It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Future_Suture: Major Trine Update Should Be Released In The Next Few Months. This is how it's done, CD Projekt RED.
Was there any mention as to why the felt they need to redo the version? I loved the game, but actually bought it here and Wine'd it. I may have a HB version I picked up, but I haven't seen the state of it as a Linux native. Very interesting they are going to that effort.

I did try T2 on linux but found the thief swinging mechanics so screwed up that I found it nearly unplayable. Not sure if that was a Linux issue or a game change. If it was a game change then I'm all for a this new version getting rolled out with GOG's linux support so I can stick with the first game.
shaddim: Recently, GOL's Liam saw the light and recommends now WINE and other pragmatic approaches instead of "native" porting
shmerl: I don't see him recommending WIne instead of native porting. He simply says that there is nothing wrong with Wine (especially for games which have no chance of getting a native port). I fully agree. There is nothing "instead" in there.
I guess he misunderstood him there, for whatever reason.

Then again, Liam made pretty clear, that he still prefers native ports but doesn't see Wine as an issue at all.
Personally I totally agree with Liam: if Wine does work flawlessly, why not use it?
If the developer wants to port it natively: even better.
shmerl: I don't see him recommending WIne instead of native porting. He simply says that there is nothing wrong with Wine (especially for games which have no chance of getting a native port). I fully agree. There is nothing "instead" in there.
Freakgs: I guess he misunderstood him there, for whatever reason.

Then again, Liam made pretty clear, that he still prefers native ports but doesn't see Wine as an issue at all.
Personally I totally agree with Liam: if Wine does work flawlessly, why not use it?
I think I understood him pretty well. Switching from outright "fighting" a point of view to the position "it's OK" is a way of saying "infact, I was wrong, the other position was right" without losing face. (Beside, respect for having the courage to switch to this un-popular position!)
Post edited June 03, 2014 by shaddim
Future_Suture: Major Trine Update Should Be Released In The Next Few Months. This is how it's done, CD Projekt RED.
gooberking: Was there any mention as to why the felt they need to redo the version? I loved the game, but actually bought it here and Wine'd it. I may have a HB version I picked up, but I haven't seen the state of it as a Linux native. Very interesting they are going to that effort.
Yes, there was. It's in the link in the link I believe.
Freakgs: I guess he misunderstood him there, for whatever reason.

shaddim: I think I understood him pretty well. Switching from outright "fighting" a point of view to the position "it's OK" is a way of saying "infact, I was wrong, the other position was right" without losing face. (Beside, respect for having the courage to switch to this un-popular position!)
I think the issue is that your post indicated that he was "recommending" it as a strategy. Recommending in this context strongly suggests that it would be his preferred method of delivery, but 3 of us read the text and could only conclude that he was open to it as an option. Being open to it as a solution, and advocating it as the solution are very different stances.

For all I know that is what you meant, but it's not how I personally read your statement.
Wine ports aren't a long-term concern since it still doesn't support DirectX 10 or later (unless that has changed recently), so developers wanting to put the latest shiny games on Linux will have to do native ports anyway.
Arkose: Wine ports aren't a long-term concern since it still doesn't support DirectX 10 or later (unless that has changed recently), so developers wanting to put the latest shiny games on Linux will have to do native ports anyway.
That is sadly not the case with The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. CD Projekt RED just found a different wrapper to use i.e. one that is completely unproven on Linux and has caused a lot of customers headaches so far.
Future_Suture: That is sadly not the case with The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. CD Projekt RED just found a different wrapper to use i.e. one that is completely unproven on Linux and has caused a lot of customers headaches so far.
The Witcher 2 is still DirectX 9.
Post edited June 03, 2014 by Arkose
Future_Suture: That is sadly not the case with The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. CD Projekt RED just found a different wrapper to use i.e. one that is completely unproven on Linux and has caused a lot of customers headaches so far.
Arkose: The Witcher 2 is still DirectX 9.
Hot damn. Thanks for correcting me. Doing a search now, it's apparent that many people were shocked that this did not ship with DirectX 10 or DirectX 11.
shaddim: I think I understood him pretty well. Switching from outright "fighting" a point of view to the position "it's OK" is a way of saying "infact, I was wrong, the other position was right" without losing face. (Beside, respect for having the courage to switch to this un-popular position!)
gooberking: I think the issue is that your post indicated that he was "recommending" it as a strategy. Recommending in this context strongly suggests that it would be his preferred method of delivery, but 3 of us read the text and could only conclude that he was open to it as an option. Being open to it as a solution, and advocating it as the solution are very different stances.

For all I know that is what you meant, but it's not how I personally read your statement.
Well said, sir.
So it looks like TW3 is going to be on SteamOS which means us Linux hippies should also get to enjoy it.
Attachments:
Hmm, the current GoG sale has two gems I'd like to buy but not without the (existing) Linux port.
Steamworld: Dig and Rogue Legacy.
Is there a big chance that I get the Linux versions later on when I buy it now here?
Klumpen0815: Hmm, the current GoG sale has two gems I'd like to buy but not without the (existing) Linux port.
Steamworld: Dig and Rogue Legacy.
Is there a big chance that I get the Linux versions later on when I buy it now here?
GOG plans to roll out Linux support later this year, but that doesn't guarantee that binaries will be added right at that moment.
silviucc: So it looks like TW3 is going to be on SteamOS which means us Linux hippies should also get to enjoy it.
I think I'll wait till GOG launches Linux support including Galaxy for Linux and see how things go before I buy anything on GOG again. A lot of people got burned by the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings for Linux.
Post edited June 07, 2014 by Future_Suture
I just upgraded to Mint 17, so hoping Linux support comes sooner than later...