It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lifthrasil: Great news, trent!
And your game idea looks interesting, but I will take a break from Mafia. I noticed during play that I had a hard time to invest myself in the game and after my death I didn't care at all who won. Which is a sign that my interest in Mafia overall has waned. So it's time to take a break.
If you do that, I will become the player who has continuously played longest, having participated in svery game since Shodan's Children.

@trent. Excellent news. Best wishes.
SirPrimalform: 1. At some point along the way the mafia win condition seems to have been over-simplified to "mafia win when their numbers equal those of the town", which is often the case but it isn't actually how they win. The mafia win by having control, if the town don't have the means to kill any more mafia. Often the mafia have complete control when they are 1:1 with the town, but not always.
The game can only truly be called when the variables are eliminated.

2. I think the prosecutor role needs clarifying. My understanding (and expectation) is that anything affecting the number of votes in play also affects the number needed for a majority, see the "brig" mechanic from Poppy's BSG game for a precedent.
1. I can agree. However, if a game ends when mafia equals town and another game doesn't end at that exact point in time, then the mafia sort of gets the idea that they have power roles to contend with, assuming these power roles were not claimed? So in a game where mafia has effectively controlled the votes and Town has no power roles to turn the tables on the mafia at the last possible moment, do we drag on the inevitable or end it already?

2. Not sure about how the prosecutor role works, but it seems as if in last game, Korotan thought to use it at what they thought to be the best moment, only to turn out it was way too late. Indeed, the game was over by the time they used it.
trentonlf: I am also considering changing it from a closed setup to one where people bid on the roles they want from a predetermined list (like JMich did in the past). That can make for an interesting game :-)
Okay, bear with me, but I have to ask how this kind of thing works, the bidding or the closed setup thing. I've a long way to go with Mafia.
Post edited May 03, 2019 by PookaMustard
PookaMustard: 1. I can agree. However, if a game ends when mafia equals town and another game doesn't end at that exact point in time, then the mafia sort of gets the idea that they have power roles to contend with, assuming these power roles were not claimed? So in a game where mafia has effectively controlled the votes and Town has no power roles to turn the tables on the mafia at the last possible moment, do we drag on the inevitable or end it already?

Okay, bear with me, but I have to ask how this kind of thing works, the bidding or the closed setup thing. I've a long way to go with Mafia.
1. It's a bit up to the mod, and would also probably hinge on whether the setup was closed or open.

There was a game when Bookwyrm bussed a teammate at LYLO because he was worried town was still sitting on a PR that could swing the game (we weren't). So while it is unlikely, letting the game play out can potentially create enough doubt/confusion to swing the game [or at least extend the drama, if the game is compelling to players or observers or just for the mod's entertainment].

Mafia is the more-informed faction, but usually they're not omniscient and may make mistakes. If the setup is open, then by that point they should at least reasonably know if the game is in the bag (though they may not know if x-shot powers are exhausted, perhaps).

2. Closed setups just means the roles and setup aren't announced in advance. In theory mafia should know what their own PRs are (certainly by N1 even if no N0 or daychat), but there has been more than one case where teammates haven't shared what they know, which is usually amusing.

As I recall there are a few variations of bidding. flub had one that was more of an indirect system (you picked priority numbers and then selected in order, though if multiple people picked the same priority they fell back in line). In any case, it's not really worth fussing over - if trent picks one he'll announce the rules in the signup and it'll just work in whatever fashion he sets.
Post edited May 03, 2019 by bler144
PookaMustard: 1. I can agree. However, if a game ends when mafia equals town and another game doesn't end at that exact point in time, then the mafia sort of gets the idea that they have power roles to contend with, assuming these power roles were not claimed? So in a game where mafia has effectively controlled the votes and Town has no power roles to turn the tables on the mafia at the last possible moment, do we drag on the inevitable or end it already?

2. Not sure about how the prosecutor role works, but it seems as if in last game, Korotan thought to use it at what they thought to be the best moment, only to turn out it was way too late. Indeed, the game was over by the time they used it.
1. Oh no, if there is no way for the town to win then the game should end, I wasn't suggesting it play out even if the mafia win is inevitable. I just meant in any circumstance where the town has any chance of turning it around, such as a vig (claimed or not) then the game should not automatically end.
I just get the impression that over time the mafia win condition has been over-simplified into "mafia win when they equal the town in number". In most cases when that happens they have won, just not all.
I'm not worried about the mafia realising there must be power roles preventing them from winning and I don't think it serves a purpose to make the town play out a 100% lose scenario.

2. My point about the prosecutor role is that it isn't well defined enough. Because of the precedent set by the brig mechanic used in a prior game it made sense to me that anything changing the number of votes in play changes the number for a majority. Korotan independently expected it to work how I assumed, which suggests that it is more intuitive for it to affect the majority and that I wasn't just being influenced by the already set precedent.

The description in the "GOG normal" role list at the moment doesn't currently mention the effect on voting, so what I'm mostly saying is that the description should be tightened up.

I am of the opinion that it should affect the majority. As an example, in a situation with 4 players and one player blocked from voting, no majority change would mean that any action requires a unanimous decision from the unblocked players.
I realise that having the majority change would make the role much more swingy, but that strikes me as better than the alternative.
The prosecutor with a majority change is high risk, high reward. Without it, it's weak and in some circumstances kind of broken.
Post edited May 03, 2019 by SirPrimalform
SirPrimalform: Without it, it's weak and in some circumstances kind of broken.
I don't love it either with that constraint. It's like the world's most boring vig. ;)

That said, (depending on how the mod handles the specific mechanics) it's a way for a town player to protect him/herself against mislynch.

Also potentially a way to town-clear, particularly early in the game. It's not completely WIFOM proof, but it would be a pretty weird setup that gave this role to wolves since it would be significantly more powerful on that side of the table.

And I say this as the mod that gave that power to an SK once - it only made sense for non-town to have it in a bastard setup where it was more amusing than truly effective.
Lifthrasil: Great news, trent!
And your game idea looks interesting, but I will take a break from Mafia. I noticed during play that I had a hard time to invest myself in the game and after my death I didn't care at all who won. Which is a sign that my interest in Mafia overall has waned. So it's time to take a break.
ZFR: If you do that, I will become the player who has continuously played longest, having participated in svery game since Shodan's Children.
Yes, I think I'll concede the throne of the longest continuous play to you. :-)
Lift, I am sorry to hear that, as I really enjoyed playing with you. I hope that after a break of a game or two you come back, and not take 4 years off like SPF did.

Lifthrasil: Yes, I think I'll concede the throne of the longest continuous play to you. :-)
Lifthrasil:
ZFR: If you do that, I will become the player who has continuously played longest, having participated in svery game since Shodan's Children.
You're speaking as though you're guaranteed a place in the next game! Pretty presumptuous! Don't you know that PRESUME PRESses U and ME together??
trentonlf: I am also considering changing it from a closed setup to one where people bid on the roles they want from a predetermined list (like JMich did in the past). That can make for an interesting game :-)
Assuming you go the bidding route, will the roles be published during sign ups?

PookaMustard: do we drag on the inevitable or end it already?
When the game is mechanically inevitable, go ahead and end it. For example, if there are 2 mafia and 2 vanilla townies, then the game is mechanically already won for the mafia. Town have no way to kill mafia unless mafia allow it, therefore mafia will (at worst) just NK town until there are only mafia left, so don't bother dragging things out.

If the end result could still vary, for example if there are 2 mafia, 2 town, and 1 neutral survivor, then the game isn't decided yet; the survivor's win or loss hasn't been determined and they could actively side with either of the other two factions.

bler144: There was a game when Bookwyrm bussed a teammate at LYLO because he was worried town was still sitting on a PR that could swing the game (we weren't).
Actually, my two concerns were whether Leonard (neutral) would be willing to work with us to avoid losing, and whether he had something in his pocket. Mafia didn't have the numbers to force a No Lynch by ourselves at that time; we could still have lost if the survivor joined town. We'd have had the same relative numbers on the next Day, so I figured it was worth the safety lynch; I could still threaten the neutral with "Join Us or Lose!" even if I did bus my teammate.

100% chance of victory is nicer than 99% chance of victory, and so I saw no reason to break cover yet. It would have been fun to throw off the cloak and twirl my metaphorical mustache, though.
JoeSapphire: You're speaking as though you're guaranteed a place in the next game! Pretty presumptuous! Don't you know that PRESUME PRESses U and ME together??
Oooh. Kinky!
Bookwyrm627: Assuming you go the bidding route, will the roles be published during sign ups?

PookaMustard: do we drag on the inevitable or end it already?
Bookwyrm627: When the game is mechanically inevitable, go ahead and end it. For example, if there are 2 mafia and 2 vanilla townies, then the game is mechanically already won for the mafia. Town have no way to kill mafia unless mafia allow it, therefore mafia will (at worst) just NK town until there are only mafia left, so don't bother dragging things out.

If the end result could still vary, for example if there are 2 mafia, 2 town, and 1 neutral survivor, then the game isn't decided yet; the survivor's win or loss hasn't been determined and they could actively side with either of the other two factions.

bler144: There was a game when Bookwyrm bussed a teammate at LYLO because he was worried town was still sitting on a PR that could swing the game (we weren't).
Bookwyrm627: Actually, my two concerns were whether Leonard (neutral) would be willing to work with us to avoid losing, and whether he had something in his pocket. Mafia didn't have the numbers to force a No Lynch by ourselves at that time; we could still have lost if the survivor joined town. We'd have had the same relative numbers on the next Day, so I figured it was worth the safety lynch; I could still threaten the neutral with "Join Us or Lose!" even if I did bus my teammate.

100% chance of victory is nicer than 99% chance of victory, and so I saw no reason to break cover yet. It would have been fun to throw off the cloak and twirl my metaphorical mustache, though.
Roles will be shown during signup
Microfish_1: Lift, I am sorry to hear that, as I really enjoyed playing with you. I hope that after a break of a game or two you come back, and not take 4 years off like SPF did.
Thank you. I don't think that it will be 4 years. I hope you stay to play.

@Gogfather: I have an idea: put me on the bottom of the mod-list. Running a game would be a good way to restart after my break.
SirPrimalform: Without it, it's weak and in some circumstances kind of broken.
bler144: I don't love it either with that constraint. It's like the world's most boring vig. ;)

That said, (depending on how the mod handles the specific mechanics) it's a way for a town player to protect him/herself against mislynch.

Also potentially a way to town-clear, particularly early in the game. It's not completely WIFOM proof, but it would be a pretty weird setup that gave this role to wolves since it would be significantly more powerful on that side of the table.

And I say this as the mod that gave that power to an SK once - it only made sense for non-town to have it in a bastard setup where it was more amusing than truly effective.
Well assuming that it's a normal night time power that affects the target for the following day, it would be hard to use it defensively unless the prosecutor was certain they were going to be a mislynch the next day. Even then it's a risky prospect, as blocking the vote of a town player would hand more power to the Mafia.
I think it should probably be one shot, like most vigs... That way someone would have to choose between using it early on to clear themselves, or saving it for when they're more certain of a mafia target.
SirPrimalform: Well assuming that it's a normal night time power that affects the target for the following day, it would be hard to use it defensively unless the prosecutor was certain they were going to be a mislynch the next day. Even then it's a risky prospect, as blocking the vote of a town player would hand more power to the Mafia.
I think it should probably be one shot, like most vigs... That way someone would have to choose between using it early on to clear themselves, or saving it for when they're more certain of a mafia target.
Ah, I missed that it was a night action. Yeah, that makes its tactical value even less hot.
Signup thread for Forum Mafia #58