It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
BUG REPORTING: Please use http://mantis.gog.com

Always attach your logs when reporting bugs. You can find them at:
On Windows Vista or later: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On MacOSX: /Users/Shared/GOG.com/Galaxy/Logs

---

Hi, everyone!

The Galaxy team is hard at work to bring you the Client application that will let you manage your GOG.com games library more conveniently. We’d love for the initial release experience to be as smooth and streamlined as possible for everyone, but releasing an app of this scope is no easy feat.

But before we jump in and hand out the alpha Client, we’d like to set some ground rules.

1) The key word here is ‘alpha’, which means that this is not the final app and not all functionalities are present. The purpose of this test is to evaluate the core tech in the Client on a wider set of computer configurations than what we can locally test on, so only core features are included. Below I will post a detailed list of what is present and what we plan to add in future releases.

2) Alpha also means that you can encounter some unexpected issues. If you have a metered connection (a bandwidth cap or payments per bandwidth used) or you’re currently playing and can’t afford a loss of game time, this might not be for you. In other words, if you want to avoid potential problems with the alpha Client, simply wait for the final release.

3) Please, please, please refrain from posting screenshots, reviews or first impressions, both on our forums or elsewhere, as this is not the final product and many changes will still be made.

If you’ve read all of the above proceed to the signup page: http://www.gog.com/galaxy/alpha

We will be sending out invitations in batches (along with some more info on how to install the client and report bugs), so not everyone will receive one right away.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by Destro
high rated
Hi everyone,

we've released the 0.7 version a couple of minutes ago, here's the changelog:

- Back/Forward navigation in the Store section
- Import Folder - it is now possible to import a game which is not compatible with the client, by clicking the game in the Library section and choosing ‘Import Folder’ from the More dropdown
- Startup page option - it is now possible to decide if the client should start on LIBRARY page, STORE page, or continue previous session
- Search option - you can press enter in the search field to continue searching in the Store
- Option to Show Game Folder added to MORE menu
- New sidebar sorting options (sort by name)
- External links will now be forwarded to the system browser
- Wishlist option added to the LIBRARY menu
- Community option in the STORE menu
- Forum Replies option in the ACCOUNT menu
- Option to keep saves, when uninstalling a game
- Windows: starting the client when another instance is already running should now open the running instance (rather than displaying error message)
- Improved ‘Last Played’ information, which should now show the time of the user stopped playing the game, rather than started playing the game
- Fixed uninstallation issues on Windows
- Fixed an issue which prevented using Paypal, when buying a game
- Fixed an issue which prevented from displaying Terms and Agreements when registering new account
- Fixed some issues when installing and uninstalling DLCs
- Bugfix: client will now not allow dragging elements onto its window
- Fixed memory leaks, causing to crash the application when downloading lots of games
- Fixed a bug which was causing the client to crash on exit
- Fixed an issue, which sometimes caused the client to duplicate the news on game view
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Destro
high rated
HOW TO IMPORT EXISTING GAMES INSTALLATIONS INTO GALAXY

1. For GOG games installed using installers from the last few months (so called Galaxy-compatible installers)
Click the "+" button on top of the sidebar and select "scan and import folders" - it will find all compatible games within that folder and add them to the Client.

2. For remaining GOG game INSTALLATIONS
Find the game in the Library, then click the More button and select "Manage" -> "Import folder" and point the folder selector into the folder where that game is installed.
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Destro
skeletonbow: You seem to have mistaken the idea of becoming an alpha tester for an unfinished product that is in a state of testing the core functionality - with testing a finalized feature-complete end product that is highly polished.
mvscot: Actually as a former software developer I'm well aware what an alpha test is (it's testing done internally before software is sufficiently feature-complete for beta testing by potential customers - I admit that may be an old-fashioned definition, though!).

I was basically just pointing out that I couldn't even get started using this thing, and whining about a few pet peeves too. ;-)

skeletonbow: As an aside though, symlinks do not work very well in Windows with a variety of software because most software wasn't written expecting that sort of thing. I'd recommend using Windows junction points instead as that is pretty much fully transparent to most if not all software and serves more or less the same purpose.
mvscot: Junction points always behaved even worse for me!

It's true that Microsoft rarely introduce "new" features like symlinks without breaking their developers' crappy software (it's not as if they had 4.2BSD's adoption of symlinks way back in 1983 to set an example... oh wait!).

Galaxy development started years after even Windows had symlinks, so no excuse, sorry!
I'm far more forgiving than you then... ;) Quite honestly the majority of the customer audience doesn't even have the foggiest clue what a symbolic link, a hard link, or a junction point even is and probably never will. As far as bug reports go, I imagine the total number of people who would ever even encounter such a bug or lack of feature probably is countable on one hand and 2 of us are right here right now (although I haven't encountered it). :) So giving the benefit of doubt that it is a problem I'd still excuse it as being "extremely low priority affects almost nobody" insofar as laying out bug report priorities and allocating resources to fix. That's just my own developer side showing through though having been buried in endless thousands of bug reports myself in days gone by. :)

I'm sure GOG would potentially fix the problem but I wouldn't expect them to flag it as a mission critical blocker bug nor drop everything and put The Witcher 3 on hold until it gets fixed. It's more of a low consequence thing that none of the developers is likely to have even thought of.
Please add an option to minimize on start.
Cavenagh: Will this automatically update games I have installed?
Fallen_Zen: Yes, you can even disable auto-update for games individually. In the future you'll be able to disable auto-updates globally (see GOG Galaxy settings and coming soon features).
Thanks for the reply Fallen_Zen

All the best
So I just received the alpha key but I''m a linux user so I cant run it. Is there an ETA for linux version?
Hey GOG, thanks for giving me a chance to try out the client! Working pretty sweetly so far, which is a relief since the downloader hasn't worked on this machine since 2011 for some reason.

Thanks again!
zollac: So I just received the alpha key but I''m a linux user so I cant run it. Is there an ETA for linux version?
It's in development that's really all we know. No ETA as of now. :)
mvscot: Galaxy development started years after even Windows had symlinks, so no excuse, sorry!
skeletonbow: I'm far more forgiving than you then... ;) Quite honestly the majority of the customer audience doesn't even have the foggiest clue what a symbolic link, a hard link, or a junction point even is and probably never will.
You speak rationally and with an annoying amount of common sense. ;-)

However, I do expect a competent developer to be aware of symlinks and many other things that lesser programmers fall over all the time. In my experience, such lack of attention generally spells disaster for a software product. (And by disaster, I mean annoying little bugs that pop up all over the place so that you can only hope to whack a few before the next ones pop up.... :-)

EDIT: I'm willing to license my idea for a whack-a-bug mini-game for a modest fee.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by mvscot
I got an invite code for Galaxy today and I am in love with it! It looks great and makes GOG the #1 platform as far as I'm concerned. Only problem so far is that when I try to make a purchase in Galaxy using PayPal it opens the PayPal window off screen somewhere and I can't get to it. I can see the thumbnail for the opened window in the Taskbar but can't access it.
Destro: HOW TO IMPORT EXISTING GAMES INSTALLATIONS INTO GALAXY

1. For GOG games installed using installers from the last few months (so called Galaxy-compatible installers)
Click the "+" button on top of the sidebar and select "scan and import folders" - it will find all compatible games within that folder and add them to the Client.

2. For remaining GOG game INSTALLATIONS
Find the game in the Library, then click the More button and select "Manage" -> "Import folder" and point the folder selector into the folder where that game is installed.
I just downloaded The Witcher using GOG Downloader as my local backup was missing files, so I now have the absolute most recent version of The Witcher locally. I installed it manually using the standard installer, then tried both of the above techniques and Galaxy reported that no game could be found in the directory I provided, which I've confirmed is where the game got properly installed. The game launches the non-Galaxy way properly confirming the installation works and didn't get corrupted.

Looking in the game install dir, the galaxy manifest files are not present so I'm assuming The Witcher manual download has not been updated for Galaxy yet? I also have The Witcher 2 installed the same way with the same problem. These are installed under "E:\GOG Games\" where I install all my games.

I can file a bug report in mantis if desired just let me know if it is an unknown issue worth filing. I didn't want to test-install either game through Galaxy at the moment as that would burn about 40GB of bandwidth although I can test that at some point in the future potentially.
I like what I see so far, but it is really going to annoy a lot of users that some games already installed have to be downloaded in full again. Some of these games are big.

Also once downloading a game the client seems to steal every bit of bandwidth so using the Internet for anything else is a nightmare.
ceckersley: I like what I see so far, but it is really going to annoy a lot of users that some games already installed have to be downloaded in full again. Some of these games are big.

Also once downloading a game the client seems to steal every bit of bandwidth so using the Internet for anything else is a nightmare.
There's a "Import Folder" option for the games you have installed but are not yet compatible with GOG Galaxy. Have you tried that? Click on the game's image in the library.

Here's how to sync for example existing installation of Infested Planet.
Attachments:
I just got my alpha. The client holds a lot of promise, and I like that it doesn't completely take over. I'm curious if there is (or will be) any way to control the client either via command line or accessing urls like you can with steam. Mostly, I'd like to be able to tell my galaxy client to either install or play games.
Just purchased a couple of games through the Galaxy client with paypal , worked fine but had to manually maximise the
payment window as it didn't automatically go to it. Also when I completed the purchase it didn't go back to the client had to close the window and then open the client and refresh.

The two games I bought were Star Wars Rebellion and Galactic Battlegrounds , going to test installing them through the client now.

Just thought I would give a some feedback , loving the client up to now , I even have it on the taskbar alongside my Steam client ! lol.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by summitus
Mouse buttons for "forward" and "return" are not working
I just installed the Client and wanted to share a few minor complaints to improve it.
First off, minimizing the client when I want to close it is pet peeve of mine. And there doesn't seem to be an option to change this behaviour. Please patch this in otherwise I can't see myself using the client at all.
Next it apperas that the client wastes a lot of real estate on the left hand side. It is nice to have the options pop out there and maybe the idea is to integrate a chat or something, but atm 1/4 of my screen is wasted 99% of the time (or maybe i am missing something).
Also I find it kinda annoying that I can't scroll through my whole library. I know 600 games might be hard to fit on a shelf, but having to flip through ten pages is not really ideal. Also better sorting options would be appreciated. Currently the only semi useful one seems to be order of purchase and title (and we don't even get the option to invert these). The premade genre selection is pretty useless, and I will never ever need to sort by system or language, so those categories seems to be wasted space for me. Mode might be useful for some people, certainly not for me.
I'd like to be able to sort by release date (original + maybe gog), by publisher (especially once we get all the gold box games :) plz!!!!), by dev and by genre (maybe let us attach custom tags to make the genre selection more useful) and by series (all MM, SQ etc)....

So far for now. Sorry if most of the points have been raised already, but the thread is already 90+ pages long, I'm not gonna read it ;)
Overall the client looks very nice and I hope it stays lightweight. Oh, maybe one final request!
Could we please get an option to use a classic GOG Skin for the client?!?! Like the old winamp skins? I really miss the old site and the client would be a great place for us old and inflexible grumpkins to continue living in the past, without constantly complaining that all changes to the website are evil and you cant continue to overhaul the site and make it more tablet friendly or more grey or whatever the plan is ;)