It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE: i love 10

i guess I'm a big asshole :P
OldFatGuy: I liked 7 a lot.

I'm a "yuge" asshole.
Oh god, I had a guy here two weeks ago kept saying that.

Kept YELLING it. Over and over and over. Never once dawned on him he was annoying the piss out of everyone.
Hi Dr. Mike,

I did see that thread regarding the Anniversary update Imperialism dramas. However, the latest update to break Imperialism is new, and released 14-17 March 2018.

Kind regards

Sologtk

drmike: One more time....

Run services.msc as admin.

Disable Windows Update

Disable Windows Module Installer.
sologtk: GoG , will you kindly look at this problem when you have a moment?
drmike: Like most support forums, they're customer driven with little to no employee support. You need to contact them directly:

https://support.gog.com/hc

Hope this helps

edit: Looks like it;s already been reported and maybe fixed:

https://www.gog.com/forum/imperialism_series/imperialism_2_broken_after_win_10_anniversary_update
athineos: This is the reason I still have 2 laptops - one with XP and another with WIN 7 and play most of the old games with these two. I use my Win 10 laptop for newer games.
ariaspi: So, you have 3 laptops?
Actually I have 4. WIN 10 is my least favourite.
Ha ha ha. I have neither let my Nvidia drivers nor Windows updates auto install themselves in months.
And people still stay theres no reason to keep using Windows 7. I wonder how many GOG games either don't work on Win 10 or have serious compatibility issues....
Post edited March 22, 2018 by Crosmando
tinyE: i love 10

i guess I'm a big asshole :P
OldFatGuy: I liked 7 a lot.

I'm a "yuge" asshole.
7 was simplistic, I loved it a lot but I wish they re-do 7 with the 10 look on it but 7 as the shell. Would have been amazing having an up to date 7 with 10 features on it.
So, how long before people start reformatting and putting Win XP or Win7 on their computers?
Hm. I guess I'll wait a week or two for them to iron the issues out. Or just for the big spring update.

Meanwhile, in Linuxland, there was a kernel update, and I'd say things are feeling more stable.

Heck, the kernel is currently undergoing a cleaning to get rid of code for obsolete arch that nobody uses.
Post edited March 22, 2018 by Darvond
rtcvb32: So, how long before people start reformatting and putting Win XP or Win7 on their computers?
Already doing it if you can. The issue is that the more newer hardware only supports windows 10.

Of course there are ways around that as some folks have been writing drivers for the older new stuff.
drmike: Already doing it if you can. The issue is that the more newer hardware only supports windows 10.
That's silly. Although i can see a lot of prebuilt systems having only drivers for windows 10, but custom made systems are going to be a lot more lenient.
deleted
Mmmmmm... so I hadn't played Imperialism (either 1 or 2... and by the way... am I the only one who thought 1 was way, way, WAY harder than 2? That game used to piss me off no end LOL).. anyway I hadn't played either one in at least 3 years... which was before this laptop (Which is a Windows 10 laptop. But I didn't get the update listed... I verified).

After reading and commenting in this thread I guess it planted a seed in my brain that today finally budded and I wanted to play me some Imperialism. But I'm running Win 10 so I had no great hope.

I installed and played both games without a hitch.

Not so much as a flickering of the screen. I mean it installed.. I clicked "Launch" and away we went (where 1 kicked my ass AGAIN). Maybe I owe Microsoft an apology...... NAH. They're still assholes.

Don't know what to tell you though about the games. I had zero problems with either one of them... lol and usually I'm the one having problems when no one else is... just ask someone about my downloading drama lol.

But maybe if you uninstall that update? Worth a try???
Post edited March 26, 2018 by OldFatGuy
*Turns off updates on any windows machine (s)he has. Has few issues*
DreamedArtist: LOL you think GOG will fix this? if they do wait a good few months. I know they will only fix this if there is enough people who complain about it.
Why wouldn't they try to fix it? Otherwise they cannot mark those games as Windows 10 compatible anymore, and possibly need to remove them from the store (because new customers, of which 99% have Windows 10, couldn't buy it anymore).

Whether they are able to fix it is a different question of course, but they have fixed lots of games in the past to make them (again) compatible with newer Windows versions or Windows updates.

Then again, I'd like a confirmation from others that this is really an universal problem and not a single incident, or something about just enabling DirectPlay again fixes the problem. Haven't we had those before where Windows 10 disabled some features that old games rely on?

Luckily I am still running Windows 7 so I guess I can still play those games, but for my future PCs which most probably will have Windows 10 by default, I guess I try overcome these kinds of compatibility problems by keeping also Linux installed on the side. If it doesn't work on some new Windows update, maybe Linux WINE is able to run it?

OldFatGuy: I installed and played both games without a hitch.
Ah ok, so this WAS just a single-incident, not an universal Windows 10 update problem?
Post edited March 26, 2018 by timppu
So disappointing: if the topic title were missing the word "Series", it would've been perfect for my "Let's take sentences out of context!" thread. :.(