It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Choose a career. Choose your friends. Choose life.

<span class="bold">Kenshi</span>, a revolutionary, build-your-own-story sandbox RPG, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 25% launch discount.

People will have you believe that it's hard being a hero, but what nobody tells you is that being a face in the crowd can be even harder, if you do it right. Because, even though you are not stronger, faster, or tougher than anybody else, you can still try to make a difference. You can gather a group of other slobs around you, train them to become fighters, give them a purpose, start a rebellion against the slavers, then carry your wounded mates from the battlefield back to your stronghold. Or you can lead the quiet life of a farmer or trader, as long as you can keep the beasts and cannibals at bay. This is an huge, unforgiving world full of opportunities, ruthless people, and random acts of cruelty, even at this alpha stage of development. Creators Lo-fi Games promise to keep adding and polishing stuff along the way, same as your character can do when he's building and maintaining his base of operations.

Be whoever you want to be, as long as you can get enough people to follow you, in <span class="bold">Kenshi</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 25% launch discount will last until August 11, 2:59 PM UTC.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1JUZv7ddSHU
Post edited August 05, 2016 by maladr0Id
anothername: 1 down, 2 to go :D

Can somebody tell if:

Does it has proper save/reload or goes the roguelike route?

Realtime/action combat (Oblivion); turn based or cool-down based/ tabtargeting (WoW)?

Also other InDevs have the Devs chiming In; anybody watching of them? ;)
1). Save/load with no limitations. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is a cornerstone of this game's philosophy, so don't hurry to load if your squad gets beaten up. As long as somebody isn't too hurt to get back up, he can patch up the rest. Getting beaten up makes your chars a lot tougher.
2). It's played as an RTS - chars are controlled with the mouse. Combat is realtime. Basically you can choose targets, move chars around and have them do non-combat actions (healing, picking up bodies), but don't really have any direct control of how they fight. Frequency of strikes/blocks is governed by their stats. You can enable Block mode to get a boost to blocking, but the char won't be making any hits in this case.
MaximumBunny: Will this be available in GOG Connect? :>
Let's hope so :p

Have had this on Steam since shortly after it came out there. Never actually put any serious time in it though :/
Had this game for a number of years now. Last time I tried this was, no idea, 6 months ago?. I believe I have over 100 hours playtime in total, game shows a lot of promise hope the developer can make it happen.
anothername: 1 down, 2 to go :D

Can somebody tell if:

Does it has proper save/reload or goes the roguelike route?

Realtime/action combat (Oblivion); turn based or cool-down based/ tabtargeting (WoW)?

Also other InDevs have the Devs chiming In; anybody watching of them? ;)
Tenath: 1). Save/load with no limitations. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is a cornerstone of this game's philosophy, so don't hurry to load if your squad gets beaten up. As long as somebody isn't too hurt to get back up, he can patch up the rest. Getting beaten up makes your chars a lot tougher.
2). It's played as an RTS - chars are controlled with the mouse. Combat is realtime. Basically you can choose targets, move chars around and have them do non-combat actions (healing, picking up bodies), but don't really have any direct control of how they fight. Frequency of strikes/blocks is governed by their stats. You can enable Block mode to get a boost to blocking, but the char won't be making any hits in this case.
Thanks a lot! :)

Currently not in the mood for that type of combat, but will follow that game.
DukeNukemForever: Mmmh, I have it on Gamersgate now for years, still says it's in alpha. I really thought it was already abandoned, because there was no progress visible for years (at least for the gamersgate version). I don't want to say anything games in development for a long time, but there is a time frame every should plan beforehand, otherwise the game will be forgotten or the interest got lost. This one is a good example for it.

I would really appreciate and recommend if GOG and the developers would add a roadmap for every early access game, at least some lines from the developer what and how he wants to do. If your game needs time, please make the progress and your goals visible as good as you can.

amrit9037: I see as a good omen.
See Starbound was rotting on steam for ages.
It comes to gog and **BOOM** gets a full release.
So now it's time for Kenshi.

Wishlisted for now.
DukeNukemForever: In comparison to this game was Starbound a quickie. Three years Starbound, this one is at least five years (need to check my mails if I can track when I bought it).
You may have bought it in the IndieFort bundle on gamersgate at the same time I did, my order history says 8th April 2012 for that one.

I think GamersGate may have stopped updating the download but last time I tried it the key worked fine on the download from the Kenshi website.
Picard85: I'm surprised GOG approved this game since they're usually fairly strict and this has been in development for a bajillion years give or take a few eons. I guess it's had good sales?
Indeed. I remember stumbling upon this one at IndieGameStand over 2 years ago.

On the bright side, the fact that it's taking so long even with frequent updates could be a good sign.
Definitely one I've had my eye on for a few years. It being on GOG might just be enough to get me to purchase. :)
EndlessWaves: You may have bought it in the IndieFort bundle on gamersgate at the same time I did, my order history says 8th April 2012 for that one.

I think GamersGate may have stopped updating the download but last time I tried it the key worked fine on the download from the Kenshi website.
Ah, that's interesting. I did not know that you can use the serial number from gamersgate to get the latest version from the developers website. Thanks for that information.
Any chance this could be added to the GOG connect? thanks
From a review:

"...Here are a few things I ran into within 10 mins of starting the game:
The AI doesn't seem to be ready for even a beta (maybe an alpha build). Enemy AI followed me for about 2 mins before I gave up and just got knocked out. Either their agro range is huge or they follow until you loose or win the fight. Town guards just watched me get beat down and only when I was knocked out did they attack the bandits who attacked me.
The world is very barren, apart from the starting town and the odd hut, that's all I saw while running around there was basically nothing else (an odd mining node or two).
Controls felt very clunky. You can't angle the camera up to look at the night sky or up a hill as it appears to lock at 90 degrees to the ground (although you can look down). Clicking on objects was a bit hit or miss, with the detection box on objects seemly not matching the models, e.g. clicking on a human only works if you click the chest but not the hands or feet. ..."

Do people really pay to be beta testers?
Picard85: I'm surprised GOG approved this game since they're usually fairly strict and this has been in development for a bajillion years give or take a few eons. I guess it's had good sales?
There is not really any time estimation how long it will be in development, but I guess most people expect the Games in Development on GOG to become finished within a reasonable time frame, say half a year to a year maybe.

This means that in one year we can make some statistics and get an impression how reliable the development of the games in development is.
Post edited August 08, 2016 by Trilarion
Trilarion: From a review:

"...Here are a few things I ran into within 10 mins of starting the game:
The AI doesn't seem to be ready for even a beta (maybe an alpha build). Enemy AI followed me for about 2 mins before I gave up and just got knocked out. Either their agro range is huge or they follow until you loose or win the fight. Town guards just watched me get beat down and only when I was knocked out did they attack the bandits who attacked me.
The world is very barren, apart from the starting town and the odd hut, that's all I saw while running around there was basically nothing else (an odd mining node or two).
Controls felt very clunky. You can't angle the camera up to look at the night sky or up a hill as it appears to lock at 90 degrees to the ground (although you can look down). Clicking on objects was a bit hit or miss, with the detection box on objects seemly not matching the models, e.g. clicking on a human only works if you click the chest but not the hands or feet. ..."

Do people really pay to be beta testers?
Huh, feels like we've played two completely different games.

Aggro range is very roughly 100-150 meters. If you're anywhere near hostiles that you can't handle, you're better off sneaking. If your athletics skill is higher than that of enemies, you can usually outrun them. Don't think I've ever seen guards ignore attacking bandits like this, and I've had this game since early 2012. As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, getting beaten up is part of the process, so it's no reason to quit if none of your characters actually die.

As for the world being barren, they've recently (April) moved over to a new world map, only ~2/7 of it is complete and available. The terrain itself is very detailed and fairly varied, but interactive objects are indeed fairly few. There's more than a dozen cities and villages on the part that's available. There's a few locations like ruins that you can visit and loot (or fight the inhabitants).

Camera and controls are absolutely standard fare modern RTS. I've only ever seen a couple of games in the genre that don't have 90 degree camera lock (Ground Control and some Total Wars, I think?). Unit selection works via hitboxes, none of which tend to be terribly detailed in any RTS, but I've never had any trouble selecting targets, whether my own or enemy units.

He also complains about the lack of purpose in this game, well the primary things you can do in the game right now are town/base building, training your characters to face stronger opposition, and exploration - the environments themselves are fairly interesting, if a bit underpopulated at the moment.

I guess part of the problem is that people treat this game as an RPG, when in reality it's more of an RTS with heavy RPG elements.

It's been in development for quite a while, but unlike many other Early Access games the base concept for it has not changed, and the devs have been working on it consistently to make it bigger and better. I'd say it suffers a bit from some feature creep, rather than lack of direction (*cough* Starbound *cough*). Right now all it needs is more and deeper content, rather than new features.
My jaw is on the floor, I was literally maybe a month or two out from getting this on Steam and it comes out on GOG...now I don't have to get it on Steam! Overjoyed, seriously! I'm snapping this up before we get too far into Fall, that's for sure!
Fun game. I'm a big fan of scripting AI for teammates and this game, for the most part, does not disappoint. But there are issues that keep Kenshi, in it's current state, from being enjoyable. The AI pathfinding can be troublesome, which gets worse as you grow your squads in numbers, or when trying to shop in towns. For instance, sometimes my units would try to take shortcuts through stores as they are closing, forcing me to break them out through the front door using lockpicking. Those stores are now unable to be entered by any of my units. Other times my units would stop traveling to their destination and I would need to micromanage their paths.

Some things, like disposing of enemy corpses using the corpse furnace, aren't finish and don't work. This would be less annoying if the menus indicated as such, instead of the player fiddling with AI and rebuilding something that does not work.

Very promising game that gets a little more disappointing every time you "advance" toward any real goal. I'll be following the updates because I think it could be a really fun, engaging game with some bug fixes.

Some advice for people having frame rate issues: drop the texture quality to medium and/or lower the city npcs/guard npcs to minimum. This gave me at least 10-20 FPS more than the default settings.
vicious7171: Fun game. I'm a big fan of scripting AI for teammates and this game, for the most part, does not disappoint. But there are issues that keep Kenshi, in it's current state, from being enjoyable. The AI pathfinding can be troublesome, which gets worse as you grow your squads in numbers, or when trying to shop in towns. For instance, sometimes my units would try to take shortcuts through stores as they are closing, forcing me to break them out through the front door using lockpicking. Those stores are now unable to be entered by any of my units. Other times my units would stop traveling to their destination and I would need to micromanage their paths.

Some things, like disposing of enemy corpses using the corpse furnace, aren't finish and don't work. This would be less annoying if the menus indicated as such, instead of the player fiddling with AI and rebuilding something that does not work.
I agree with you regarding the pathfinding, but I think it's partly related to the map restrictions in the beta (the pathfinding AI directs the unit to a path that's closed for the time being). I've also encountered bugs relating to closing gates (making players who are already passed the gate stuck until the gate is opened again).

The corpse furnace seems to work fine for me though.

I've played the game quite a bit over the past week, and it's definitively on the right path. It can be a terrific game over time.
The corpse disposal wasn't working with monsters, at least River Raptors, while I was playing. Every time I would put someone on corpse disposal duty, they would run to the nearest River Raptor and stop in their tracks, even with an empty inventory and big backpack.