It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm trying to create a desktop shortcut to launch Divinity Original Sin 2 using wine.

This command:
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/games/dos2/ wine "$HOME/games/dos2/drive_c/dos2/DefEd/bin/EoCApp.exe" --skip-launcher

works from the commandline to run the game fine.

But that same command entered into the program field of a Plasma desktop shortcut fails to launch the game. However if I go to advanced options and check "Run in terminal" it will work.

Any ideas what is going on?

UPDATE: I found the issue. When I edited the desktop file I saw the
Exec= entry has single quotes wrapping it which seemed to cause the problem. I believe the way it should be done is
when editing the shortcut set the program as just env

Then put everything else in the Arguments field. That seemed to work.
Post edited November 16, 2022 by EverNightX
EverNightX: command entered into the program field of a Plasma desktop shortcut fails to launch the game
I always write game-launching logic to Bash scripts. And use the same template for all Plasma desktop shortcuts, pointing "Exec" key to the respective script file.
EverNightX: command entered into the program field of a Plasma desktop shortcut fails to launch the game
AlexTerranova: I always write game-launching logic to Bash scripts. And use the same template for all Plasma desktop shortcuts, pointing "Exec" key to the respective script file.
Mhmm that seems reasonable. Probably a good idea. Do your scripts do anything other than set variables and launch the executable?
EverNightX: Do your scripts do anything other than set variables and launch the executable?
Depending on the game. :) For example, they rewrite configuration files, if particular game keeps resetting some preferences to default values.
Would you mind to share on Git? Maybe some people would find it quite useful.
Threelight: Would you mind to share on Git? Maybe some people would find it quite useful.
Something simple like this works fine for me:

#!/bin/bash

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/games/<my-game>"; export WINEPREFIX;

cd $WINEPREFIX

wine "<my-game.exe>"
Threelight: Would you mind to share on Git? Maybe some people would find it quite useful.
EverNightX: Something simple like this works fine for me:

#!/bin/bash

cd $WINEPREFIX

wine "<my-game.exe>"
That's not really a good method. Better to put the game under something like $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/game_name

And do

cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/game_name
wine game.exe

or something of the sort.
Post edited December 01, 2022 by shmerl
EverNightX: Something simple like this works fine for me:

#!/bin/bash

cd $WINEPREFIX

wine "<my-game.exe>"
shmerl: That's not really a good method. Better to put the game under something like $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/game_name

And do

cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/game_name
wine game.exe

or something of the sort.
They aren't literal paths :)
Post edited December 01, 2022 by EverNightX
Here's my /usr/local/bin/bottle script:
http://paste.debian.net/1262689/
I hope the comment explains things well enough, otherwise please holler.

(The --desktop and --valgrind flags are intentionally undocumented, they just get passed on to my personal wrapper around wine.)
Post edited December 03, 2022 by Feranur
Frogmancer: I don't even like AAA shooter games, I just want to play Barony (no multiplayer on on GOG version while Steam Linux users can play with Nintendo Switch players as well as Epic Games) and Heroes of Hammwatch (no native port on GOG).
The Barony engine has actually been open-sourced: https://github.com/TurningWheel/Barony
You might be able to get a working Linux executable via that.
Although I lost interest in contributing to that project when I built it and had several screens full of null-pointer-dereference compiler warnings scroll by :(

Heroes of Hammerwatch is a great game, and multiplayer works for me in wine with the following:
winetricks corefonts dotnet48 vcrun2017 win7
(not sure if corefonts is actually necessary)
Then use the galaxy-based installer and let it download the game:
wine GOG_Galaxy_Heroes_of_Hammerwatch.exe

When you want to play, first manually start some Galaxy thingy:
wine $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/ProgramData/GOG.com/Galaxy/redists/GalaxyCommunication.exe
and then the game:
wine $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files\ (x86)/GOG\ Galaxy/Games/Heroes\ of\ Hammerwatch/HWR.exe
Although this has been a rather fiddly thing.

And certainly none of it is any excuse for GOG's stance on the whole multiplayer/galaxy/Linux front.
Post edited December 02, 2022 by Feranur
Hi, because gog-support hardly answers emails and the online FAQ didn't help either, I ask here.
I have one simple question:

When installing an update or new version of a linux game, can I savely install it over the old/base game or should I uninstall the old version first?
Machion: Hi, because gog-support hardly answers emails and the online FAQ didn't help either, I ask here.
I have one simple question:

When installing an update or new version of a linux game, can I savely install it over the old/base game or should I uninstall the old version first?
I've been running the uninstall script and then reinstalling. I don't actually know if it's required though. But it's quick so I figure why not. Unless it's a patch of course in which case you have to run the patch over the existing install.
Post edited January 06, 2023 by EverNightX
I have just installed on top and so far it has worked fine but not many games affected as I mostly play older games.
I never bother with uninstalling a previous version.
Note - you can use lgogdownloader for incremental updates, both for Windows versions to use in Wine and for Linux native versions.

That's what I use in general for that purpose.
Post edited January 08, 2023 by shmerl