It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Make Hong Kong’s shadows their seediest yet. Catch it on tape. Exchange for valuable goods.

We’re not sure if you’ve heard, but the freshly released Shadowrun: Hong Kong is here and has its very own level editor, all set to take on your cyberpunk-crazy creativity - and so are we.

We want you to create and tell your own short story with the Shadowrun: Hong Kong level editor, make a highlights video of it, post the video in a comment below with a few words on why your story is amazing, and be ready to share it with the crowds.

We will shortlist the Top 10, and from those - run a community vote to select the winning three, who will get to grab some truly amazing prizes and have their fan-made levels added to Shadowrun: Hong Kong game goodies!

Before you let your creativity run wild, here’s some guidelines to stick to:

-- The highlights video must be no longer than 3 to 5 minutes
-- The story must be your original work
-- The story must be complete, with a beginning and end
-- We’re limiting entries to one submission per person
-- Offensive/hateful content will be disqualified
-- Make it exciting, challenging and fun!

What about the prizes? You’ll be thrilled to hear that they’re pretty awesome! Keep in mind, though, that due to production times, Shadowrun swag will arrive at your doorstep towards the end of the year.

1st place:
-- Limited edition Shadowrun: Hong Kong messenger bag
-- Limited edition Shadowrun: Hong Kong action figure set
-- 5 GOG.com $9.99 game codes
-- Level added to game goodies

2nd place:
-- Limited edition Shadowrun: Hong Kong action figure set
-- 4 GOG.com $9.99 game codes

3rd place:
-- Limited edition Shadowrun: Hong Kong messenger bag
-- 3 GOG.com $9.99 game codes

We’ll award honorable mentions to those that make the Top 10, but miss the podium - they’ll each get 1 GOG.com $9.99 game code.

At your requests, we’re extending the contest deadline to Monday, September 21st, 9:59am GMT (11:59am CEST / 5:30am EDT / 2:30am PDT) to post your entries. We aim to shortlist winners by Thursday, September 24th, and run the vote on the Top 10 until Monday, September 28th.

Good luck, everyone!
Guys, is the editor difficult to get into and work with? And are there any decent tutorials on it?
A month seems a bit short for a total noob to create a story containing at least 5 scenes and stuff.
XYCat: Guys, is the editor difficult to get into and work with? And are there any decent tutorials on it?
A month seems a bit short for a total noob to create a story containing at least 5 scenes and stuff.
HBS series have now official wiki so:
[url=http://shadowrun.gamepedia.com/Category:Editor_Tutorials]http://shadowrun.gamepedia.com/Category:Editor_Tutorials[/url]
I'm not mapping for that myself but looking briefly on functions list I see why they wanted more time, in month you most likely can complete a bit of story and few runs but that's it, not like people using editor used to do any speedmapping with this game and maybe because of that GOG want kick more fire to modding right after release. Dragonfall has more content but most people sticked with old ed so making new content every new game means they need re-learn stufff and convert UGC in progress and not everyone is happy to re-do months spent on something again.
Post edited August 22, 2015 by HenitoKisou
I myself have made two modules for Dragonfall: Director's Cut (Habits, Poetry and Nuyen / Random Access Memories, if you're wondering), and I can vouch that this deadline is super unrealistic for one person.

My modules are simple, three scene things, which maybe take an hour to play through (if you're a slow reader).

How long did it take me to make each of those?

A month each. I work full time, sure, but for the duration of those projects I was locked in at every second of my free time, barring the occasional night of socializing.

Is the deadline theoretically possible? Sure. That being said, it needs to be pushed to a more reasonable timetable (two - three months). Many people--myself included--haven't even finished the actual campaign yet, and as badly as I'd like to participate, it wouldn't feel right loading up the editor without completing Hong Kong.

It's a good idea, but please consider pushing the deadline back, for everyone's sakes.
@GOG: I'm a bit curious about the highlight video. Are we supposed to make it just showcasing the module straight up or are we making it like a sales-pitch/trailer for the module. The later implying that it is more made to entice people to play it more than showing off the module as such.

jeeohn: I myself have made two modules for Dragonfall: Director's Cut (Habits, Poetry and Nuyen / Random Access Memories, if you're wondering), and I can vouch that this deadline is super unrealistic for one person.
@jeeohn: A 1 month deadline, it should be fine for a short story contest. While you are right in that it won't leave much time for other things you should be able to get 7-15 areas done with dialogue and fighting done during the time frame. I think my old module for Dragonfall (before DC so probably unplayable now) was 10 areas, some heavy scripting scenes, lots of dialogues and one fight -- and that took 3 weeks from start to finish.

But yeah, social life outside of the editor took one hell of a hit for those 3 weeks :/
TheSadDragon: I think my old module for Dragonfall (before DC so probably unplayable now) was 10 areas, some heavy scripting scenes, lots of dialogues and one fight -- and that took 3 weeks from start to finish.
Did that include learning how to use the editor from scratch and planning out the story? Anyway, I won't participate either, as I would also have to learn video editing on top of it, and right now I just want to play Hong Kong first.
Leroux: Did that include learning how to use the editor from scratch and planning out the story? Anyway, I won't participate either, as I would also have to learn video editing on top of it, and right now I just want to play Hong Kong first.
It did include planing out the story and learning parts of the editor. I already knew the basic of putting together an area and some very basic scripting but i had to learn a lot of stuff, like really delving into the scripting side as well as trying to figure out how the matrix worked.

But you do raise a fine point. This also requires us to learn video editing and that isn't exactly trivial either if you want to make it look good. The point about it being between 3 and 5 minutes also means you need to have at least 3 minutes worth of highlightable content. While it's not hard to make a module that take an hour to play through, making a 3 minute killer highlight reel from that hour might not always be as easy.
@GOG: Also, is this only a one runner show or can you get some help with building it, or some parts, like helping with the video and maybe get some help with custom artworks and testing?
TheSadDragon: @GOG: Also, is this only a one runner show or can you get some help with building it, or some parts, like helping with the video and maybe get some help with custom artworks and testing?
Yeah I'd like to know the same.

This is my virgin outing with Shadowrun UGC: odds are the vid is gonna have some program's watermark and be all in 30 second cuts 7/10 times iHave to do it myself.

Of course one could infer from the rules

->Story must be your original work

and lack of otherwise clerical\contradicting statements that as long as you came up with the story, it's YOUR submission--even if you didn't create or post the video.

I'm sure they'd draw the line at who actually made the UGC though.
Skarn.852: #1: As anybody at Harebrained Schemes will tell you if you ask, the editor is "ugly, but powerful", which was their stated goal from day one of the original SR:R Kickstarter, since its the same editor that they use to create the official campaigns.

#2: Speaking as somebody who HAS tried to used the editor...
Starmaker: Do you by any chance know of standalone software with the interface similar to SR's dialogue editor?
I do not.
Anyone else planning on submitting to this?
Mordereth: Anyone else planning on submitting to this?
I do - that is, if things won't go horribly wrong in the next 10 days.
Same here. As long as something breaks I'll submit something :)
I've tried making a brand new content pack and etc, but nothing's working--

I can only create and utilize 1 scene. Other scenes appear in the files and the editor is recognizing them because I'm not allowed to create 2 scenes with the same name, but I have no way of loading them into the editor after I've left them (arriving at them only upon creation).

My UGC's gotta have 2.5 scenes minimum y'all, and this would seem to suggest other technical issues--other than the standard re-install everything route, any suggestions?

I have SRR: Director's Cut through Steam and Hong Kong through GOG if that would affect anything.

EDIT: using that little cog wheel in the story content editor has allowed me to create new scenes which are visible.
Post edited September 15, 2015 by Mordereth
cool
Mordereth:
I would suggest looking through this thread: maybe you will find it somewhat usefull even if everything works like a clockwork.
Plus, there's the old wikia for editor with some information that is either abscent or buried quite deep on official one.
A-a-and finally, just so that no one would need to look for these goodies, there're two usefull tools:
Model Viewer;
Codifier for core models.
P.S. Break a leg, chummer.