It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

And here we go!

Some compression tests on a 20G tar archive (wasteland-2.tar, Linux version 1.7.0.11 from GOG), with a 3.4GHz CPU (4 cores):
gzip -6 (default compression level)
compression ratio: 45.9%
archive size: 11G
compression time: 16m
decompression time: 6m

gzip -9 (maximum compression level)
compression ratio: 46.1%
archive size: 11G
compression time: 40m
decompression time: 6m

xz mono-threaded -6 (default compression level)
compression ratio: 57.0%
archive size: 8.4G
compression time: 2h35
decompression time: 13m

xz mono-threaded -9 (maximum compression level)
compression ratio: 58.1%
archive size: 8.1G
compression time: 3h29
decompression time: 20m

xz multi-threaded (2 threads) -6
compression ratio: 56.9%
compression time: 1h13
decompression time: 14m

xz multi-threaded (2 threads) -9
compression ratio: 58.0%
archive size: 8.2G
compression time: 1h35
decompression time: 14m

xz multi-threaded (4 threads) -6
compression ratio: 56.9%
compression time: 40m
decompression time: 12m

xz multi-threaded (4 threads) -9
compression ratio: 58.0%
archive size: 8.2G
compression time: 55m
decompression time: 12m
astropup: Not much of those on GOG (high end games). This site used to be called "Good Old Games", wasn't it? :)
shmerl: Used to, but now GOG sells demanding and quite massive games as well. For small games compression method wouldn't produce major difference really. But for large ones difference can be significant.
Yeah, I think so too. For large games better compression offers quite an advantage. For smaller games it doesn't really make a difference. So overall I think better compression is the way to go. I upvoted to wishlist you mentioned.
Okay, just saw the installer runtime errors in Wine with the new freebie Akalabeth. Might be that all the new ones are affected.

(Yeah I know it has a tarball but I just wanted to see the error myself)

edit: Wine 1.7.6 (with PlayOnLinux)

edit2: This is what I get:

fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100ec enable -1: stub!
warn:ntdll:NtQueryAttributesFile L"\\??\\C:\\GOG Games\\Akalabeth - World of Doom\\__support\\Save" not found (c0000034)
warn:ntdll:NtQueryAttributesFile L"\\??\\C:\\GOG Games\\Akalabeth - World of Doom\\game" not found (c0000034)
warn:ntdll:NtQueryAttributesFile L"\\??\\C:\\GOG Games\\Akalabeth - World of Doom\\ScummVM" not found (c0000034)
warn:ntdll:NtQueryAttributesFile L"\\??\\C:\\GOG Games\\Akalabeth - World of Doom\\DOSBOX\\goggame-1207666073.dll" not found (c0000034)
fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x166f58, L"C:\\GOG Games\\Akalabeth - World of Doom\\goggame-1207666073.dll", 0x34d7f8)
warn:urlmon:ServiceProvider_QueryService unknown service {79eac9e4-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}
fixme:gameux:GAMEUX_ProcessGameDefinitionElement entry L"ReleaseDate" in Game Definition File not yet supported
fixme:gameux:GAMEUX_ProcessGameDefinitionElement entry L"Genres" in Game Definition File not yet supported
fixme:gameux:GAMEUX_ProcessGameDefinitionElement entry L"Version" in Game Definition File not yet supported
fixme:gameux:GAMEUX_ProcessGameDefinitionElement entry L"Developers" in Game Definition File not yet supported
fixme:gameux:GAMEUX_ProcessGameDefinitionElement entry L"Publishers" in Game Definition File not yet supported
fixme:gameux:GAMEUX_ProcessGameDefinitionElement entry L"GameExecutables" in Game Definition File not yet supported
fixme:gameux:GAMEUX_ProcessGameDefinitionElement entry L"ExtendedProperties" in Game Definition File not yet supported
fixme:shell:FolderImpl_Items (0x5047c90,0x34d588)
warn:ole:ITypeInfo_fnInvoke invoked function failed with error 0x80004001
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x560e398
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x56167f0
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x5621f10
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x4ff1870
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x20a530
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x211530
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x4fbfc18
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x5604c90
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x4fda030
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x56167f0
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x5621f10
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x5667dd8
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x5690cc0
warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: invalid in-use arena magic 00555555 for 0x5606280
warn:listbox:ListBoxWndProc_common [0x20102]: unknown msg be10 wp 01020001 lp 00020102
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100ee enable 0: stub!
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1d8a98,0x34d7d8: stub
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100ee enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x20108 enable 0: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x20108 enable -1: stub!
warn:driver:CloseDriver Failed to close driver
warn:listbox:ListBoxWndProc_common [0x100c6]: unknown msg bc2d wp 000100c6 lp 0034f04c
Post edited December 24, 2014 by Daliz
Daliz: Okay, just saw the installer runtime errors in Wine with the new freebie Akalabeth. Might be that all the new ones are affected.

I wonder if that all has to do with the password-protected RAR system that GOG has been using in their Innosetup installers.
Daliz: Okay, just saw the installer runtime errors in Wine with the new freebie Akalabeth. Might be that all the new ones are affected.

rampancy: I wonder if that all has to do with the password-protected RAR system that GOG has been using in their Innosetup installers.
Maybe, maybe not. The Akalabeth installer can be extracted with Innoextract so at least it's not password protected. But it still might have something to do with it, if the whole installer creation process is updated to "password-compatible".
Looks like there is a chance that Aspyr games will end up on GOG as well. That's a major thing.
Post edited January 16, 2015 by shmerl
shmerl: Looks like there is a chance that Aspyr games will end up on GOG as well. That's a major thing.
Interesting. Very interesting. I went to their website, and the Linux games they have are pretty big name games to have here:

Civilization: Beyond Earth
Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Civilization V
Borderlands 2

Is this even realistic?
shmerl: Looks like there is a chance that Aspyr games will end up on GOG as well. That's a major thing.
My heart (and my wallet) would break at the sign of the games ported by Aspyr, I hope they can strike a deal as I've passed up way too many good games to avoid Steam.
Aspyr ported titles on GOG would be awesome.
And it would mean the death of my credit card.
hummer010: I'd like to see better compression. For me it really isn't download speed but the fact that I have a monthly bandwidth cap. Better compression means I have more bandwidth to download more games.
shmerl: Data caps are really nasty. Usually mobile ISPs have them. But landline ones normally don't use caps. If they do it's a sign of some very bad market (since they have no reason to use caps besides ripping users off). And even with mobile ISPs caps is a very questionable practice.
It's not as uncommon as it used to be. All the ISP providers in my area have caps no higher than 400GB....
Post edited January 17, 2015 by king_mosiah
king_mosiah: It's not as uncommon as it used to be, sadly. All the ISP providers in my area have caps no higher than 400GB....
Lucky you!
Where I’m from, downloading 400G of data would actually take the whole month.
hummer010: Interesting. Very interesting. I went to their website, and the Linux games they have are pretty big name games to have here:

Civilization: Beyond Earth
Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Civilization V
Borderlands 2

Is this even realistic?
I'm thinking something more like Stubbs the Zombie, American McGee's Alice, BloodRayne, Doom 3, Escape from Monkey Island, Prey, Quake IV, Sim City 4...

Check here for endless possibilities! :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_ported_by_Aspyr_media
There probably won't be any Linux games from Aspyr here. AFAIK GOG has said that all their games will have Windows versions, so Aspyr games that will come here will only be ports added to games already on GOG and AFAIK none of their Linux ports are of games already on GOG. Signing Aspyr won't magically bring 2K or ZeniMax or anything like that.
Kristian: There probably won't be any Linux games from Aspyr here. AFAIK GOG has said that all their games will have Windows versions, so Aspyr games that will come here will only be ports added to games already on GOG and AFAIK none of their Linux ports are of games already on GOG. Signing Aspyr won't magically bring 2K or ZeniMax or anything like that.
That's not surprising, I see little reason for games like that to be here. They're mostly already DRM free and they already support Linux, so apart from having the games in one place, I don't see much point.
Kristian: There probably won't be any Linux games from Aspyr here. AFAIK GOG has said that all their games will have Windows versions, so Aspyr games that will come here will only be ports added to games already on GOG and AFAIK none of their Linux ports are of games already on GOG. Signing Aspyr won't magically bring 2K or ZeniMax or anything like that.
Humm, but Aspyr ported a ton of pc games to mac and some to linux. Maybe they'll be in charge of publishing, for instance, Sim City, when the latter is purchased (and played?) from a mac/linux machine.

All I know is that their catalogue is huge, awesome and varied. I'm hoping a ton of linux ports in the future and hope they'll be here! :)
Post edited January 18, 2015 by vicklemos