It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

<span class="bold">Evo Explores</span> (Android)

An impulse buy as soon as I saw it at IndieGameStand (which offers DRM-free PC versions alongside the Android .apk I ended up playing), as I really, really loved <i>Monument Valley</i> back in the day and this game draws quite a bit more than a little inspiration from it. Here, instead of a princess in search of forgiveness, we've got a cute little robot exploring a strange and seemingly uninhabited planet, but in any case the backstory was the least of my concerns. What I wanted was more of the same, and Evo Explores provides and delivers just that: there are 14 multi-stage levels full of Escherian (is that a word?) structures and impossible perspectives.

Unfortunately, just like its main source of inspiration, it leans towards the short and easy side, and can be completed in a couple of hours on a single sitting. However, I must point out that I got stuck for a while on level 13, and I even thought the game was bugged as it seemed that I couldn't possibly complete a sub-level. Then I decided to fire up the Linux version and I intended to play it through again up to level 13 to check wether the alleged bug was reproducible, but in the end I didn't need to: while still replaying the very first introductory levels I realized I was forgetting some essential mechanic, and of course I just had to apply it to that infamous level 13 screen to be able to beat it. A few minutes later I had beaten the game. :)

My list of finished games in 2016
IronStar: Oh and, if anyone's actually reading this, I have a question. How good/interesting is Nintendo 3Ds (lite?) as a platform? I see that they can be picked up for next to nothing these days, so it makes me wonder should I go for it?
magejake50: If you don't already own a standard DS I would highly recommend it. Though if you already own a DS the only reasons I can think of owning one is for the games, there aren't really many I can think of that aren't sequels to long running series (Pokémon, Professor Layton, Legend of Zelda etc), although if your a fan of the old Ninetendo games they're constantly adding more and more (They recently added Earthbound, Super Mario World and other SNES titles). I spend most of the time using it to play old games downloaded from the store. Though I think it depends on the whether you think the price is worth it.
Ah, I see. I've never really dabbed deeply into Nintendo world, my only expiriences are Super Mario on wii and Zelda on an emulator long time ago. I didn't particularly enjoy either of these if i can recall correctly. I haven't played them for any reasonable amount of time though. How about original DS or DS lite? They are even cheaper, and if i got Nintendo compatibility thing right can play all but 3ds exclusive stuff?
I finished Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, playing it co-op with my 7 year old daughter. She controlled the younger brother and I the older, except for some of the more difficult part where I controlled both.

We both enjoyed the game a lot. It's rather easy with simple controls (per person), and it's good looking and varied. The later part was a little darker than the first, but it wasn't a problem, and the game is dramatic without trying to lay on the feels in a heavy-handed manner.
Mafia (PC CDROM)

Sometimes subtitled "City of Lost Heaven", that may have been for the Steam digital version. Currently I don't think this game can be purchased except second hand physical. The game use an evolution of the same game engine used in Hidden & Dangerous and for it's time is probably one of the best 3D engines around. The graphics are hard to top for a 2002 era game. The city of Lost Heaven looks good and every building looks pretty unique and there is a useable train and tram public transport system. Plus lots of period looking cars that handle probably like cars of the era.

Don't be fooled by first impressions. This game is not GTA set in the 20's and 30's. It is an open world, but there are no side quests or other activities. It is entirely linear mission driven, where the missions are all set within a fully traverse- able world. Think of it as being half way in the middle of a fully linear game like Max Payne and a sandbox world like GTA.

The story is probably the best ever in an open world sort of game- on par with Red Dead Redemption and by not having side missions and activities the story avoids the disjointed feel that often comes with sandbox style games. It's a brutal tale of gangland warfare with a likeable main character who, over time, come to commit more violent acts and must deal with the consequences.

Game play is tough. In fact I think many people would quit this game without finishing. If you quit the Hitman games because of their lack of saving, then you will also quit Mafia. You learn to play well or you will not finish. The shootouts are brutal and the enemy is better than you- especially with the deadly Thompson SMG which in the players hands has woeful accuracy- which is quite historically correct. But the enemy are crack shots with the same weapon! I enjoyed the difficulty of the missions a lot and some of the shootouts were epic.

The only part I did not like was sometimes having to fail, not because of my ineptitude, but the AI. When it's not my fault then I get pissed. One mission saw me as driver to deliver my mates to a few local businesses to collect some "protection" money. The third stop, my gangland mate doesn't look both way before crossing the road and gets run over by a passing car- mission fail, no checkpoints, start back from the start of the mission and just hope the idiot doesn't get knocked over again. Similar incidences occurred throughout the game, but never enough to make me quit in rage- sometime the ineptitude of the friendly AI was even good for a laugh. But not when they blindly charge at enemy mobsters with shotguns (yes that's right, guns that fire shot- you idiots).

If you get past the sometimes frustrating difficulty, brought about mostly by your own mates poor AI, then this game is just brilliant.

Edit: with 2K now releasing some games on GOG, vote for Mafia and maybe try to convince them to sort out whatever licensing issue the game has and get back on sale. https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/mafia
Post edited April 11, 2016 by CMOT70
<span class="bold">Transmissions: Element 120</span>

It has been quite some time since I last played a Half-Life mod. Transmissions: Element 120 is a great short experience, it a has a few horror moments, some interesting puzzles and a fun combat with the altered gravity gun.

Complete list of games finished in 2016.
Post edited June 16, 2016 by sanfueg
IronStar: How about original DS or DS lite? They are even cheaper, and if i got Nintendo compatibility thing right can play all but 3ds exclusive stuff?
DS and DS Lite can play DS and GBA games, but have no digital store.
DSi can only play DS games and has a limited digital store (comprehensive list here), which will shut down on March 31 2017.
Post edited April 11, 2016 by Grargar
CMOT70: Mafia (PC CDROM)

Sometimes subtitled "City of Lost Heaven", that may have been for the Steam digital version. Currently I don't think this game can be purchased except second hand physical. The game use an evolution of the same game engine used in Hidden & Dangerous and for it's time is probably one of the best 3D engines around. The graphics are hard to top for a 2002 era game. The city of Lost Heaven looks good and every building looks pretty unique and there is a useable train and tram public transport system. Plus lots of period looking cars that handle probably like cars of the era.

Don't be fooled by first impressions. This game is not GTA set in the 20's and 30's. It is an open world, but there are no side quests or other activities. It is entirely linear mission driven, where the missions are all set within a fully traverse- able world. Think of it as being half way in the middle of a fully linear game like Max Payne and a sandbox world like GTA.

The story is probably the best ever in an open world sort of game- on par with Red Dead Redemption and by not having side missions and activities the story avoids the disjointed feel that often comes with sandbox style games. It's a brutal tale of gangland warfare with a likeable main character who, over time, come to commit more violent acts and must deal with the consequences.

Game play is tough. In fact I think many people would quit this game without finishing. If you quit the Hitman games because of their lack of saving, then you will also quit Mafia. You learn to play well or you will not finish. The shootouts are brutal and the enemy is better than you- especially with the deadly Thompson SMG which in the players hands has woeful accuracy- which is quite historically correct. But the enemy are crack shots with the same weapon! I enjoyed the difficulty of the missions a lot and some of the shootouts were epic.

The only part I did not like was sometimes having to fail, not because of my ineptitude, but the AI. When it's not my fault then I get pissed. One mission saw me as driver to deliver my mates to a few local businesses to collect some "protection" money. The third stop, my gangland mate doesn't look both way before crossing the road and gets run over by a passing car- mission fail, no checkpoints, start back from the start of the mission and just hope the idiot doesn't get knocked over again. Similar incidences occurred throughout the game, but never enough to make me quit in rage- sometime the ineptitude of the friendly AI was even good for a laugh. But not when they blindly charge at enemy mobsters with shotguns (yes that's right, guns that fire shot- you idiots).

If you get past the sometimes frustrating difficulty, brought about mostly by your own mates poor AI, then this game is just brilliant.

Edit: with 2K now releasing some games on GOG, vote for Mafia and maybe try to convince them to sort out whatever licensing issue the game has and get back on sale. https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/mafia
Mafia on GOG would be a dream come true.
After I came back home from my holidays, I have decided to take a small break from my Europa Universalis II game, and started NG+ on Hyperdimension Neptunia V after two and half year long break from the game. This time, I have decided to go for the Normal Ending. It took me the same amount of time as the first playthrough, because I have decided to get few more trophies on the way there.

The game is still pretty fun, when you get after longer break back to it, but compared to previous titles, at the start of the game, there are much longer cutscenes, which can be little bit tiresome. But after Chapter 2, it gets much better.

I will have to play it in the future one more time for True Ending and the rest of the trophies, but first, I should finish my EU2 game and then go play again either Star Ocean 4, Tales of Xillia 2, Atelier Rorona or Dark Souls 1 :D

Can't decide which game to pick while waiting for PS4K.

Here you can find my complete list of games finished in 2016
Post edited April 11, 2016 by MMLN
Yesterday I beat Dead Money, a Fallout: New Vegas addon/DLC. I enjoyed it.
Freedom Force

In my opinion it elevates it even more that all the heroes are kind of goofy looking, bad in a good way copies of other more famous superheroes. There's a fairly detailed rpg system in there which I like, with strengths and weakness, levels, chances to hit and miss, heroes with strengths and weaknesses or more rounded characters.

I made good use characters I havn't used much like Microwave, Man o' War and Man-Bot. It was quite challenging at the end.

Big thanks to Big_Stupid and Moonshine for managing the community giveaway.

For Freedom!
Finished J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars (main storyline, still working on J.U.L.I.A. Untold). One of the 10 best point & clicks I've played, ever. I guess the best word for it is "smooth", all the bits just flowed together very well. I was misled by the instructions of one puzzle, but otherwise the puzzles were enjoyable and fit well. Bought during Insomnia, but I wouldn't have felt ripped off paying the base GOG price.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also finished Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders. Art style: backgrounds are lovely, some of the people look just right (Poirot, Japp), but others look freakish, with peculiar facial features. Lots of open-the-box puzzles like "The Room"; I enjoy those, but if you don't, avoid this game. Poirot moves very slowly unless you double-click on him, so he achieves medium speed.

English subtitles have some errors. English voice acting is somewhat hit-or-miss. Poirot and Japp are pretty spot-on throughout, Donald Fraser is terrible, the others (including Hastings) have good and bad moments. Not a bad game, but given the shortcomings, not worth base price. Buy it for $5, maybe $7.
<span class="bold">That Level Again</span> and <span class="bold">That Level Again 2</span> (Android)

Two games that were recommended to me by the GooglePlay app, and I've certainly enjoyed them. They are puzzle platformers in the purest sense of the term: you control a little stickman figure whose only task is to open a door in order to gain access to the next room (level). The rooms are always the same but the way in which the doors must be opened changes every time, hence the puzzle aspect of these games. What I liked the most is how they take full advantage of the platform: more often than not the solution involves tilting the phone, manipulating the volume controls, or even connecting the charger!

They are free games, but they are almost annoyance-free: sometimes there's a pop-up ad after completing a level, but I think I only saw like 3 or 4 in the 128 levels of both games. They've got a built-in spoiler button that tells you the solution of any level, but before that you must watch an unskippable video ad. I'm OK with that, but I wish it warned you before downloading those videos, as I accidentally asked for a couple of solutions while on the bus, so I "wasted" some precious MB of my monthly data quota. Other than that, I'd recommend them to anyone in search for clever, lateral-thinking puzzle games.

<span class="bold">Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons</span>

I played Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons expecting a great story. The game delivered one of the best tales I have ever played. Along side that, there are many great puzzle that provide a fun to play gameplay, and an awesome soundtrack.
In the begging the controls felt a bit awkward, also I used a Steam controller, but pretty soon I managed to make a configuration to my liking and everything was fine from that point on.
The game is short, with 3h of gameplay, I played it all in one sitting, and I would recommend anyone else to do the same.

Complete list of games finished in 2016.
<span class="bold">J.U.L.I.A.: Untold</span>

After Judas told me how to access the bonus game included in J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, I went and started playing it. A week later I've completed it and so I can finally mark this game as beaten. This bonus game has left a sour taste in my mouth, although that's mainly my fault as I expected more of the same gameplay as in the main game. Instead, it's just a collection of electronic schematics puzzles, like those in Among the Stars but harder, both because they're intrinsically more complex but also because you unlock new components as you progress. In the end, some of the later puzzles got me a little annoyed and I resorted to a walkthrough just to finish it and uncover the last cutscene.

By the way, those cutscenes are supposedly the main incentive to play the game, so you get to know what happened before the starting point of Among the Stars. They tell everything indeed, but I found the explanation to why was Rachel Manners in cryostasis quite bland and predictable. Instead, I liked the first two cutscenes much more, which explain the origins of J.U.L.I.A..

My final advice: only play it if you really enjoyed the electronic circuits puzzles in the main game. Otherwise skip it and just watch the cutscenes on Youtube.

(My opinion on the main game can be found here)

completed Dark Souls NG+ today