It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This Bethesda Game Studios’ post-apocalyptic open-world RPG is a must-play title that uniquely blends immersive storytelling, expansive exploration, and engaging gameplay mechanics. To add to that, one of the greatest appeals of Fallout 4 are its amazing mods that can enhance the gaming experience.

And that’s exactly why we’ve asked the team of Nexus Mods – one of the most popular modding websites – which 4 mods would they recommend to make your Fallout 4 even better. Let’s check it out!

Sim Settlements
Sim Settlements by kinggath is a massive overhaul and expansion of the settlements system introduced in Fallout 4. Now your settlers will pull their weight by constructing buildings and tending to crops without needing to be micro-managed by the player. With Sim Settlements, players have the freedom to be involved in every detail of their settlement or to simply make some basic decisions to get things started and let the settlers figure it out. Every building has multiple levels of upgrades that unlock over time to keep you coming back and re-exploring your own settlements to find out what's changed.

Improved Map with Visible Roads
Do you struggle to find your way around the Commonwealth with your map? Look no further than this mod created by mm137. Your Pip-Boy gets an upgrade to show roads, topography, and the waterline clearly on your map. The mod also has customisation options for brightness, grid lines and numbered regions.

Fallout 4 HD Overhaul
When playing Fallout 4 with mods, we don't recommend using the High Resolution Texture Pack but that doesn't mean your game can't look amazing. Modder luxor8071 has given the whole game an overhaul with HD texture resolutions up to 8K. This comprehensive pack covers both the base game and all the DLCs - a perfect companion for the Game of the Year edition.

True Storms - Wasteland Edition
This mod is a complete overhaul to the storm systems in Fallout 4, including new heavy and unique weathers, loads of new intense sound effects, interior sounds, particle effects, textures, fogs, dust storms, hazardous radiation rain and more, covering the Commonwealth, Nuka World and Far Harbor.

Of course, those (although great) are just drops in the ocean of modding. Nexus Mods truly is a haven where passionate gamers and skilled modders unite to amplify the magic of their favorite games. With an incredible assortment of player-created enhancements, from jaw-dropping graphics overhauls to ingenious gameplay tweaks, Nexus Mods transforms gaming into an enchanting canvas of limitless creativity and boundless fun.

We highly suggest checking both the recommended Fallout 4 mods and visiting Nexus Mods to find amazing additions to your games.

For now, we hope you’re having fun in the Wasteland and if you’ve yet grabbed Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition make sure to do so while it's on a -75% discount!
Yeh a good start with 4 mods... Tho when one starts modding this game, theres no stopping

And daily arrivals of new mods. Long evenings ahead.
I haven't used mods for Skyrim nor Fallout 4 in many years. I really don't like to change the core experience, but do like graphical mods.

I tried to use nexus for the first time in a long while and I could not get any mods to apply. I tried various things that led me down a path of editing files and troubleshooting for hours, and remembered why I don't like to use mods.

Even if I would have finally got it working, I dread having to mess with it for a patch or new mod that causes problems with other mods. And I hate the thought of a save with thousands of hours on it becoming dead without the mods I had been using.
Post edited August 25, 2023 by justporter
Some of those HD textures look really ropey to me, particularly some of the climbing foliage at distance.

The standard textures that come with the game might not be the highest resolution, but they are artful and work together well.
Post edited August 26, 2023 by maxpoweruser
Those are 4 good mods although for Sim Settlements I would recommend its sequel mod (by the same mod author) Sim Settlements 2, because it has a narrative and immersive quest line and many bug fixes than the original.
justporter: I haven't used mods for Skyrim nor Fallout 4 in many years. I really don't like to change the core experience, but do like graphical mods.
I can only agree here! I'm not interested in mods that change anything about the gameplay.

I just like to know why GoG doesn't recommend the HD texture pack. I installed it and it looks okay so far. But I only played for like an hour.
F4SE seems to be compatible already, maybe we'll have a smoother transition than we had with Skyrim.

Does MO2 work properly with this release, without fiddling with it?
Atreyu666: I just like to know why GoG doesn't recommend the HD texture pack. I installed it and it looks okay so far. But I only played for like an hour.
I think you may have misunderstood what they meant. I did at first too, but on my second read realized they said WITH MODS.

When playing Fallout 4 with mods, we don't recommend using the High Resolution Texture Pack
Timboli: I think you may have misunderstood what they meant. I did at first too, but on my second read realized they said WITH MODS.

When playing Fallout 4 with mods, we don't recommend using the High Resolution Texture Pack
Oh okay! Thank you for clearing this up :)
Atreyu666: I just like to know why GoG doesn't recommend the HD texture pack. I installed it and it looks okay so far. But I only played for like an hour.
Timboli: I think you may have misunderstood what they meant. I did at first too, but on my second read realized they said WITH MODS.

It took me a second to parse that wording as well.
maxpoweruser: Some of those HD textures look really ropey to me, particularly some of the climbing foliage at distance.

The standard textures that come with the game might not be the highest resolution, but they are artful and work together well.
Yeah I was going to say, They may be in HD, but there is something very odd about them. I can't quite describe it.

I'll stick with the official HD texture pack.
You should start from here before even thinking of installing anything else

https://themidnightride.moddinglinked.com/
Ah, Nexus, the Steam of modding. [Negative]

...Why recommend mods from a website that requires an account to download or interact with anything?
Post edited August 26, 2023 by Darvond
Can confirm I've used all of these mods at one point, but I just want to say there's a sequel to Sim Settlements that has expanded/overhauled features, a very active content-creating community, and its own massive, professionally-voiced questline with tons of side quests and characters! While it's still a great mod in itself, please check out Sim Settlements 2 if you want more than what the first Sim Settlements offers!

EDIT: also, don't use Vortex or NMM or whatever Nexus is peddling these days, Mod Organizer 2 is a much better mod manager. Memecchi above linked a pretty good guide to getting started.
Post edited August 26, 2023 by luparaneo
Darvond: Ah, Nexus, the Steam of modding. [Negative]

...Why recommend mods from a website that requires an account to download or interact with anything?
Have to agree here. I never like a gated content "free" site. Sure it is convenient. But requiring an account for everything is not right.

Plus the site creator is not a pleasant fellow. When the site was still new, one could communicate with him directly. I was banned for pointing out to many times, his advertising was malware laced.
Post edited August 26, 2023 by Shmacky-McNuts