It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Guys, just a heads up.

Imperialism series has been crippled by the latest Windows 10 update KB4090914. This update is also uninstallable , so if you haven't created a system restore checkpoint prior to this auto-update, that's the end of playing Imperialism for now.

This update causes Imp I and II to crash when a map is selected prior to starting the sim. The traditional workarounds, DEP and turning off sound don't work. The Game will CTD.

This update affects the latest GoG builds for Imperialism I and II.

GoG , will you kindly look at this problem when you have a moment?

Many thanks in advance

Sologtk
Every Godamned time there's a Windows update it breaks something on mine. Fuck You MIcrosfost. Never. Another. Dime.
OldFatGuy: Every Godamned time there's a Windows update it breaks something on mine. Fuck You MIcrosfost. Never. Another. Dime.
Didn't the newest computer that you just put together (the last.rig.ever.) have Windows 10?
Crap. I was thinking of booting one of those up soon.
OldFatGuy: Every Godamned time there's a Windows update it breaks something on mine. Fuck You MIcrosfost. Never. Another. Dime.
TARFU: Didn't the newest computer that you just put together (the last.rig.ever.) have Windows 10?
Haven't actually gotten it together yet but yes.. and that will be the last dime Microsoft ever gets from me (bought that in Dec 2017).
TARFU: Didn't the newest computer that you just put together (the last.rig.ever.) have Windows 10?
OldFatGuy: Haven't actually gotten it together yet but yes.. and that will be the last dime Microsoft ever gets from me (bought that in Dec 2017).
I figured you would've had it built by now. I don't think I could resist having all that hardware just sitting there and not using it. It would be torture. lol
OldFatGuy: Haven't actually gotten it together yet but yes.. and that will be the last dime Microsoft ever gets from me (bought that in Dec 2017).
TARFU: I figured you would've had it built by now. I don't think I could resist having all that hardware just sitting there and not using it. It would be torture. lol
Unfortunately, you can't really buy a prebuilt (non-Mac) PC without it coming with Windows, and when you can, it is oftem *more* expensive.

Of course, you could buy a Windows machine and just install Linux over it, but depending on the computer, some devices might not work well, and certain tasks (like BIOS upgrading) might not work so well.

With that said, I have been using Linux for a very long time, and I prefer it to Windows, even if we ignore things like mandatory Windows upgrades.

(By the way, if you are stuck on Windows but want to learn Linux, you can try it by using a virtual machine, or alternatively you could enable WSL and run software made for Linux on your Windows PC.)
sologtk: GoG , will you kindly look at this problem when you have a moment?
LOL you think GOG will fix this? if they do wait a good few months. I know they will only fix this if there is enough people who complain about it. Give support a try maybe they might have a dude who knows how to fix it off the bat but getting a mass fix is gonna be interesting to see done.
Windows 10 was a mistake.
One more time....

Run services.msc as admin.

Disable Windows Update

Disable Windows Module Installer.
sologtk: GoG , will you kindly look at this problem when you have a moment?
Like most support forums, they're customer driven with little to no employee support. You need to contact them directly:

https://support.gog.com/hc

Hope this helps

edit: Looks like it;s already been reported and maybe fixed:

https://www.gog.com/forum/imperialism_series/imperialism_2_broken_after_win_10_anniversary_update
Post edited March 22, 2018 by drmike
This is the reason I still have 2 laptops - one with XP and another with WIN 7 and play most of the old games with these two. I use my Win 10 laptop for newer games.
athineos: This is the reason I still have 2 laptops - one with XP and another with WIN 7 and play most of the old games with these two. I use my Win 10 laptop for newer games.
So, you have 3 laptops?
I used to have Windows 10 on my system, not long after it came out. Then I decided to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro.
i love 10

i guess I'm a big asshole :P
tinyE: i love 10

i guess I'm a big asshole :P
I liked 7 a lot.

I'm a "yuge" asshole.