It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bohemian Rhapsody, seriously. Yes, it had some events out of order, but movies always do that if they aren't documentaries.
Gerin: Bohemian Rhapsody, seriously. Yes, it had some events out of order, but movies always do that if they aren't documentaries.
I was about to post the same thing haha. Just saw that film and I loved it.
I am pleased to see a topic I started back in 2009 is older than the three children I now have, and is going just as strong.

My favorites from my first post haven't really changed, except I would probably drop The King of Kong and add Your Name in its place. I would also add Solomon Kane as well.

I think the last one I saw was Red 2 or Escape Plan. With Stallone and Schwarzenegger sharing dialogue, subtitles are a must otherwise their conversations sound like a string of vowels and guttural 'Thurrmups' than anything recognizable.
Gone Girl (2014)

Watching TV today, one channel was showing the movie "Morning Glory" (some kind of lighthearted and upbeat TV show comedy with many famous veteran actors like Harrison Ford) at 9pm, and Gone Girl started a half hour later on another channel. I had to decide whether to switch watching to Gone Girl, and I am glad I did.

I knew nothing about the movie beforehand other than that it had Ben Affleck on it. It really was a surprisingly good and... surprising? movie. With 99% of movies I see nowadays, I feel jaded and uninterested, so it is nice to come by a movie once in a while which does take you by surprise.

I didn't really know what to expect in the movie and where it would be heading next, it kept me guessing. Highly recommended.

(About being jaded... I e.g. watched Broken Flowers the other day (I think I have seen it before, not quite sure), and I didn't feel it deserved all the praise it has gotten. It was quite a boring and pointless movie overall IMHO, even if the neighbour was somewhat funny in a way, and the open ending was kinda funny. But anyways...)
Post edited January 15, 2019 by timppu
Caught a couple movies this weekend.

The Foreigner (2017)
Pierce Brosnan and Jackie Chan. Drama involved with an IRA bombing plot. I liked it. Bit of an action whodunit. Not AAA stuff, but good for the genre if you are a fan of drama with a mix of action thriller.

Ocean's 8 (2018)
Surprisingly good given how it underperformed at the box office. For a heist caper was quite smart and well done. It's a very good movie for what it is. Plotwise, it might be the best of the franchise in terms of a credible over-the-top heist. It might not as as good as other entries in the Ocean's franchise in terms of distinctive characters. The characters aren't somewhat one-dimensional. So I guess if you value distinctive characters over a smart well-done plot, maybe you wouldn't enjoy it as much as the other entries in the franchise. For someone who values a reasonably sensible plot, this was as good as any of the other movies in the franchise.

I don't think going all-female cast was a smart move and probably accounted for much of the drop at the box office. I can never understand why some of these people think this sort of change is a good idea, especially when the existing franchise had strong characters of both sexes of was appreciated fondly by both men and women. A move away from half your core fanbase is never a good idea.
Some of my favorite films are Coraline (2009), District 9 (2009), & 9 (2009). I didn't purposely go out of my way to pick that year, either. Just a good year for film, I guess.

The last one that I saw was The Shining (1980) & it's still very tense & very fun.

I'd recommend The Babadook (2014) - it's kind of a slow start-up, but the shift in tone & tension hits you like a freight train.
Not sure why this thread slowed down but -

For the art house nerds: Capernaum

For the masses: Upgrade
An Elephant Sitting Still

4 hour Chinese movie follows 4 people set during one day. Unusually nihilistic but oddly captivating.
Metallica - S&M 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCXG6t8eEaI
The Corporation (Full)

The Century of the Self (Full)

Anthroposcene: The Human Epoch (Trailer)

Manufactured Landscapes (Trailer)

Official Secrets Trailer (Trailer)

Ready or Not (Trailer)

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (Trailer)

The Legend of Cocaine Island (Trailer)

The Raid (Trailer)

Belladonna of Sadness (Trailer)

Dolemite Is My Name (Trailer)
Post edited January 19, 2020 by xSinghx