It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: I think almost all the Muppet movies are brilliant, though obviously some are much better than others (the Muppet Christmas Carol being probably my favourite). I was very happy that the two new movies were quite good too. I'm just worried about what will happen to the Muppets now, after the second movie's disappointing box office and the cancelation of their latest TV show. And the new guy doing the voice of Kermit just sounds wrong...
Hmm yeah that does sound a bit different :P I can't say I'm a devoted fan or anything. There are a lot of muppet films and shows I haven't seen. I did love Muppets Tonight though back in the day :)

Matewis: Mad Max
Also for the third or fourth time. Still the best action movie I've ever seen.
Breja: Much as I love the franchise, I don't think the first movie aged very well. It certainly doesn't measure up against it's own sequels.
Don't know what I was thinking, I meant I saw the 2015 one, Fury Road :) I also saw the first one a bit earlier the year, and I'm not sure what to make of it. It has an incredibly weird vibe. Sort of like everyone's either crazy or busy going crazy. Which, I think, fits very well with the whole 'society on the brink of collapse' setting. Other than that I still found the chases scenes pretty exciting. And yet, I was relieved when the film came to an end.
I should mention though that apart from Fury Road I still have to see the sequels.
Just watched Sonatine for what must be the hundredth time.

A dark Japanese yakuza film staring, written by and directed by Takeshi Kitano (live action Ghost in the Shell). Simply put, a group of yakuza from Tokyo are sent Okinawa to mediate a peace deal in a gang war there. Things go wrong so they retreat and hide out in a beach house to await their orders from Tokyo.

Really good film my favourite from Kitano.
The Shining. Hadn't seen this all the way through in a long time but it holds up quite well. The funny thing is that Nicholson's crazy man routine at the end ("Here's Johnny!") is the creakiest part of the film and it feels like his performance is suddenly beamed in from another movie. I would guess that it's actually a part of his performance as the Joker, which somehow became self-aware and traveled back in time.

The real star of the show is the setting and the steadicam work, which Kubrick uses the way most filmmakers today use CGI effects. Steadicam was such a nice innovation; it's a pity some jerk decided that movies look "more real" and gritty without it *gives side-eye to Paul Greengrass*
St. Vincent is what other feel-good comedies strive to be, but never achieve. Bill Murray is great as a generally mean person with lots of vices and the other characters played by Melissa McCarthy, Chris O'Dowd and Jaeden Lieberher (the little kid) all add something to the movie. It's thoroughly entertaining, even in the emotional and "we have a message with this movie"-scenes, which all too often makes movies sag. After watching it, I thought to myself "why can't more movies be this good".
I've just watched 9, an animated movie from 2009, which could be summed up with "if Tim Burton made a Terminator movie". It stars puppets, left in a world ravaged by a war between machines and humans. Not much more needs to be said about the plot. I haven't been this amazed since I saw Coraline.

It's based on a short movie from 2005 by animator/director Shane Acker and was made a feature film in 2009 with Tim Burton as one of the producers and Shane Acker as animator/director once again. Like the Terminator movies, the characters are quite stereotypical, but that's not the main attraction here. Rather, it's the attention to detail and imaginative surroundings. The animation and action sequences are really well-made and while the characters themselves aren't that deep, the voice actors do a really good job of making the puppets feel alive.
bad_fur_day1: Finding Dory

I can happily report that it's as lovable a film as Finding Nemo.

Just keep on swimming.
I watched this a few weeks ago. I liked it better overall than the first one!

I watched last night The Lost City of Z* (or something like that) I thought it wasn't very good.
Tytus-: I watched last night The Lost City of Z* (or something like that) I thought it wasn't very good.
I'm trying to psych myself up for watching that one, because the book was really good, but the trailers look so dull...

I watched It over the weekend. I thought it was pretty good. Definitely looks to be one of the better Stephen King movies, although that's not too hard considering how awful most of them are. Hopefully the second part will be good.
Tytus-: I watched last night The Lost City of Z* (or something like that) I thought it wasn't very good.
andysheets1975: I'm trying to psych myself up for watching that one, because the book was really good, but the trailers look so dull...

I watched It over the weekend. I thought it was pretty good. Definitely looks to be one of the better Stephen King movies, although that's not too hard considering how awful most of them are. Hopefully the second part will be good.
Well, I went in expecting a completely different version of the book. I thought it would be more accurately based on Fawcetts spiritual and esoteric side regarding the true meaning of the City of Z and his true reasons for finding it.

It could have been a very Indiana Jone's type tale, but instead they chose to go a very bland path where not much of anything happens. You see some piranhas and some illness but not much else, far different from all the perils the book and Fawcett describe. Even in current Amazonian adventures, it is known to contain some vile creatures and treacheries. My mother grew up in Ecuador and would tell me how you never venture too deep into the jungles or you won't come back, cannibal tribes etc SPOILER (I know they were in the movie, but friendly cannibals? come on..well,mostly friendly, heh) Though in the movie it looks easier to trek through than an episode of Survivorman.

I was expecting the movie to touch much more on this:
http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/percy-fawcett-victim-of-a-theosophical-obsession

The whole premise of the movie is completely wrong. It wasn't about finding an ancient civilization that was 'advanced' for their time. The Incas, Mayans, and Aztects were all known and believed to be very real. It was something much More.
Wizard if Lies

Robert De Niro plays Bernie Madoff and the film is about the events surrounding the revelation that he was operating a ponzi scheme. I found it pretty gripping, mostly I think because of how incredible De Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer (Bernie's wife) is in it
I've just watched Silence.

It's a great movie that portrays the struggle of a man to stay strong when his belief is under attack, in which in this case, it's his religion.
Dark City, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118929, is one of the best examples of thought-provoking science fiction that I know of. After watching it, I wanted to stay in the moment, in the feeling it gave me, to the extent that I watched the whole extensive credits list. Rarely ever do that. When a movie is over, it's over and I can just look up any additional info on imdb.com, rather than watching the credits. This is the kind of movie where the less you know the better. It takes world building to another level, both figuratively as well as literally.
Blade Runner 2049.

A great film, although I'd argue that it falls slightly short of the original, if only because it tries a little too hard to wear its philosophical credentials on its sleeve as opposed to the original, whose internalised philosophical debate flowed from it a little more smoothly and naturally. Great performance by Ryan Gosling and Ford, also Sylvia Hoeks is rarely mentioned but gave a superb performance.
Saw Blade Runner 2049 yesterday (the last movie i saw at the cinema was John Wick 2... so i rarely go especially at full price ticketing) -- i liked the original quite a lot. The new one was in similar mould . Cinematography, acting, musical score and plot development. Nice!!!.Movie was a bit long to sit in (close to 2.5 hours) but worth it for me. Oh Ana De Armas is gorgeous...:D
Sum of all Fears.

Pity they didn't show the nuke scene. Did they cheap out?

edit: And Ben Affleck? *snort* Kept reminding me of Ryan Reynolds
Post edited October 08, 2017 by drmike
Beyond The Black Rainbow

Absolutely awesome movie and totally in love with it, if you like 2001 A Space Oddyssee and Solyaris, you will like this too.
Post edited October 08, 2017 by Strijkbout