It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

king_mosiah: I cannot seem to get either Baldur's Gate game to run in Manjaro AMD64 or Antergos AMD64, an error window pops up, I'll attack an image of the error

Update: Clicking the close button on the error window lets both games run but with no audio and BG2 still fails to load/hangs after building a character. I leave this bit from the terminal below

ALSA lib dlmisc.c:252:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:252:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x337ef8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:dplay:dplobby_destroy Should kill the msg thread
fixme:d3d_surface:wined3d_surface_flip Ignoring flags 0x1.
wineserver: file_set_error() can't map error: Too many levels of symbolic links

(above is from BG2)
Ganni1987: The "not enough disk free space to continue" could be referring to a read only location so it interprets it as "full".

Are there any "libasound" files in your BG installation (aka came with the package)? You might want to move/remove them, Earlier this morning I read a post about someone mentioning removing libraries from a game in order to fix an issue but I just can't find it.
There are a lot of libsound files and links, removing/moving all of them still leaves me without audio.
Gazzan1: Hi Im not sure where to post this so I'll post it here, up until recently I had a different GOG account under an Old email address and had purchased a number of games with it (HOMM3,Masters of Orion, Dissonance to name a few) however the Email account I was using was Compromised and the password to my GOG account was lost, so I'm wondering if there would be a way to either A) transfer my games to my new account or B) gain access to my old account.
madth3: Part of the reason why you can't find where to post this is because the forums are not for that.
You need to contact support using the button down below on the left (CONTACT US).
I imagine they would require some sort of proof that you purchased those games.
I see thank you for the correction
None of the Aurora engine games with Linux versions I have tried (12.04) have had sound. Interestingly enough, when I play the same games (Baldurs Gate I & II, Planescape, Icewind Dale) using wine through PlayOnLinux, the sound works fine.

Perhaps there's some kind of problem with your wine version?

I tried the Contact Us button, but it looped back to the original screen, with no apparent way to contact you directly.
Post edited October 16, 2014 by oldrocker99
oldrocker99: None of the Aurora engine games with Linux versions I have tried (12.04) have had sound. Interestingly enough, when I play the same games (Baldurs Gate I & II, Planescape, Icewind Dale) using wine through PlayOnLinux, the sound works fine.

Perhaps there's some kind of problem with your wine version?

I tried the Contact Us button, but it looped back to the original screen, with no apparent way to contact you directly.
I think you mean Infinity Engine. The Aurora engine was the Neverwinter Nights engine with full 3D environments.

As for your experience, I've already upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04 because Don't Starve needed a newer glibc, but the GOG tarballs are still sitting in my DVD-bound folder, so I gave them a try... you're right. audio in the copy of Wine GOG's using for Infinity Engine games is fragile at best.

Under 14.04, the audio crackles and stutters (it'll crackle its way through the 0.5-1.0 second ALSA buffer, then spend the same amount of time silent, then repeat).

Launching the game like this seemed to fix the problem:
PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 ./start.sh
...so I added this as the first non-comment to start.sh
declare -x PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60
Post edited October 16, 2014 by ssokolow
The screen is full of black squares, i'm using the radeonsi and kernel version 3.16. Is there a solution for this?
Attachments:
Post edited November 01, 2014 by Kibokin
SStefania: I don't know what you are talking about.
Here, have a look at this attached cute Red Panda instead :)
OMG! Isn't it cute! :,)
Hello all .. Just wanted to pass along my thoughts on Linux games and Gog. First of all .. Thank You GOG for deciding to support Linux. Also, I totally understand all distributions / flavors can't possibly be supported. Most linux newbies are (probably) going to have some trouble running games in Linux. Linux is good and getting better all the time, but newbies need to learn how to use linux before doing anything else. There is a learning curve for Linux, Dosbox, Wine and etc. Reading guides & tutorials will certainly help with the learning curve.

Well so far there is (according to a search {for Linux} in my library) 3 games listed for Linux. I'm sure others will be added eventually.

There is a lot of Linux users who have Youtube channels on how to setup and play x-game on Linux. They are worth checking out. I see one guy running Quake 3 on a Raspberry Pi .. lol :)

Just about any goodOldgame can be played - one way, or another. Try DosBox / D-Fend Reloaded, MS-Virtual Machine, VDMSound, ScummVM, QEMU, FS_UAE, Cedega, DBGL, Virtualbox and so on. I remember having trouble (with sound) in certain games, so I tried VDMSound and it worked. A lot of games for DOS were also produced for the Amiga platform. I tried quite a few of those games via WinUEA and they worked fine. The Amiga systems had wonderful graphics and sound.

Anyway, I think the bigger issue is downloads. Many of games are so large it is going to take a very very long time to download them. Only those with the fastest internet connections are going to be able to do this. I'm thinking gog should have a service for sending out their users game libraries on CD/DVDs. Then one would only need to download updates. I realize there would have to be a charge for this service and that is understandable. Internet-speed in most rural areas isn't anything to write home about. Most of us have Slow-high-Speed and some are still stuck on dialup.

Here is some of the YT uses who work to get (native and non-native) games working properly in Linux.

ironclaw6969, spatry, linuxhelpguy, keith henderson Jr, Xpander666, Gaming on Linux. mwoodj, Quidsup, Haxor Eighteen, Tutoringby Pop, Classic Video Game Intros, DaweyYT ... and many others. I'm not one of them. :)

Thank You .. GOG.
NoAGood: .......
Unfortunately not much can be done regarding the downloads, sending games on discs would cost too much I think and when it comes to games the size of Divinity: Original Sin where a patch ranges from 200-500mb, they can't send a patch on disk every time a new one comes out. Don't get me wrong here, I understand your point as I have went through the slow internet speed experience myself a few years back.

On Linux: It has been mentioned many times by GOG users (including me) that they could convert the entire dos game library to Linux very easily since they've done it for a few of them already. I can only guess why the rest are being held up.

Given the chance I would love to help the GOG team test games on Linux, report errors and help to offload their work and I ask nothing in return.

I think they'll nail most of the problems in time. :-)
Post edited November 10, 2014 by Ganni1987
Ganni1987: On Linux: It has been mentioned many times by GOG users (including me) that they could convert the entire dos game library to Linux very easily since they've done it for a few of them already. I can only guess why the rest are being held up.
It's standard legal practice to write contracts as "we agree to allow X and nothing else". They have to renegotiate the contracts to add Linux to the list of allowed things.
NoAGood: .......
Ganni1987: On Linux: It has been mentioned many times by GOG users (including me) that they could convert the entire dos game library to Linux very easily since they've done it for a few of them already. I can only guess why the rest are being held up.
... Oh yeah .. no doubt they could. ssokolow .. is probably right. Contract talks.

Your lucky to have such fast internet. Here in the country where I live, internet speeds are awful. I understand they couldn't be sending out patches and fixes via CDs & DVDs. I was talking about the games themselves. Of course with some patches, the games will probably have to be re-downloaded and etc. Slow internet is the Achilles heel for gaming companies and partners.
ssokolow: It's standard legal practice to write contracts as "we agree to allow X and nothing else". They have to renegotiate the contracts to add Linux to the list of allowed things.
I think they can't even easily write a contract like "allow all possible platforms". Copyright law is too inflexible for that and prevents generic definitions. Unless it's something like copyleft where some rights are relinquished.
Post edited November 12, 2014 by shmerl
If you want to run the first Mount & Blade in Wine, make sure to install d3dx9_36 native override, otherwise it won't work properly.
Yes, I tend to agree on the Contracts thing.

I didn't realize that System Shock 1 was abandon-ware and free to download and play. Well that is what I
read anyway. "The original System Shock free download (yes, it's legal)."

I jotted down the info on getting M&B to work with / in wine. Thanks!
NoAGood: Yes, I tend to agree on the Contracts thing.

I didn't realize that System Shock 1 was abandon-ware and free to download and play. Well that is what I
read anyway. "The original System Shock free download (yes, it's legal)."

I jotted down the info on getting M&B to work with / in wine. Thanks!
Nope, it isn't. Abandonware doesn't mean legal.
shmerl: If you want to run the first Mount & Blade in Wine, make sure to install d3dx9_36 native override, otherwise it won't work properly.
Getting d3dx9_36.dll in the game's folder might work too. Just extract it from the DirectX cabs.

Grargar: Abandonware doesn't mean legal.
MakeUseOf has a nice article on abandonware: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-abandonware-and-is-it-legal/. And it mentions GOG too. :)
Post edited November 17, 2014 by astropup