It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Make Hong Kong’s shadows their seediest yet. Catch it on tape. Exchange for valuable goods.

We’re not sure if you’ve heard, but the freshly released Shadowrun: Hong Kong is here and has its very own level editor, all set to take on your cyberpunk-crazy creativity - and so are we.

We want you to create and tell your own short story with the Shadowrun: Hong Kong level editor, make a highlights video of it, post the video in a comment below with a few words on why your story is amazing, and be ready to share it with the crowds.

We will shortlist the Top 10, and from those - run a community vote to select the winning three, who will get to grab some truly amazing prizes and have their fan-made levels added to Shadowrun: Hong Kong game goodies!

Before you let your creativity run wild, here’s some guidelines to stick to:

-- The highlights video must be no longer than 3 to 5 minutes
-- The story must be your original work
-- The story must be complete, with a beginning and end
-- We’re limiting entries to one submission per person
-- Offensive/hateful content will be disqualified
-- Make it exciting, challenging and fun!

What about the prizes? You’ll be thrilled to hear that they’re pretty awesome! Keep in mind, though, that due to production times, Shadowrun swag will arrive at your doorstep towards the end of the year.

1st place:
-- Limited edition Shadowrun: Hong Kong messenger bag
-- Limited edition Shadowrun: Hong Kong action figure set
-- 5 GOG.com $9.99 game codes
-- Level added to game goodies

2nd place:
-- 4 GOG.com $9.99 game codes

3rd place:
-- 3 GOG.com $9.99 game codes

We’ll award honorable mentions to those that make the Top 10, but miss the podium - they’ll each get 1 GOG.com $9.99 game code.

At your requests, we’re extending the contest deadline to Monday, September 21st, 9:59am GMT (11:59am CEST / 5:30am EDT / 2:30am PDT) to post your entries. We aim to shortlist winners by Thursday, September 24th, and run the vote on the Top 10 until Monday, September 28th.

Good luck, everyone!
Forum popping.
Only two-ish weeks to make a finished, original custom mission? Yikes!
Why the second place's price only 3 GOG game codes ? the third would get 4.

Anyway, game release with contest seems a good way to promote and push people to buy the game..
Tekkaman-James: Only two-ish weeks to make a finished, original custom mission? Yikes!
You forgot the "learning to use the editor" part.
A shame I don't have any time to spare for this :-(
Seems a bit much, coming up with a story, building a module and creating a video about it, and all within the span of 16 days (which even someone with lots of free time on their hands would sorely need for playing SR: Hongkong, Trine 3 or any of the 13 D&D games released today!). And "level added to game goodies" sounds more like GOG increasing the value of their product with free community work than a reward. :P

It makes me curious though, has anyone ever tinkered with one of the Shadowrun editors? Are they that easy to use? Do they use their own programming language that one would have to learn or how do you set up events?
Post edited August 20, 2015 by Leroux
I'd rather buy the action figures :(
You might consider the time constraint, given that:
-people will likely want to play through the newly-released Shadowrun before creating their own
-the prizes won't be available til December
-the judging won't be complete until March

edit:
Not that I'm really in a position to point fingers about being late with everything.
Post edited August 20, 2015 by grimwerk
What if we own the steam version?
Can we still enter?
I would ask whether I could make a level in the editor for the previous versions of the game as I own both, but I don't have the time between now and the deadline anyway, so the point is kind of moot...
Interesting idea, though I would appreciate a game codes as a reward - not to be ungrateful, though action figures set seems awesome :)

Unfortunately, right now I have no time and don´t own the game yet either, so I have to pass.
grimwerk: You might consider the time constraint, given that:
-people will likely want to play through the newly-released Shadowrun before creating their own
-the prizes won't be available til December
-the judging won't be complete until March

edit:
Not that I'm really in a position to point fingers about being late with everything.
I agree

anyway, great contest!
low rated
GOG.com: Make Hong Kong’s shadows their seediest yet. Catch it on tape. Exchange for valuable goods.

We’re not sure if you’ve heard, but the freshly released Shadowrun: Hong Kong is here and has its very own level editor, all set to take on your cyberpunk-crazy creativity - and so are we.

We want you to create and tell your own short story with the Shadowrun: Hong Kong level editor, make a highlights video of it, post the video in a comment below with a few words on why your story is amazing, and be ready to share it with the crowds.

We will shortlist the Top 10, and from those - run a community vote to select the winning three, who will get to grab some truly amazing prizes and have their fan-made levels added to Shadowrun: Hong Kong game goodies!

Before you let your creativity run wild, here’s some guidelines to stick to:

-- The highlights video must be no longer than 3 to 5 minutes
-- The story must be your original work
-- The story must be complete, with a beginning and end
-- We’re limiting entries to one submission per person
-- Offensive/hateful content will be disqualified
-- Make it exciting, challenging and fun!

What about the prizes? You’ll be thrilled to hear that they’re pretty awesome! Keep in mind, though, that due to production times, Shadowrun swag will arrive at your doorstep towards the end of the year.

1st place:
-- 5 GOG.com $9.99 game codes

2nd place:
-- Shadowrun: Hong Kong action figure set
-- 3 GOG.com $9.99 game codes

3rd place:
-- Shadowrun: Hong Kong messenger bag
-- 4 GOG.com $9.99 game codes

We’ll award honorable mentions to those that make the Top 10, but miss the podium - they’ll each get 1 GOG.com $9.99 game code.

You have 16 days - that is until Monday, September 6th, 9:59pm GMT (11:59pm CEST / 5:30pm EDT / 2:30pm PDT) to post your entries. We aim to shortlist winners by Thursday, September 10th, and run the vote on the Top 10 until Sunday, September 13th.

Good luck, everyone!
Meh!!!!
#1: As anybody at Harebrained Schemes will tell you if you ask, the editor is "ugly, but powerful", which was their stated goal from day one of the original SR:R Kickstarter, since its the same editor that they use to create the official campaigns.

#2: Speaking as somebody who HAS tried to used the editor, I'd estimate that two weeks will maybe give a single person time to design and debug one scene, not an entire story. That's if you don't have a job and have already know your way around the editor.

There's only a handful of really good user-created content for the game, much of it won't work any more because everybody wants to play with the newer UI elements, but content created for the Dead Man's Switch engine (SR:R/Seattle) won't work in the Dragonfall engine (SR:DF-DC/Berlin) without having been re-created from scratch with the new engine in mind. I expect that Hong Kong will be the same way. Shadowrun Unlimited is a perfect example of 5-star user content being broken by the Berlin engine; I still use the Seattle engine it was originally written under if I want to play it, as its deadly enough already.

Example: Using a module written for Seattle in the Berlin game will result in being stuck with the new cover mechanic they introduced, but without any of the new skills benefits (such as being able to rend armor when you have a high enough Rifle skill) being available to you because the engine requires that the level designer reset all shops to use the new Berlin based weapons in order for those new skill benefits to work. Otherwise, you only have the Seattle weapons that don't link to the new skills. Ugly, but powerful.