It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

TheDudeLebowski: Could you also post this in HoMM forums, please?
Done
TheDudeLebowski: Could you also post this in HoMM forums, please?
_Auster_: Done
Nice!
hi _Auster_
Thanks so much! It is like finding an artifact that gives plus one to luck! :)
The issue I had before reading your post was that I used an old version of wine (that was in the ubuntu repo).

After reading your post I then went here:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

And installed the version you where using (version 7). Then everything worked as you described!

I am looking forward to trying out the same install method for the HD version and further upgraded versions some time in the future...

"May Erathia be restored!"

kboykowboy: has anyone gotten heroes of might and magic 3 working on linux? And which install process did you use incase?
_Auster_: Wine version 7.0
Using a x64 Wine prefix
Winecfg set to emulate Windows 10

Command ran for the installation:

wine "setup_heroes_of_might_and_magic_3_complete_4.0_(28740).exe"
_Auster_: Once the game was installed, I went to its installation folder ($HOME/.wine/drive_c/GOG Games/HoMM 3 Complete/) and ran the following command:

wine start "Launch Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete.lnk"
_Auster_: Seems to be running without issues, but I'll keep testing it for a little longer, just in case.

Correction: winecfg was set to emulate Windows 7, but I didn't notice any issues after changing to Windows 10.
Worth noting I didn't try to reinstall it after changing the winecfg settings.
Post edited May 23, 2022 by kboykowboy
kboykowboy: snip
I'm glad it was helpful!
They removed the in progress of the old wishlist silently without one word from a GOG staff member, the next step is for them to silently completely remove Linux support and remove every native installer and pretend they never had it in the first place or ignore any questions if asked.
Post edited June 09, 2022 by Cakemancer-
It's sad to loose GOG as a platform to get DRM free titles ...

It's just after kicking Microsoft into the dust bin for not accepting that I don't want to upgrade to the new Windows ... asking me again and again ... trying to force me ...

... STEAM has the much better Linux support even for non-native Linux games ...

... at GOG.com I even don't see a comfortable way to download offline installer files of large modern games with several gigabytes of size.

DRM free is great ... still worthless if no support.
Hello everyone,
I'm new to GOG and games on linux, but I need to play Fallout and Fallout 2!
I'm using Playonlinux to install the file downloaded from GOG but it fails on install reporting that it cannot contact Gog.com and a link to a support article that has been removed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is this an issue on my end with playonlinux/wine? or is this a known thing GOG has done?
Bivitor: Hello everyone,
I'm using Playonlinux to install the file downloaded from GOG but it fails on install reporting that it cannot contact Gog.com and a link to a support article that has been removed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is this an issue on my end with playonlinux/wine? or is this a known thing GOG has done?
The installer should not try to connect to GOG servers. I suspect you downloaded Galaxy (that's what the big blue button does). What you should choose instead is "offline backup game installer" which you can find below the big blue button.
Bivitor: I'm new to GOG and games on linux, but I need to play Fallout and Fallout 2!
I use ./play.it to install Fallout 1 & 2. Keeping in mind that I tested it only on top of the installers provided to the customers who bought the games here before they got relicensed to Bethesda.
Seraphin84: It's sad to loose GOG as a platform to get DRM free titles ...

It's just after kicking Microsoft into the dust bin for not accepting that I don't want to upgrade to the new Windows ... asking me again and again ... trying to force me ...

... STEAM has the much better Linux support even for non-native Linux games ...

... at GOG.com I even don't see a comfortable way to download offline installer files of large modern games with several gigabytes of size.

DRM free is great ... still worthless if no support.
Have you tried using jdownloader? i use it to download larger files. I start the download on my navigator and copy the link from the download on it then i stop the download in the navigator and start it on jdownloader, if the download fail in any moment i start another one on the navigator and change the link of the actual download on jdownloader and it continues from where it was
Bivitor: Hello everyone,
Why you dont use wine? I tried using play on linux but the last thing i know from them is that they lack some compatibilities. But wine has been my wizard all this time
Post edited August 03, 2022 by Escapatrueno
Escapatrueno: Have you tried using jdownloader? i use it to download larger files. I start the download on my navigator and copy the link from the download on it then i stop the download in the navigator and start it on jdownloader, if the download fail in any moment i start another one on the navigator and change the link of the actual download on jdownloader and it continues from where it was
The lgogdownloader works excellent for me. Look through the help file to get on top of the syntax and it's usually fairly easy to download single games, or the whole library if you want that.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/lgogdownloader_gogdownloader_for_linux
Escapatrueno: Have you tried using jdownloader? i use it to download larger files.
Hi Escapatrueno

Thanks for your answer, I don't know jdownloader. I'm using GameHub for GOG.

Meanwhile I found out my problem to run some games haven't been with Gamehub/Installation of these games, but with NVIDIA Optimus drivers I needed to switch too first. At least I can play these games now and my rant isn't that relevant anymore.

Still there's a bad taste for me with GOG with no official support for Linux.
Escapatrueno: Have you tried using jdownloader? i use it to download larger files.
Seraphin84: Hi Escapatrueno

Thanks for your answer, I don't know jdownloader. I'm using GameHub for GOG.

Meanwhile I found out my problem to run some games haven't been with Gamehub/Installation of these games, but with NVIDIA Optimus drivers I needed to switch too first. At least I can play these games now and my rant isn't that relevant anymore.

Still there's a bad taste for me with GOG with no official support for Linux.
Not having feature parity with Windows and Mac is driving me away from GOG, itch.io is a tiny indie company and they have a cross platform client so how much money GOG has is irrelevant, though they are owned by the richest game company in Europe, CD Projekt is richer than Ubisoft.
If you play a game on Linux using Wine is there anyway to get the achievements with GOG?
EverNightX: If you play a game on Linux using Wine is there anyway to get the achievements with GOG?
If you run your game through Galaxy, which they say works on Wine now.