It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Awkiba: Does anyone know why Capcom hasn't moved to release games here on GOG? Most of their games are all singleplayer; would make sense to have their games in GOG library.
Probably a mixture of GOG's very small userbase compared to Steam and their DRM-free stance.
Awkiba: Does anyone know why Capcom hasn't moved to release games here on GOG? Most of their games are all singleplayer; would make sense to have their games in GOG library.
tfishell: Probably a mixture of GOG's very small userbase compared to Steam and their DRM-free stance.
Unfortunately, this applies to all big Japanese publishers: Capcom, SEGA, Bandai Namco, Koei Tecmo, Konami... even Square Enix is only releasing their western titles here.
Probably because Capcom is run by complete dolts. I would not be surprised to learn that they dumped the shitty PC port of SF Alpha 2 on here as a total gauge on interest for their IP's and then bailed when it sold poorly.

This IS the company that nearly canned Super SF4 on PC because they looked at the raw piracy numbers only... completely ignoring the fact SF4 sold really well on PC in a time when PC fighting games didn't even really exist.
Post edited September 09, 2016 by ReynardFox
PC gaming is not as big in Japan as it is in the West. With a smaller demand for PC ports of console games, the demand for DRM-Free is even smaller still. Most Western video game publishers have only been dipping their toes in DRM-Free distribution in the last 5 years or so. It's going to be a while before Japanese publishers come around to it.
tfishell: Probably a mixture of GOG's very small userbase compared to Steam and their DRM-free stance.
I can see Capcom here in the future because GOG continues to grow and get more exposure.
ralphunreal: I can see Capcom here in the future because GOG continues to grow and get more exposure.
Technically, we have Capcom here. There just haven't been any releases beyond Street Fighter Alpha 2.
Tekkaman-James: PC gaming is not as big in Japan as it is in the West.
Things probably aren't easy for PC gamers in Japan. :(
Japanese people aren't PC-affine. Most of them don't ever use one. xD

It's all about mobile phones over there.
HeDanny: I thought that looked familliar somehow. I picked this up on Steam yonks ago for some trivial price. There was a really funny trailer that made it look like a FPS Groundhog day. Seems I promptly forgot about it, as I've never played it. Still if it comes here for as cheap as I got it over there, I'll likely double dip. If I have it on GOG, it is more likely I'll actually play it too.
Oh shit, that is a f'n amazing idea! A video game based on the time related concept from Groundhog Day (the movie). I loved that movie and think it will always be one of those classic Bill Murray titles. A television series based on a very similar concept aired years ago called "Daybreak" which was police/crime based and it was very good but got cancelled after just one season when it really started to get good. I never even thought of the idea of a video game taking on this concept where you the player are the one experiencing the phenomenon!

That would be too cool. It could be done with any number of potential settings/scenarios too, although I think one that would be more interesting to me in a game context would be something similar to that TV series Daybreak, where you're a cop trying to solve a crime where you're somehow implicated and people are after you. A similar military scenario could work too, or even a Half-life like scenario. Something with a lot of mystery and conspiracy to it, where you potentially have amnesia or something maybe.

To make it more crazy they could throw in time travel, or a parallel universe or overlapping universe like the TV series Fringe, or other sci-fi concepts.

I've never really heard of any games doing anything like that before and surprised it never occurred to me before because now it seems like an obvious ultimate cool concept. :)
Iwi has stated before in video interviews in the nicest professional way possible that Japanese publishers currently have fairly strong feelings about protecting their IP with DRM and that it can be a difficult hurdle to overcome that mindset, but that GOG will always keep working on it. We do have some Square Enix games here, and I believe a number of other games from some Japanese publishers so it is just a matter of GOG continuously approaching the various Japanese companies over time and promoting things. Eventually they'll crack and bring some games here I imagine.

Best way people can help to make it happen is to search the GOG wishlist for any individual games they want to see here first, and if they don't find them - add them to the wishlist (but please search first so you don't add duplicates). Also, to contact the developer or publisher of the game(s) and politely and professionally ask them to bring their games here, and keep it all positive - do not roast them with fire regardless of their responses, and do not expect them to necessarily respond to individual queries. Remember that keeping things on the positive has the highest likelihood over time of making an effect where the negative side of things can have the opposite effect.
HeDanny: I thought that looked familliar somehow. I picked this up on Steam yonks ago for some trivial price. There was a really funny trailer that made it look like a FPS Groundhog day. Seems I promptly forgot about it, as I've never played it. Still if it comes here for as cheap as I got it over there, I'll likely double dip. If I have it on GOG, it is more likely I'll actually play it too.
skeletonbow: Oh shit, that is a f'n amazing idea! A video game based on the time related concept from Groundhog Day (the movie). I loved that movie and think it will always be one of those classic Bill Murray titles. A television series based on a very similar concept aired years ago called "Daybreak" which was police/crime based and it was very good but got cancelled after just one season when it really started to get good. I never even thought of the idea of a video game taking on this concept where you the player are the one experiencing the phenomenon!

That would be too cool. It could be done with any number of potential settings/scenarios too, although I think one that would be more interesting to me in a game context would be something similar to that TV series Daybreak, where you're a cop trying to solve a crime where you're somehow implicated and people are after you. A similar military scenario could work too, or even a Half-life like scenario. Something with a lot of mystery and conspiracy to it, where you potentially have amnesia or something maybe.

To make it more crazy they could throw in time travel, or a parallel universe or overlapping universe like the TV series Fringe, or other sci-fi concepts.

I've never really heard of any games doing anything like that before and surprised it never occurred to me before because now it seems like an obvious ultimate cool concept. :)
There's at least one such game that I know of with this stuck-in-a-time-loop concept:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/garbage-day
Additional disclosure: It's been on Steam for some time but the dev has been quiet and there hasn't been any updates in a very long time.
Post edited September 10, 2016 by SCPM
SCPM: There's at least one such game that I know of with this stuck-in-a-time-loop concept:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/garbage-day
Additional disclosure: It's been on Steam for some time but the dev has been quiet and there hasn't been any updates in a very long time.
Doesn't seem to exciting from what I can tell from there and Steam. I'm thinking more along the lines of a huge epic next-gen type AAA game from a big studio.
skeletonbow: Oh shit, that is a f'n amazing idea! A video game based on the time related concept from Groundhog Day (the movie). I loved that movie and think it will always be one of those classic Bill Murray titles. A television series based on a very similar concept aired years ago called "Daybreak" which was police/crime based and it was very good but got cancelled after just one season when it really started to get good. I never even thought of the idea of a video game taking on this concept where you the player are the one experiencing the phenomenon!

There is at least one game that uses this concept. It's a point & click adventure called Orion Burger that would make a fine addition to GOG's catalog.
Geralt_of_Rivia: There is at least one game that uses this concept. It's a point & click adventure called Orion Burger that would make a fine addition to GOG's catalog.
Meh, doesn't really look like an epic AAA next-gen game to me. :)
skeletonbow: A video game based on the time related concept from Groundhog Day (the movie).
As long as it features Andie MacDowell, I'd buy it.