It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Three pillars of Electronic Arts now DRM-free

No matter your personal take on the gaming giant – the many people, teams, and studios behind Electronic Arts brought us some of the most unforgettable experiences, marvelous worlds, and exceptional titles in gaming.
Each of today's three classic releases from Electronic Arts represents a pillar of game design: exceptional world building, mastery in storytelling, an admirable understanding of the balance between scope and focus. Straight from the EA Games vault, making their DRM-free debut on GOG.com, are:

Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition — the birth of a universe. A complex, extensive universe of raw fantasy and imperfection which spawned countless works reaching far beyond gaming - from graphic novels and novelizations through tabletop games and more. The Dragon Age universe is among the most ambitious fantasy settings ever created, and if you'd like to get more acquainted with the universe, turn up the fantastic soundtrack and take a look at the comprehensive guide to Dragon Age by Kotaku.

Dead Space is a glance at a gritty, hard sci-fi world in a state of irreversible disrepair. This is a game where the horrors lurking around the corner are just as disturbing as ghosts of the past. The glimpses are few, but they meticulously paint a vivid world of dark, scientific wonders and despair – a world you barely know, but a world nonetheless worth saving. A world you will remember. Check out the animated comic prologue available here, as well as the OST on Spotify.

SimCity 3000™ Unlimited is more than the sum of its parts. It's neither the biggest nor the most elaborate in the series, but it's success lies in balancing complexity and accessibility to deliver truly exceptional and welcoming gameplay. It doesn't hurt that you'll spend countless hours listening to a wonderfully jazzy soundtrack (also on Spotify!). Whether you succeed or stumble, one thing is certain: your stay in SimCity 3000 will be… nice.

Experience three pillars of game design by Electronic Arts – the marvelous worlds, unforgettable storytelling, exceptional gameplay – <span class="bold">Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition</span>, <span class="bold">Dead Space</span>, and <span class="bold">SimCity 3000&trade; Unlimited</span> are now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!
Post edited July 14, 2016 by Konrad
rodrolliv: The thing about the Mass Effects is they're designed to be one story played across a trilogy, so bringing here the first 2 DRMfree and then say "Sorry, 3 will always be exclusive to Origin, in case you want to get to the end" wouldn't be acceptable. As I see it, they have to bring the trio, or none at all. Dead Space and others are a different case, as they were designed as single games but got successful enough to guarantee sequels, still remaining OK as stand alone stories.
I just finished Mass Effect 1 for the first time, and I thought its ending was a perfectly good ending on its own. So I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have all three games just for the sake of a continued story, but I would like to see them all here anyway, even if I don't have any immediate plans to play 2 or 3.
Happy about the DRM-Free, not so much about the regional pricing.
Try harder, EA.
Post edited July 17, 2016 by Shendue
rodrolliv: The thing about the Mass Effects is they're designed to be one story played across a trilogy, so bringing here the first 2 DRMfree and then say "Sorry, 3 will always be exclusive to Origin, in case you want to get to the end" wouldn't be acceptable. As I see it, they have to bring the trio, or none at all. Dead Space and others are a different case, as they were designed as single games but got successful enough to guarantee sequels, still remaining OK as stand alone stories.
It depends on whom you ask. For me this would totally be acceptable if this is the only way of making ME 1 and 2 DRM free. I would then play ME 3 (if I wanted too) via Origin and I hope they don't bring none of them here because they cannot bring the third too.
DRM free Dragon Age ! Thank you GOG !
is it possible for me to activate my CDKEY from owning Dragon Age origins on Origin?
ln2233: is it possible for me to activate my CDKEY from owning Dragon Age origins on Origin?
no, ar least not at the moment and I really doubt EA will possibly allow it in the future.
I think the only EA games We're going to see here are the games originally released with the two variants of SECUROM; DVD always on drive (like Crysis and Medal of honor: Airborne) or online activation (like Dead Space)..

I remember that Bad Company 2 had the two version of SECUROM at the same time.. You were able to choose between activate the game online or leaving the DVD always on drive... I also remember that the DRM was removed totally in the patch R11.

I don't think we're going to see Origin games here..

By the way, I purchased Dead Space here. :)

Let's see if I can run it on Linux via wine...
Digital_CHE: I purchased Dead Space here.
Let's see if I can run it on Linux via wine...
https://www.gog.com/forum/dead_space/works_great_on_wine_for_linux
Digital_CHE: ...I don't think we're going to see Origin games here..
There are Origin games on Steam without Origin but with Steam DRM. So if this is true then not because of technical problems (at least not for single player games like Sims) but simply because EA believes either in DRM (then why being here at all) or because they believe in the power of their Origin platform.
EA releases some of their most important games on GOG.com.

I doubt we'll ever see Half-Life or any Valve game here.

In this case, EA > Valve
I would love to see some other EA games here but I don't think it'll happen for most more recent games.
The ones which are released here now are rather old (not for GOG-standarts but that's not what I mean) and probably don't give them much money on steam or origin anymore so they bring them here to get the few cotumers they missed until now.
Digital_CHE: ...I don't think we're going to see Origin games here..
Trilarion: There are Origin games on Steam without Origin but with Steam DRM. So if this is true then not because of technical problems (at least not for single player games like Sims) but simply because EA believes either in DRM (then why being here at all) or because they believe in the power of their Origin platform.
EA came out with Origin to not have to give a cut to Steam for DLC, micro-transactions, etc. EA only finished putting the Sims 3 on there out of obligation (from what I have read) nothing since though has came to Steam from EA. It was all about $$$, nothing more. I also don't think a lot of these big AAA publishers want Steam to be the defacto PC empire it is anymore which is getting a large cut of their profits. Now we are seeing a large push from them to move past Steam and bring there games to there own store front/ launchers.

I think GOG is in a unique position though. Most of the games it gets are when AAA games are well past there prime, and not to mention their revenue stream has dried up. Those on Steam will use Origin or any other publisher launcher even if they don't want to, where as GOG audience is a lot more reluctant to use Steam/Origin, etc. I would imagine most AAA publishers are fine with GOG getting there older catalog and getting a cut because they know it's a market they will likely never get otherwise. Plus they get a 30% cut on complete games (typically with all DLC) because their old. Where as Steam gets a 30% cut on the release version, and each released DLC putting a more in Steam's pocket then GOG by releasing a game there new.

This lets all create a steam like platform so we can keep all the profits is really ruining PC gaming far worse than piracy if you ask me. That last thing we need is games spread across 10+ launchers.
Post edited July 19, 2016 by BKGaming
Trilarion: There are Origin games on Steam without Origin but with Steam DRM. So if this is true then not because of technical problems (at least not for single player games like Sims) but simply because EA believes either in DRM (then why being here at all) or because they believe in the power of their Origin platform.
Not quite. It's true that some of EA's games on Steam require activation on Origin (such as Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and Red Alert 3), but none of those games originally featured Origin's DRM, because they were released before the launch of the client; EA just retroactively added mandatory Origin registration on those titles on Steam. Once Origin was launched in 2011, EA would stop releasing their newer games on Steam and every single one of their games would become exclusive to their client and remains so up till this day.
Digital_CHE: Let's see if I can run it on Linux via wine...
Also, this.
Digital_CHE: I think the only EA games We're going to see here are the games originally released with the two variants of SECUROM; DVD always on drive (like Crysis and Medal of honor: Airborne) or online activation (like Dead Space)..
Well, don't forget more *old* games, from around the time of SimCity 3k and before. But yes I'm pretty sure we won't see games that have only ever appeared on Origin show up here.
Post edited July 19, 2016 by tfishell