It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Witcher
I picked it up here on sale and heard good things about the series. Played it for a few hours, got sick of the bad voice acting, the fighting mechanics, the rushed and generic story narrative, pretty much everything. Uninstalled it and haven't thought about going back to it at all. I know it's a popular RPG series, but for me it just didn't work on any level.
Emob78: The Witcher
I picked it up here on sale and heard good things about the series. Played it for a few hours, got sick of the bad voice acting, the fighting mechanics, the rushed and generic story narrative, pretty much everything. Uninstalled it and haven't thought about going back to it at all. I know it's a popular RPG series, but for me it just didn't work on any level.
I also nearly gave up on The Witcher. It has a very strange/slow start, but after a while (a fair number of hours) it starts to really develop into something special.

Anyways,

I'm getting close to quitting Master of Magic. Those global enchantments are a real b*#%h, like meteor storm and the other one that slowly corrupts the entire land. At least I am hitting back with a Nature's Wrath enchantment (evil grin)
Post edited February 26, 2014 by s23021536
Loki: Heroes of Mythology

I enjoyed it for about 7 hours, but then the random maps started to look EXACTLY the same. It just started feeling like endless grinding for no reason, so i said enough of this crap.
Complete List

Scribblenauts- it's cute and fun, but it's get old after a while. I didn't even save the poor girl from the rock, lol.

Dark Eye Chains of Satinev, 99 Spirits, and Broken Sword 2

Dust Elysian Tale

King's Bounty Legend
Post edited June 01, 2014 by cmdr_flashheart
I actually gave up on The Witcher Enhanced Edition as well. I'm sure it's a fine game in it's own regard and many people enjoy it and rate it highly, but to me it felt like a chore to play.

I have The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition too (bought both when they were on sale) and I might give it a try later on but it's just above Shadow Man at the bottom of my "To Play" list.
Post edited February 26, 2014 by NoNewTaleToTell
I saw some Dead Islands back there. And I can raise my hand for that one. That game was nothing like I expected. It was just terrible.

I got stuck in the beginning with the running down a hall. You're told to run down a hall, but if you do, you die. And when you die, you lose money permanently. Autosaved.

Now, I'm sure my $40 I lost in game was nothing ,but it was terribly annoying.

And the solution?

You don't run past the zombies, as you would think you should by the quest indicator. No, you're supposed to run away from them through what just a moment ago was an impenetrable wall type of door.

And then I bad to bash some zombies with an oar with what was the most clunkly FPMelee I'd ever experienced.

Anyhoots, hated it and quit. But I'll probably visit it again at some point in case it gets better. But I also might not.
NoNewTaleToTell: I actually gave up on The Witcher Enhanced Edition as well. I'm sure it's a fine game in it's own regard and many people enjoy it and rate it highly, but to me it felt like a chore to play.

I have The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition too (bought both when they were on sale) and I might give it a try later on but it's just above Shadow Man at the bottom of my "To Play" list.
It's like they took a heavy metal band from Norway, locked them in a room with a ton of booze and a laptop, and the resulting script they came up with was then transcribed by an alien computer that was attempting to recreate human speech and relationships. Then that material was handed off to a lone programmer who spent WAY too much time playing Elder Scrolls and Ultima games back in the 90s and was trying really, really hard to make his own version of that old RPG material.

And Geralt is just... ughh... Carbon copy anti-hero. Stilted delivery, weak character development. That bit with him and the witch and her possessed son in the cabin. I was laughing out loud at that, and probably for all the wrong reasons. Same with the awkward sex scene that takes place between Geralt and what's-her-face like 5 minutes into the game. Throw in all that combat stance junk and complicated herbal remedy nonsense, and it's just a big bag of moldy tangerines. It's just juvenile, uninspired garbage. Toss it.
None so far this year, but I had to comment because this subject was actually the inspiration for my New Year's resolution this year. Specifically, I vowed to finish every single game I start, without exception. So far so good.

I made this resolution because I'm notorious for getting anywhere from 50 to 75% of the way through a game before the next shiny thing... I mean game comes along and grabs my attention. I must've played the first half of IWD2 at least 6 or 7 times over the past ten years.

I must say that cataloging my games on The Backloggery has really helped too. It's one thing to quit mid-game and move on, but another to see that game you just quit staring at you forlornly with the big red U for unfinished next to it on Backloggery :)
Post edited February 26, 2014 by MattyNOAA
Quitting Paper Sorcerer now, a Kickstarter backed game. It is not the game is bad or anything, just too simple. The graphics are really charming and music is neat, but that's about it. Comparing this to Legend of GrimLOCK in my mind which is one of my favourite games from recent years since both are similar indie old school dungeon crawlers. Where LoG of looks great and has some quite devious puzzles/sections Paper Sorcerer just feels very thin(the pun!) in comparison. Of course this was made by just one dude compared to a team. The actual progression follows a very simple structure. Go to dungeon, clear 3 levels, face a boss, go to town and restock/acquire more story. And off to a 3 level dungeon/boss again. This goes over 10 (i think) times. I made it to level 7 and just not feeling it anymore. Had the combat been slightly more interesting or if the actual progression was more challenging and there was some variation in it! Of course one can always increase the difficulty and there is even a 1980's mode of some sort which makes the game silly hard or something, but that would not change the actual gameplay.
Still, not regretting to back this game. Got probably 10h of it.
kalmis666: Quitting Paper Sorcerer now, a Kickstarter backed game. It is not the game is bad or anything, just too simple. The graphics are really charming and music is neat, but that's about it. Comparing this to Legend of GrimLOCK in my mind which is one of my favourite games from recent years since both are similar indie old school dungeon crawlers. Where LoG of looks great and has some quite devious puzzles/sections Paper Sorcerer just feels very thin(the pun!) in comparison. Of course this was made by just one dude compared to a team. The actual progression follows a very simple structure. Go to dungeon, clear 3 levels, face a boss, go to town and restock/acquire more story. And off to a 3 level dungeon/boss again. This goes over 10 (i think) times. I made it to level 7 and just not feeling it anymore. Had the combat been slightly more interesting or if the actual progression was more challenging and there was some variation in it! Of course one can always increase the difficulty and there is even a 1980's mode of some sort which makes the game silly hard or something, but that would not change the actual gameplay.
Still, not regretting to back this game. Got probably 10h of it.
I did not quit it and I am now on level 8 (out of 10 from what I've seen on the web). I totally agree with you on the game but I won't quit it. It quite fun (except for one level with random encounters) but the formula never changes as you said. It's one of those game you can't finish if you try to play it all in one go but that can really be more enjoyable when playing an hour now and then.

I don't regret kickstarting it neither.
-Dead Island: I have a pretty high tolerance for shitty zombie games, but act 3 was so damn boring I couldn't even force myself to power through it.

-Don't Starve: Found it boring as hell, and it made me want to go take a nap (or a handful of Prozac).

-Persona 4 Golden: I liked the game enough for what it is, but somehow I moved through some of the segments too fast and have hours of grinding to do to progress. I don't have the patience for that level of grind.

-Witcher 1: I've finally come to terms with this one. As someone that is tired of the medieval fantasy theme, the gameplay has to exceptional for me to stick with it. I'm not enough of a masochist to enjoy the gameplay on this one (though I don't mind #2).

-Hacker Evolution Duality: God I don't even know where to begin, nor do I remember how I came to own this.

-Assassin's Creed 4: Managed to get like a third of the way through. The gameplay isn't necessarily bad (some aspects are quite fun), but I can't take anymore of the half-assed plot (that tries way too hard to be serious).

Honorable mentions:

-Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation: I have been trying to finish this one since it originally released (in 99 iirc). Every time I get around to playing it something happens to the computer it is on at about 1/3 the way through. And in recent years I just haven't gotten back to it.

-The Bureau: Xcom Declassified: I still intend to eventually go back and play it, but god knows when that will be.

-Planescape Torment: Started the intro segment ages ago, still haven't returned.

-The Ball: Don't even remember why I stopped playing this one.

------------
My god going through my game libraries for this post... My backlog ;_;. My only hope of working through my backlog is if science makes biological immortality feasible.
sebarnolds: I did not quit it and I am now on level 8 (out of 10 from what I've seen on the web). I totally agree with you on the game but I won't quit it. It quite fun (except for one level with random encounters) but the formula never changes as you said. It's one of those game you can't finish if you try to play it all in one go but that can really be more enjoyable when playing an hour now and then.

Have you done lot's of the secrets so far? Yeah you are completely right about this being game you can't do in one sitting. "Maybe" I'll come back to this one day and finish the remaining levels, that is next time a dungeon crawling itch comes crawling (pun!) in.
sebarnolds: I did not quit it and I am now on level 8 (out of 10 from what I've seen on the web). I totally agree with you on the game but I won't quit it. It quite fun (except for one level with random encounters) but the formula never changes as you said. It's one of those game you can't finish if you try to play it all in one go but that can really be more enjoyable when playing an hour now and then.

kalmis666: Have you done lot's of the secrets so far? Yeah you are completely right about this being game you can't do in one sitting. "Maybe" I'll come back to this one day and finish the remaining levels, that is next time a dungeon crawling itch comes crawling (pun!) in.
Looking at the achievements I missed a few ones on the first few levels but I found all the others in, say, level 4-7. It seems more complicated secrets are introduced starting level 7 (secrets you don't find the "key" in the same level).
Technically, I quit most of the following in late 2013, but still:

- Knock-Knock: quit somewhere in the middle after the second attempt from the beginning. I like a good puzzle, but the objectives are too unclear and you can easily find yourself in an unwinnable state in late-game.

- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver: I know this game deserves more effort from me, as the story and voice acting seem great, but it also combines some pet peeves of mine – respawning enemies, endless backtracking, frustrating save system (further exacerbated by occasional crashes) and annoying camera.

- Ultima Underworld: I was really hyped for that game, but having completed half of the first level, the feeling is sort of 'meh'. It was a superb game when it came out, but its groundbreaking features have since been vastly improved upon in better-looking games.

There are few other games that I quit, 'cause I usually try and force myself to finish games, even though I don't like them that much, as with books.
I'm close to quitting Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut. I love the setting of the game, I like the characters I've seen so far, the voice acting is great, the dialogue is awesome, it's quirky and the humor is more than likeable, but the gameplay itself is absolutely awful when you're in the shadow realm or whatever it's called. It's also really buggy, my game has a fifty/fifty chance of crashing after cutscenes or reaching the end of levels. As it stands I haven't played it in a week or two and haven't really even thought about playing it again.
Post edited February 28, 2014 by NoNewTaleToTell