It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tales from the CRT.

With our Horror Show Sale in full swing, the mood is pretty spooky around here. Dozens of creepy, ghoulish, and downright terrifying games are out to get you - but only if you get them first! In keeping with this spirit, some scary bedtime reading is in order.

Last Halloween, our friends at RETRO Videogame Magazine put together a hair-raising issue, which included several articles relevant to the scariest time of the year. Today, you can download and keep this issue in digital form by going to their store, adding it to your cart and then using the code R137BX2NYFTT or KM6R321C4WQE.

To get later issues, either in digital or physical form, you can subscribe to their patreon campaign or website.

The Horror Show Sale lasts until February 13, 11PM UTC.
Post edited February 10, 2018 by maladr0Id
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoO5az_wkoo
thanks GOG and Retro magazine, this is lovely :o)
Perhaps not from the website, but I'm warming up to the idea of digital magazines of these sort. It's a blast from the past, but I've never really paid attention to them back then. There is a huge amount of content now, but it's a scattered approach where you have to curate a lot yourself. Tons of journalist websites are more concerned with click-bait titles, and categories are beginning to get noisy and messy, where you can't easily filter what you want, as that is custom functionality that is not simple to implement.

A good digital magazine with a focused view would come in handy. Written in a light, catching and well-done manner (instead of the usual pseudo-intellectualism and estoric way), and expanding on game mechanics and play that isn't just a copy of the summary or what every other site is saying. A wider coverage on games that aren't strictly Triple AAA or the most popular is totally neat. Throw in an extra fixed section or column and two, by which I can look forward to, or just easily skim over. I would subscribe to a cool magazine like this.

Ha! Thinking about it, I could use something like that for books in the genres that I'm looking for, where it's narrowed down to the specific styles and themes that I want.
Post edited February 10, 2018 by Nicole28
Plokite_Wolf: They can't even make a "Celebrating Stealth" issue (#9) without omitting Thief
I was appalled until I followed your link and found the cover in question, which includes the blurb:

We’re getting sneaky in this edition of RETRO Videogame Magazine as we honor the Metal Gear franchise and explore the history of stealth gaming. From our in-depth look at the long-running Metal Gear franchise to our analysis of the future of stealth, this issue is jam-packed with everything a stealth fan could want including looks at classic titles Castle Wolfenstine, Thief: The Dark Project, Deus Ex, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins, and many more! Plus, we interview Warren Spector, provide the ultimate retro game repair guide, and examine the plausibility of stealth gaming mechanics in real life!
Post edited February 10, 2018 by Shadowcat
Marioface5: What a bizarre thing to see in GOG's news posts.
What is it about the combination of a magazine all about old games, and a web site named (originally) "Good Old Games" that you find bizarre?

I think this was a great idea. There are other retro gaming magazines out there too, and it would be neat to see some of them do the same thing.
Post edited February 10, 2018 by Shadowcat
thanks both retro magazine and gog for this nice little gift :)
Plokite_Wolf: They can't even make a "Celebrating Stealth" issue (#9) without omitting Thief
Shadowcat: I was appalled until I followed your link and found the cover in question, which includes the blurb:

We’re getting sneaky in this edition of RETRO Videogame Magazine as we honor the Metal Gear franchise and explore the history of stealth gaming. From our in-depth look at the long-running Metal Gear franchise to our analysis of the future of stealth, this issue is jam-packed with everything a stealth fan could want including looks at classic titles Castle Wolfenstine, Thief: The Dark Project, Deus Ex, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins, and many more! Plus, we interview Warren Spector, provide the ultimate retro game repair guide, and examine the plausibility of stealth gaming mechanics in real life!
Shadowcat:
One of the rare times I enjoy being wrong. Thanks.
Hey Mike Kennedy, when is the coleco chameleon coming out? Getting yourself in business with scammers is not a good deal GOG.
Post edited February 10, 2018 by BitViking
Marioface5: What a bizarre thing to see in GOG's news posts.
Shadowcat: What is it about the combination of a magazine all about old games, and a web site named (originally) "Good Old Games" that you find bizarre?

I think this was a great idea. There are other retro gaming magazines out there too, and it would be neat to see some of them do the same thing.
Nothing, it's GOG suddenly advertising an obscure magazine that I find bizarre.
Post edited February 10, 2018 by Marioface5
EnforcerSunWoo: Horrors of the past, huh? Sounds about right for RETRO Videogame Magazine given that these are the same people that were behind the infamous Coleco Chameleon. I wouldn't recommend putting real personal details into any of the entry fields, that is for sure...
ugh, I wish I hadnt. after researching this more I cant understand why GoG has partnered up with this guy and this company

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-05-coleco-chameleon-boss-i-am-officially-tabling-the-console-venture-for-good

https://mrmagazine.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/retro-videogame-magazine-celebrate-gamings-past-present-and-future-the-mission-statement-that-sums-up-the-magazine-its-founder-to-a-video-t-the-mr-magazine/

im going to lodge a complaint with Gog
HunchBluntley: You mean, "adding new ones regularly for a time, then only sporadically, then quietly giving up on them almost entirely"? ; )
Hahaha, I guess so! It's almost like GOG forgot they had a movies section.
EnforcerSunWoo: Horrors of the past, huh? Sounds about right for RETRO Videogame Magazine given that these are the same people that were behind the infamous Coleco Chameleon. I wouldn't recommend putting real personal details into any of the entry fields, that is for sure...
mintee: ugh, I wish I hadnt. after researching this more I cant understand why GoG has partnered up with this guy and this company

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-05-coleco-chameleon-boss-i-am-officially-tabling-the-console-venture-for-good

https://mrmagazine.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/retro-videogame-magazine-celebrate-gamings-past-present-and-future-the-mission-statement-that-sums-up-the-magazine-its-founder-to-a-video-t-the-mr-magazine/

im going to lodge a complaint with Gog
Interesting! Thanks for posting this.
Ooh, nice surprise!
Thank you GOG and Retro.
high rated
Naked links always look fishy to me. Usually it's someone posting a clip for an emotion they can't put into words or sometimes it's something... random, so I skip those links entirely. However this time it was actually something useful and topical. If only people had a way of knowing that beforehand...

I'd like to encourage you (and others) to maybe add a line of text, so readers know what they would be linked to.

Like so:
Hey guys, girls and gender neutrals, I found a good video review comparing "retro GAMER" and "RETRO Videogame Magazine". If you're interested, here's the link.

Or like this, if you're short on time:
Game Escape - Retro Gamer vs. Retro Videogame Magazine [2014-04-10]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoO5az_wkoo

Have a nice weekend.
I had never heard of this magazine before. Mostly not the kind of gaming I am interested atm, but I have interest in the IHNMaIMS article. First impression: I like Retro Gamer more. More of this anyway.