It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tales from the CRT.

With our Horror Show Sale in full swing, the mood is pretty spooky around here. Dozens of creepy, ghoulish, and downright terrifying games are out to get you - but only if you get them first! In keeping with this spirit, some scary bedtime reading is in order.

Last Halloween, our friends at RETRO Videogame Magazine put together a hair-raising issue, which included several articles relevant to the scariest time of the year. Today, you can download and keep this issue in digital form by going to their store, adding it to your cart and then using the code R137BX2NYFTT or KM6R321C4WQE.

To get later issues, either in digital or physical form, you can subscribe to their patreon campaign or website.

The Horror Show Sale lasts until February 13, 11PM UTC.
Post edited February 10, 2018 by maladr0Id
HunchBluntley: I've gotten at least 17 free games from GOG in the last year (not counting demos). One thing people cannot legitimately complain about around here is GOG not giving away games often enough. :P
athineos: It is not a complain. Just a joke... chill out
Always hard to tell on the Internet. Especially, you know, without any indication whatsoever that you were joking. (Plenty of people post stuff like that in earnest.) For instance, I ended my post with " :P ". :P

Also
athineos: It is not a complain. Just a joke... chill out
HunchBluntley: Always hard to tell on the Internet. Especially, you know, without any indication whatsoever that you were joking. (Plenty of people post stuff like that in earnest.) For instance, I ended my post with " :P ". :P

Also
How about obnoxious? Is that spelling accurate enough?
low rated
Free game please
HunchBluntley: Always hard to tell on the Internet. Especially, you know, without any indication whatsoever that you were joking. (Plenty of people post stuff like that in earnest.) For instance, I ended my post with " :P ". :P

Also
athineos: How about obnoxious? Is that spelling accurate enough?
Yes.
RETRO (ie Mike Kennedy) are scammers who usually do this sort of offer to get your bank details and tie you into a small-print subscription of their sporadic and very lame magazine.

Looks like this one is actually totally no strings free though so go ahead and claim it. It'll be crap because Kennedy sacked all his decent writers (they wanted paying, can you believe it?) but hey it's free.

Remember when? Play again! Long live the Coleco Chameleon, the best darn Snes Jr in a Jag shell I ever did see!
high rated
EnforcerSunWoo: Horrors of the past, huh? Sounds about right for RETRO Videogame Magazine given that these are the same people that were behind the infamous Coleco Chameleon. I wouldn't recommend putting real personal details into any of the entry fields, that is for sure...
BitViking: Hey Mike Kennedy, when is the coleco chameleon coming out? Getting yourself in business with scammers is not a good deal GOG.
athineos: Interesting! Thanks for posting this.
Devo3000: RETRO (ie Mike Kennedy) are scammers who usually do this sort of offer to get your bank details and tie you into a small-print subscription of their sporadic and very lame magazine.

Looks like this one is actually totally no strings free though so go ahead and claim it. It'll be crap because Kennedy sacked all his decent writers (they wanted paying, can you believe it?) but hey it's free.

Remember when? Play again! Long live the Coleco Chameleon, the best darn Snes Jr in a Jag shell I ever did see!
Actually, Eli Galindo of Piko Interactive bought RETRO Videogame Magazine (and GameGavel.com) back in May 2017, and not only has he zero affiliation with Mike Kennedy but has publicly stated his position regarding the Coleco Chameleon scam.

Issue #13 is the first one published since he took over.

So, cheers to RETRO Videogame Magazine & Eli Galindo and GOG for the free issue, should make a nice Sunday read.
Post edited February 11, 2018 by HypersomniacLive
Quickly took a loook at it.

My advice is: don't bother. :/
Darvond: Oh, I was hoping I could get a copy of Nintendo Power.
Preferably the Simon's Quest edition. That magazine was great. I actually got upset when Howard Philips left the magazine to promote a higher position in the company.
paladin181: Preferably the Simon's Quest edition. That magazine was great. I actually got upset when Howard Philips left the magazine to promote a higher position in the company.
I was upset when Reggie finally axed it and MyNintendo. (Well, he's probably not directly responsible)
high rated
okay, drama aside, I've taken the time to read the magazine and I found it pretty darn interesting, especially alt tabbing out to go to Utube and watch lets play of the same game I was reading about. I've never heard of most of the games in the issue and found it interesting, the devs historical view of the time. It seemed to be at the pinnacle of creativity without all the interference from corporations etc. Very wild west.

I found the article on the game D, which I have passed on due to the number of negative reviews regarding the 2 hr time limit the most interesting. The article goes into detail on why the dev did that and his reasoning was to force the player to live in the moment, no pause, no saves and the timer counting down all the while. all this to impart the feeling of being trapped and to amp up the fear and tension. In that respect its kinda genius and not a d++k move like I thought. Also the nefarious way he kept all the taboo scenes and at the time censorable material on the down low and even the almost spy like substitution of his private disc copy with the approved disc is very interesting. In todays litigation mentality there is no way someone could get away with that.

in short i found the mag much more interesting than I thought I would, not being a game history buff. It did seem to need more editing of text, grammar, spelling and the overly busy art style was a tad off-putting. The biggest oddity was the total lack of crediting for art, layout, etc. at times it was hard to find who wrote the article.
mintee: [...] I found the article on the game D, which I have passed on due to the number of negative reviews regarding the 2 hr time limit the most interesting. [...]
Since the sale for D is still ongoing, I figured this would be worth mentioning: I have read/heard that you can beat the game in less than 30 minutes and that the time limit is really not much of an issue. (Unfortunately, I have misplaced the link to the actual review, so I couldn't provide a link to the source.)
Horrible, its full of design mistakes, not something you'd really paid for. I can't believe something this bad has a Patron that gets paid.
mintee: [...] I found the article on the game D, which I have passed on due to the number of negative reviews regarding the 2 hr time limit the most interesting. [...]
HeartsAndRainbows: Since the sale for D is still ongoing, I figured this would be worth mentioning: I have read/heard that you can beat the game in less than 30 minutes and that the time limit is really not much of an issue. (Unfortunately, I have misplaced the link to the actual review, so I couldn't provide a link to the source.)
yeah, I went ahead and got this for a buck and change and at that price there is nothing to lose. I figure it might be interesting now that i have its background and can overlook the game limitations more easily.
nightcraw1er.488: Another gimped "freebie", just provide all your details and we will let you have something of very little value in exchange for this information which we will make a fortune off or use for advertising.
This. Not worth the effort.
Free?

Free:

- not costing or charging anything (MW)

- given or available without charge (OlD)

- not subject to engagements or obligations (OlD)

- costing nothing, or not needing to be paid for (CD)

- without obligations (W)