It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This Bethesda Game Studios’ post-apocalyptic open-world RPG is a must-play title that uniquely blends immersive storytelling, expansive exploration, and engaging gameplay mechanics. To add to that, one of the greatest appeals of Fallout 4 are its amazing mods that can enhance the gaming experience.

And that’s exactly why we’ve asked the team of Nexus Mods – one of the most popular modding websites – which 4 mods would they recommend to make your Fallout 4 even better. Let’s check it out!

Sim Settlements
Sim Settlements by kinggath is a massive overhaul and expansion of the settlements system introduced in Fallout 4. Now your settlers will pull their weight by constructing buildings and tending to crops without needing to be micro-managed by the player. With Sim Settlements, players have the freedom to be involved in every detail of their settlement or to simply make some basic decisions to get things started and let the settlers figure it out. Every building has multiple levels of upgrades that unlock over time to keep you coming back and re-exploring your own settlements to find out what's changed.

Improved Map with Visible Roads
Do you struggle to find your way around the Commonwealth with your map? Look no further than this mod created by mm137. Your Pip-Boy gets an upgrade to show roads, topography, and the waterline clearly on your map. The mod also has customisation options for brightness, grid lines and numbered regions.

Fallout 4 HD Overhaul
When playing Fallout 4 with mods, we don't recommend using the High Resolution Texture Pack but that doesn't mean your game can't look amazing. Modder luxor8071 has given the whole game an overhaul with HD texture resolutions up to 8K. This comprehensive pack covers both the base game and all the DLCs - a perfect companion for the Game of the Year edition.

True Storms - Wasteland Edition
This mod is a complete overhaul to the storm systems in Fallout 4, including new heavy and unique weathers, loads of new intense sound effects, interior sounds, particle effects, textures, fogs, dust storms, hazardous radiation rain and more, covering the Commonwealth, Nuka World and Far Harbor.

Of course, those (although great) are just drops in the ocean of modding. Nexus Mods truly is a haven where passionate gamers and skilled modders unite to amplify the magic of their favorite games. With an incredible assortment of player-created enhancements, from jaw-dropping graphics overhauls to ingenious gameplay tweaks, Nexus Mods transforms gaming into an enchanting canvas of limitless creativity and boundless fun.

We highly suggest checking both the recommended Fallout 4 mods and visiting Nexus Mods to find amazing additions to your games.

For now, we hope you’re having fun in the Wasteland and if you’ve yet grabbed Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition make sure to do so while it's on a -75% discount!
Darvond: Ah, Nexus, the Steam of modding. [Negative]

...Why recommend mods from a website that requires an account to download or interact with anything?
Just make an account and delete it afterwards, you don't need it to be active
Atreyu666: Oh okay! Thank you for clearing this up :)
Happy to help. :)

As it turns out, some of the HD DLC textures are also included in the Fallout 4 HD Overhaul mod and improved. That mod by the way, in total for all texture downloads, is over 90 GB, so I've skipped that one for now, especially at their free downloads speed.
So I've heard that F4 might get a nextgen upgrade. Is that true?
justporter: I haven't used mods for Skyrim nor Fallout 4 in many years. I really don't like to change the core experience, but do like graphical mods.
Atreyu666: I can only agree here! I'm not interested in mods that change anything about the gameplay.

I just like to know why GoG doesn't recommend the HD texture pack. I installed it and it looks okay so far. But I only played for like an hour.
because it is badly optimized compared to the plethora of hd mods out there.
My opinion is that overall the texture HD mods are a bit oversized , yes, the boost in visual appareance can be noticeable and it could look good, but sometimes they look "too good", I mean They look "overworked" or artificial, they also use to be a resource hog, in size and in performance because usually a game is optimized for a theoretical limit in texture size to perform as developers intended based in their code, for the computers generation they intended. Something bigger than they intended can work but there is always a tradeoff

Obviouslly the last word will be for the user and how a 100 GB texture pack fits in their expectaions, and tradeoff between resources, performance and visual quality.

---------------------------

I remember when Doom 3 was in development and the game had its leakings, alphas or previews,that the look of the textures was amazing and realistic as never seen, but in fact the textures were very low resolution, it was the tweaks, shaders (a novelty in that time) and lighting and shadow system what made it look great quality.

Well, I mean that size is not everything.:D
While I can understand the motivation to want a "pure" experience, and thus not want mods when playing a game, considering the bug-ridden mess most Bethesda games are, it seems you'd be going for a substandard experience.

And besides all that, I haven't been able to play any Bethesda game since Morrowind without UI mods that fix the aggravating "console-first" menu/ui systems (although to be honest, I use mods for Morrowind UI now as well, but for different reasons). Pity no UI mod was recommended in this list (unless you count the map one)
Post edited August 28, 2023 by babark
Gudadantza: Well, I mean that size is not everything.:D
I demand my 32K textures, yesterday!!!
idbeholdME: I demand my 32K textures, yesterday!!!
Okay, you get 32 kb textures.
I wouldn't recommend Sim Settlements on your first playthrough simply BECAUSE it changes settlements so much. Try out the system first and see if you enjoy building before you change it to something that builds itself.

Also, a recommended mod list without the unofficial Fallout 4 patch? Really?