It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I rarely, if ever, completely quit a game. I might stop playing for a while only to pick it up later, but I can't remember the last game I just decided I would quit forever.

That said, I have already come across a game I am going to postpone.

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. It started out okay. I liked the atmosphere and it was pretty fun figuring out where to go and what to do. But as time wore on, I had a harder time enjoying the game. Now I just want to give it a break. The controls and camera started out as mildly annoying, but now they are horribly frustrating. When I do manage to find out what the heck I'm supposed to be doing at any given moment, I have to reload the game at least once because the controls, camera, and overall handling just don't work how I think it was supposed to. Most of the problems I have with the game might be more tolerable if the story could have caught my interest, but after twelve hours it has failed to do so. Also, the hub-like approach some sections of the game have makes it much harder than it needs to be; more than once i had to take a lengthy trip back to where I was because I hadn't gotten everything I needed, even though there was no indication at the time that there was something I needed.

Bleh. I needed to get that out of my system. I've also postponed Icewind Dale, though that has more to do with the fact that I'm no longer in the mood for it. I played it a little bit when I first got it, but I didn't want to commit too much time to it until I had finished the Mass Effect series. Unfortunately, I had just finished the first game, and by the time I finished the other two I wasn't as interested. I'll get back to it eventually, though.
I, "technically" quit games all the time because I tend to stop playing some and move on to something else and then go back to the one I just stopped playing. I am quite the ADHD gamer like that, that said though, One game I got recently that I quit out of frustration was WarCraft III.

I wanted to give the game a chance, I enjoyed playing WarCraft II despite being crap at it, and I have started to get into RTS games thanks to getting into the Command and Conquer games after owing the First Decade for years and never really playing it. WarCraft III was a HUGE mistake for me to get into since it seems like every custom game I created to play against the AI ends with me being slaughtered every single time. I tried various tips and pointers on how to survive, but they only went so far and I can not for the life of me figure out how to properly micromanage to make sure my base is ok while I try to take on the enemy. I would like to learn how to play it properly, but I lack the patience right now to do so.
SpooferJahk: warcraft 3
Forget melee maps. Search the net for "fun maps" that are basically mini-missions of all kinds. Footmen, dota, RPGs (some are very impressive) or even some sports stuff like mad ball arena and such.
Great idea for a thread. I quit a few games every now and then. Here is my list:

Reus: Crashed when starting a game. Quit!
Total Annihilation: Battle Tactics Fuck playing all those maps
Silver: I made it all the way to the end boss, lost to him and realized the last time the game gave me a save was before another boss before the last one. I absolutely loathe games that don't give you checkpoints or saves between boss battles and/or cutscenes. Watched the ending on YouTube, no regrets about giving up on final boss fight.

A few others I want to mention from previous years:
SWAT 1 & 2: I loved SWAT 3 but I just couldn't get into 1 or 2, especially 1. Like Silver I ended up watching playthroughs/videos of the cutscenes.

Temple of Elemental Evil: Again, much like Silver made it to the end boss and didn't want to spend any more time on the game struggling with the end boss and just watched the end on YouTube. Really didn't like this game, which is a bit odd considering I love D&D and Troika's other two games. All of the infinity engine games (BG, IWD & PST) and the Neverwinter series are the height of D&D games imho.

Usually I'll only give up on a game if I'm just not having that much fun with it or its getting super glitchy.
Call to Power II; Just too clunky for a Civ spinoff. I know they had to use a wrapper to make it work, but its still quite a kludge.
I'm playing a lot of multiplayer games, which don't have any end. So I guess I'll post here so more than "Games finished" :-D

Well... The last game I really quit is Counter Strike GO. I don't like the way the game is taking. Pink weapons, fantasy hats, or something make the game weird. I missed Counter Strike Source, I want it now to get CS back !

I quit a singer player game as well, I explained why in the Humble Weekly Sale thread. It's Operation Flashpoint Red River.
Post edited February 10, 2014 by benderz
Leroux: Can I ask for some clarifications?
Sure
Leroux: I assume this is only about games we started and quit in 2014, or maybe also about games we started in previous years but of which we recently realized we don't want to play them anymore?
No, not only about games started this year, but the decision to quit took place this year, you don't need to have started the game this year.
Leroux: And this is also not about games we're stuck in or have lost some enthusiasm about but might give another chance somewhen in the future, despite all? Only those that we've definitely given up on for good, and of which we've decided in 2014 that this was the case?
Yes, the decision should be a final one. Otherwise it wouldn't be quitted, but paused.
Leroux: Because depending on the rules, the lists might turn out quite differently, showcasing either games that we want to like but can't fully enjoy, or games that we really deem rubbish and hardly any fun at all ...
Not everyone may necessarily obey the rules, I won't 'punish' them for that. According to the reactions, I've started a thread that's fun and enjoying the talk is the most important, but my intentions are:

1. games needn't be started in 2014,
2. but this year you decided to quit them,
3. and the decision is final, no 'maybe laters'.
Post edited February 10, 2014 by DubConqueror
X Rebirth gave up after 4 hours. Hate the new systems in place the freaking annoying npc co pilot and the fact the game is always broken. Sad end to a great series.

Legend of Dawn wish i never backed the Kickstarter. Game has just to many annoying niggles and i am still waiting on the kickstarter stuff also puts me off the game.
The Last Remnant

The battle system was actually pretty interesting, although it's a bit weird. What really ruined it for me was the protagonist. I've never been so annoyed with the main character of a JRPG.
Oh, fun topic - good timing too, seeing as I'm working on my backlog a little now. Surpirsingly, going over my collection here at GoG, I seem to still be playing all the ones I have installed (some albeit very slowly). On Steam on the other hand...

Brütal Legend
Was all fun and games in the beginning. I even tolerated the first few strategy type battles. But when the Drowning Doom started appearing, I had enough.

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
Maybe I'm being premature adding this one to the list. I backed this one on Kickstarter, and wanted to give it a fair bash. But after finishing the second case, I find myself having little desire going back to it any time soon, if at all. Pity.

Democracy 2
I had this one in my collection for ages now, just never tried it. With the new one recently getting new DLC here I figured I'd see what the hype was about. Nope. Not for me, thanks. Moving on.

Europa Universalis IV
It almost pains me to say this, because I've spent hours in Paradox games over the years... but while I love turn based strategy games, I just can't get myself to start another EU game. There are other games that can scratch that itch.
DubConqueror: 1. games needn't be started in 2014,
2. but this year you decided to quit them,
3. and the decision is final, no 'maybe laters'.
Thanks for the clarification!

Hm, I think in that case I won't have anything significant to contribute, because like Daedalus1138 I hardly ever to decide to quit a game forever, without keeping the option of "maybe another time". There are several games which I'm quite unlikely to ever finish, but, you know, "never say never". ;)

So I suppose most games I'd quit for good would be those I don't even start for real, the games I check out for a few minutes just to find out they're not my cup of tea, and I can't remember trying many of those this year.
Great thread and for sure something I need to do more. Quit games that is.

Starting off with two:

Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe
Have still one Steam card left to get. After that is idled out I will quit this game for sure. Never played the original so dont have any nostalgic ties to this one. Other than the fake Star Wars cantina theme which the game has. Game is basically a 10 hour mobile port of a freaking air hockey game. A slight stretch?! Game even has certain aspects of godawful grinding as in most free mobile games. Luckily no IAP here, but they kept the grind. Dev at Steam forum even compared this to a rogue game. Qe!?! I got an hour of this, which is more than enough. Not a bad game per say, very casual and polished, but not much else.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Still toying with the idea of finishing this, but I doubt I get to it ever. Biggest problem I have with this is that it is not a Giana Sisters game. Even if it says so in the title and there are subtle hints in the gameplay and presentation. Sure this is difficult as was the original game and it is hard not like the way the game looks like. But no, controls don't feel accurate enough, the fake symphonic metal soundtrack is just lame. The new mechanisms are not much of fun to use. Why would one want use the non-goth girl? Also the need of backtracking/exploration just feels like its there to extend the length of the game.
great idea. for just I'll just copy-paste what I've already posted to the other thread :)

Killzone: Another game I had quit a while ago (didn't finish this one). I started this since I like playing series from beginning to the end. But this failed to keep my interest for long. It probably has one of the best graphics for a PS2 game, but I really hate the pre-PS3 console shooters where the game is extremely difficult only because they couldn't manage to make the game playable with a controller. Killzone was a disappointment for me.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee: I didn't beat this one but quit playing. I just wanted to write a few words about it. Firstly, the game design is incredibly artistic and creative. You won't find any health bars or any UI here. The story is also a very strong element of the game which in my opinion brings some criticisms to the system. Graphics, for its time, are simply a-mazing. However..... Abe's Oddysee does the same mistake of some of the earlier old fashioned platformers that is the frustrating difficulty. Don't get me wrong, I love difficult games as long as it is hard for making the game experience nicer and more challenging. But Abe's Oddysee has this trial error system in which you have to memorize a long sequence of in which second to jump, to stop, to run etc. If you don't do the perfect move in any of the seconds you die and lose a lot of progress (the game also has a terrible save and checkpoint system). So the only way to make progress is to keep trying until your fingers memorize how to act in every second. This is something that pushes me away.

and one addition:

Crash Bandicoot: I really love both the series and the character but the first game is frankly frustrating. It has one of the most terrible save systems implemented into a platformer ever which makes the later levels incredibly difficult. You keep ending up beating several missions without saving because you need to collect some stupid 3 items in order to save. Eventually, you die and need to replay the same missions (including boss levels) over and over and over until you decide to quit.
Apart from reading the answers of others, I should also answer the question myself. I quitted two games this year:

Dirt 2: I started it up to finish it this time, as it seems GFWL won't get patched out of it, making the game probably unplayable past june this year. But I keep on bumbing against the side of the tracks, skidding and ending up with the nose of my car in the wrong direction. It's really hard to play a racing game without a steering wheel it seems and I'm not willing to buy a racing get for a genre I only play very rarely.

Company of Heroes: I don't own the game that long yet. I'm not really good at RTS, but was happily surprised at how doable the game was, i.e. easy enough for me as someone who can't deal much of the usual hectics of RTS's.
I've landed at Normandy, the opening of the campaign and the first two maps went really well, but I got stuck at the third, Montauban. I didn't find out how I could rebuild my tank force, it seems you have to make do with the tanks that you initially have, but I quited when at the end, I had too few to conquer the map.

I tried reloading at Easy, only to find out it wasn't easy at all, so I probably already was playing at easy. There's just too much happening at a single time in the game: conqueror territory to win ammo points so you can build, defending the bottom of the map against incursions from the germans, advance to the top of the map, which is the point the Red Ball Express needs to pass for continuing to supply the advance into Normany. And if you defend against an enemy and turn to another part of the map, where you were busy before the warning of 'your base is under attack', the tanks defending rush headlong into enemy territory when you don't supervise, letting them selves shot to pieces and the infantry rushes out of cover if you don't supervise, yes, letting themselves shot to pieces.

When for the n-th time it ended with me staring blankly at the screen with an overstimulated mind,doing nothing anymore and just sitting there paralyzed by overstimulation of my senses and letting the troops take care of themselves, with shouts of 'we are under attack' and getting slaughtered, I decided to quit.

I've a bad feeling about World in Conflict and Warfare: European Escalation, to RTS's that look stunning, but will probably just be more of the same in my experience with RTS's: too hectic for me. I need to be able to focus on one area at the time, with nothing asking my attention elsewhere. FPS's and cRPG's are far more like that.