It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
BUG REPORTING: Please use http://mantis.gog.com

Always attach your logs when reporting bugs. You can find them at:
On Windows Vista or later: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On MacOSX: /Users/Shared/GOG.com/Galaxy/Logs

---

Hi, everyone!

The Galaxy team is hard at work to bring you the Client application that will let you manage your GOG.com games library more conveniently. We’d love for the initial release experience to be as smooth and streamlined as possible for everyone, but releasing an app of this scope is no easy feat.

But before we jump in and hand out the alpha Client, we’d like to set some ground rules.

1) The key word here is ‘alpha’, which means that this is not the final app and not all functionalities are present. The purpose of this test is to evaluate the core tech in the Client on a wider set of computer configurations than what we can locally test on, so only core features are included. Below I will post a detailed list of what is present and what we plan to add in future releases.

2) Alpha also means that you can encounter some unexpected issues. If you have a metered connection (a bandwidth cap or payments per bandwidth used) or you’re currently playing and can’t afford a loss of game time, this might not be for you. In other words, if you want to avoid potential problems with the alpha Client, simply wait for the final release.

3) Please, please, please refrain from posting screenshots, reviews or first impressions, both on our forums or elsewhere, as this is not the final product and many changes will still be made.

If you’ve read all of the above proceed to the signup page: http://www.gog.com/galaxy/alpha

We will be sending out invitations in batches (along with some more info on how to install the client and report bugs), so not everyone will receive one right away.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by Destro
high rated
Hi everyone,

we've released the 0.7 version a couple of minutes ago, here's the changelog:

- Back/Forward navigation in the Store section
- Import Folder - it is now possible to import a game which is not compatible with the client, by clicking the game in the Library section and choosing ‘Import Folder’ from the More dropdown
- Startup page option - it is now possible to decide if the client should start on LIBRARY page, STORE page, or continue previous session
- Search option - you can press enter in the search field to continue searching in the Store
- Option to Show Game Folder added to MORE menu
- New sidebar sorting options (sort by name)
- External links will now be forwarded to the system browser
- Wishlist option added to the LIBRARY menu
- Community option in the STORE menu
- Forum Replies option in the ACCOUNT menu
- Option to keep saves, when uninstalling a game
- Windows: starting the client when another instance is already running should now open the running instance (rather than displaying error message)
- Improved ‘Last Played’ information, which should now show the time of the user stopped playing the game, rather than started playing the game
- Fixed uninstallation issues on Windows
- Fixed an issue which prevented using Paypal, when buying a game
- Fixed an issue which prevented from displaying Terms and Agreements when registering new account
- Fixed some issues when installing and uninstalling DLCs
- Bugfix: client will now not allow dragging elements onto its window
- Fixed memory leaks, causing to crash the application when downloading lots of games
- Fixed a bug which was causing the client to crash on exit
- Fixed an issue, which sometimes caused the client to duplicate the news on game view
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Destro
high rated
HOW TO IMPORT EXISTING GAMES INSTALLATIONS INTO GALAXY

1. For GOG games installed using installers from the last few months (so called Galaxy-compatible installers)
Click the "+" button on top of the sidebar and select "scan and import folders" - it will find all compatible games within that folder and add them to the Client.

2. For remaining GOG game INSTALLATIONS
Find the game in the Library, then click the More button and select "Manage" -> "Import folder" and point the folder selector into the folder where that game is installed.
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Destro
mvscot: OK, so I tried this Galaxy thing.

Looks horrible due to the in-vogue ALL CAPS and way too much wasteful whitespace, and unlikely ever to fit any decent amount of information on a screen (and, hey, I have a high-precision pointing device that doesn't smudge my monitor, thank you very much!).

So, what can it do that I might find useful? How about install games? So, I tried to tell it where to install games to (C:\GAMES). Won't let me type "C:\GAMES" in. So I browse to C:\GAMES and it tells me I want to install to "X:\GAMES", where X: is the current drive letter of the HDD I point my C:\GAMES symlink to (Drive C: is an SSD without space for many games). Useless to me, since when I juggle stuff around after my next disk upgrade, C:\GAMES may well point to Y:\GAMES, and I created the symlink to avoid having to re-install everything after I move it over. (This is a bug I've seen in several installers.)

Uninstalled Galaxy, maybe try again next year if things look hopeful. How long and how much money did it take Valve to get to a games client with few enough bugs to make it worth bothering with on a sub-set of systems, after all? Could be worse - could be Playfire... End rant.

By the way, if you must write your own buggy installers (and GOG is one of the few games retailers with justification to do so... because 16-bit, etc.), please just give me a compressed archive with an editable install script so I can fix what you break, make it work long after you're gone, etc.! Wrap it up pretty for those who need that if you want, but give me what I need to make my games live a long, useful and fun life...
The not being able to change where to install games appears to be a new bug with 0.7 that just released, before that it worked fine. Can't disagree with you on the UI, it needs some improvements for sure. But this an alpha after all.
Post edited May 01, 2015 by BKGaming
The Browser GOG forum is dead.
Long live the Galaxy GOG forum!
found a slight bug where if you try and install a game on a full hard drive it will just be marked as installed in your library, you only get a message about the full hard drive if you go to more>manage>"verify / repair" where it tries to allocate space and fails then lets you know.
niniendowarrior: I don't quite understand this. I got the key from the email about the alpha. I redeem it and it's not in my shelf. So, where do I download this?
JudasIscariot: Refresh your account, perhaps?

https://www.gog.com/account/refresh
Already did twice. No dice.
Hope you will soon implement the language features. I cannot import games not installed in english without galaxy automatically downloading them again (in english then). Would like to test it under "realistic" circumstances...
mvscot: OK, so I tried this Galaxy thing.

Looks horrible due to the in-vogue ALL CAPS and way too much wasteful whitespace, and unlikely ever to fit any decent amount of information on a screen (and, hey, I have a high-precision pointing device that doesn't smudge my monitor, thank you very much!).

So, what can it do that I might find useful? How about install games? So, I tried to tell it where to install games to (C:\GAMES). Won't let me type "C:\GAMES" in. So I browse to C:\GAMES and it tells me I want to install to "X:\GAMES", where X: is the current drive letter of the HDD I point my C:\GAMES symlink to (Drive C: is an SSD without space for many games). Useless to me, since when I juggle stuff around after my next disk upgrade, C:\GAMES may well point to Y:\GAMES, and I created the symlink to avoid having to re-install everything after I move it over. (This is a bug I've seen in several installers.)

Uninstalled Galaxy, maybe try again next year if things look hopeful. How long and how much money did it take Valve to get to a games client with few enough bugs to make it worth bothering with on a sub-set of systems, after all? Could be worse - could be Playfire... End rant.

By the way, if you must write your own buggy installers (and GOG is one of the few games retailers with justification to do so... because 16-bit, etc.), please just give me a compressed archive with an editable install script so I can fix what you break, make it work long after you're gone, etc.! Wrap it up pretty for those who need that if you want, but give me what I need to make my games live a long, useful and fun life...

EDIT: oh, and reboot after Galaxy install in the 21st century? You're kidding, right?
You seem to have mistaken the idea of becoming an alpha tester for an unfinished product that is in a state of testing the core functionality - with testing a finalized feature-complete end product that is highly polished. The first post in this thread (most often not read by new alpha testers) clearly elaborates on what the test is for and what to expect and to not expect. Sadly there isn't a way for GOG to easily force every person to read that to set their expectations and responsibilities as an alpha tester correctly although I do recommend reading that anyway.

As an aside though, symlinks do not work very well in Windows with a variety of software because most software wasn't written expecting that sort of thing. I'd recommend using Windows junction points instead as that is pretty much fully transparent to most if not all software and serves more or less the same purpose. There is an Explorer extension called "Link Shell Extension" that supports symlinks, junction points, hardlinks and other options if you don't already have it.

Mromson: Experienced bugtester here wondering what he needs to do to be put on the shortlist for an alpha invite.
Click this link: http://www.gog.com/galaxy/alpha

Then wait, wait some more, then wait a bit more. Each time they do a new build of Galaxy they issue another series of alpha invites to people who requested above. The releases do not appear to be on a fixed schedule but rather "when it is ready" so this could take a few days, a week, several weeks, a month, etc. Hopefully there will be a new build soon though. If you haven't already please also read the first post in the thread which contains more info.

HTH
Post edited May 01, 2015 by skeletonbow
mvscot: By the way, if you must write your own buggy installers (and GOG is one of the few games retailers with justification to do so... because 16-bit, etc.), please just give me a compressed archive with an editable install script so I can fix what you break, make it work long after you're gone, etc.! Wrap it up pretty for those who need that if you want, but give me what I need to make my games live a long, useful and fun life...
A lot of people have been barking up that tree for ages, but GOG has been less than cooperative. Refer to the encrypted installers a few months back.
BKGaming: The not being able to change where to install games appears to be a new bug with 0.7 that just released, before that it worked fine.
That may be a different bug I saw mention of elsewhere. I could browse to where I wanted to go just fine, it just forced following the symlink and therefore using the wrong path for game installation. The easy fix is just to let me type the damn path (sanity check it if you want, just don't re-interpret it).

This is similar to an old bug in the GOG installers (among others) which would use the wrong drive for estimating remaining disk space in the presence of a symlink and refuse to install to a location with plenty of space.
Okay this is not funny....
I had Realms of Arkania 3 files downloaded a few weeks ago I guess. They were sitting in a folder with all my GoG downloads. I clicked Import folder with it, thinking it would just see my downloaded file and install from that. Instead, it downloaded the file again. Then installed the game to my GoG Downloads folder. I clicked Uninstall, it deleted the whole GoG Downloads folder with over 25-30 GBs of files. There goes every game I downloaded, every mod, tweak, tip...
Really not funny...
skeletonbow: You seem to have mistaken the idea of becoming an alpha tester for an unfinished product that is in a state of testing the core functionality - with testing a finalized feature-complete end product that is highly polished.
Actually as a former software developer I'm well aware what an alpha test is (it's testing done internally before software is sufficiently feature-complete for beta testing by potential customers - I admit that may be an old-fashioned definition, though!).

I was basically just pointing out that I couldn't even get started using this thing, and whining about a few pet peeves too. ;-)

skeletonbow: As an aside though, symlinks do not work very well in Windows with a variety of software because most software wasn't written expecting that sort of thing. I'd recommend using Windows junction points instead as that is pretty much fully transparent to most if not all software and serves more or less the same purpose.
Junction points always behaved even worse for me!

It's true that Microsoft rarely introduce "new" features like symlinks without breaking their developers' crappy software (it's not as if they had 4.2BSD's adoption of symlinks way back in 1983 to set an example... oh wait!).

Galaxy development started years after even Windows had symlinks, so no excuse, sorry!
Cleidophoros: Okay this is not funny....
I had Realms of Arkania 3 files downloaded a few weeks ago I guess. They were sitting in a folder with all my GoG downloads. I clicked Import folder with it, thinking it would just see my downloaded file and install from that. Instead, it downloaded the file again. Then installed the game to my GoG Downloads folder. I clicked Uninstall, it deleted the whole GoG Downloads folder with over 25-30 GBs of files. There goes every game I downloaded, every mod, tweak, tip...
Really not funny...
Sorry to hear that :( Please post a report on http://mantis.gog.com - we could use the logs from that situation to prevent it happening in the future.

Liosan
The back/forward buttons not working, are they not implemented yet or a bug ?
Cleidophoros: Okay this is not funny....
Really not funny...
Liosan: Sorry to hear that :( Please post a report on http://mantis.gog.com - we could use the logs from that situation to prevent it happening in the future.

Liosan
I did report it there.
I am so pissed right now (and in physical pain!) only you sending me an hdd with all my games along with their mods/tweaks will ease my pain.
Post edited May 01, 2015 by Cleidophoros
In the Galaxy Client I have the kickstarter version of Pillars of Eternity, In the Extras page only the manual is showing. In the web browser I have many extras that can be downloaded.
Very impressed. For alpha software this seems relatively bug free. Already has a permanent home on my taskbar.

Only a couple things I can add at this point in time. First is a request for a Linux client, but I'm sure that has not only already been brought up, but is surely already in the works.

Second is I would like to have an option to expand the installed games area to fill the client window. Maybe put it in a grid view similar to how the library is set up?

Looking forward to the additional features and will be providing any feedback I may have on them as they roll out in the future.

Side note, I absolutely love how unintrusive the client is, and how if you don't like a particular feature you can simple disable it. Good stuff!