It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A night to remember.

<span class="bold">Thimbleweed Park</span>, a delightfully surreal point & click adventure by the creators of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion, is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com!

Five high-functioning weirdos find themselves tied together by the freaky secrets of a forgotten town. At the center of it all lies a dead body that no one seems to really care about. And yet, unbeknownst to them, it will become the catalyst for a fateful night full of bizarre events, brain-twisting puzzles, and weaponised sarcasm.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/djNJan3zQ_Y
Post edited March 30, 2017 by maladr0Id
Smannesman: I'd totally forgotten about this one, I figured it had been canceled.
That is pretty much the most foolish thought one could have. :-)

Incredible month that March is this year. First we got Zelda Breath of the Wild and now Thimbleweed Park. Next month apparently Full Throttle Remastered is arriving.
Midoryu: Maybe I will watch someone playing it to make up my mind. Coming March, 30th. Could take a while.
Vainamoinen: Not necessarily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqDBfg0FWI0

Would be better if Gronkh's English was better, but... Ron is making up for it. :)
[snip]
Thanks for the link, watched the videos. You're right, Gronkh has to refine his English speaking skills quite a bit.
As for the game itself, seems nice enough. Style is okay, though the blue-ish themed SCUMM bar(?) at the bottom appears off-putting to me. Voice acting is okay to good, sound quality appears low, but could've have been due to the encoding of the video. Don't know where the story is going, but that's always good in my book, because that doesn't happen often. Interface and controls I can't judge, have to play myself.

I will probably still watch someone play it in full. Adventures are a difficult sell for me, because they tend to be frustrating, offer limited choice and replayability and include less gameplay, meaning, if you watch someone else play them, you almost don't miss out on anything.

However: If this game holds true to its potential, I will buy it later on, anyway. I often buy games that are special in some way to reward their creators for their bravery or simply if I enjoyed watching them, even if I know, I'll never play them myself.
Depending on price point, though. The proposed 30€ for an adventure game seems way too high, as unfair it may appear.

Having said all this, I conclude that Ron's statements that were discussed at length already in this thread, in a civil and fair manner, were not needed either way. Ron, please don't act like an arrogant, grumpy games developer. You're better than that. (As shown in the video footage.)
I'm not hyped up about the game, but I'll keep an eye open, watching how it goes.

Heyho.

Midoryu

“Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.”
André Gide(1869-1951), French author
low rated
Midoryu: Depending on price point, though. The proposed 30€ for an adventure game seems way too high, as unfair it may appear.
I paid twice as much for Fate of Atlantis in the early 90s. And, well, recently some developers particularly in the adventure game area have made vast successes by simply knowing or believing in their product's worth (e.g. The Witness, Firewatch). But, yeah, Ron is taking a risk, even though it's fair of him to not sell Thimbleweed Park below the standard Kickstarter tier. The pricing landscape has changed considerably.

Concerning watching the whole thing in full before buying... well, the puzzles are most of the fun for me. I simply don't want these to be spoiled beforehand. Of course, I will get stuck a few times and have neither the time nor the patience any more that I had like 25 years ago. :|
Midoryu: Style is okay, though the blue-ish themed SCUMM bar(?) at the bottom appears off-putting to me.
I don't think you will find a SCUMM Bar in this game :-)

The verb interface is coloured depending on the selected character, e.g. it's blue for Ray, red for Ransome, purple for Delores etc.
deleted
Vainamoinen: Concerning watching the whole thing in full before buying... well, the puzzles are most of the fun for me. I simply don't want these to be spoiled beforehand. Of course, I will get stuck a few times and have neither the time nor the patience any more that I had like 25 years ago. :|
I think Midoryu meant watching a playthrough instead of buying the game, not before.
Vainamoinen: Concerning watching the whole thing in full before buying... well, the puzzles are most of the fun for me. I simply don't want these to be spoiled beforehand. Of course, I will get stuck a few times and have neither the time nor the patience any more that I had like 25 years ago. :|
muntdefems: I think Midoryu meant watching a playthrough instead of buying the game, not before.
Midoryu: However: If this game holds true to its potential, I will buy it later on, anyway. I often buy games that are special in some way to reward their creators for their bravery or simply if I enjoyed watching them, even if I know, I'll never play them myself.
;)
low rated
Leroux: ;)
To give every post its full due, I probably didn't put my answer in quite the correct context. I'm e.g. too old school to really grok a few crucial concepts that might have been at the basis of Midoryu's post. :)

I don't much care for strictly narrative games with a few QTEs thrown in, like recent Telltale experiences, or at the very least: If the experience is so linear and so devoid of player challenge, I don't see what a game like that would give you beyond watching your favorite youtube personality play it. And I also don't quite understand how buying these games afterwards (heavily discounted?), just "as a show of support" works out – I mean, what the psychology is in that respect, whether it's strictly speaking a mere donation, and whether those statements when made are usually accurate.

Thimbleweed Park explicitly has the challenge though, but exactly this reason why I will buy it would be taken away by watching a walkthrough ("walkthroughs" are what will be watched on youtube most, because Let's Plays of point & click adventure games can be very annoying when the player gets stuck). I'd still have the immersion of "being there yourself", of exploring at my own pace and finding new details the youtuber missed, but the real mystery will be gone, and the sense of own achievement will be gone (which is what sold adventure games in the golden days), and therewith – at least for me personally – also my impetus to open my wallet.

muntdefems has been quite correct to assume that at first, Midoryu would indeed watch a youtuber instead of buying the game, after all. :)
Post edited March 14, 2017 by Vainamoinen
Vainamoinen: [snip insightful explanation]
muntdefems has been quite correct to assume that at first, Midoryu would indeed watch a youtuber instead of buying the game, after all. :)
Who knew that such a simple sentence could be interpreted in so many fashions...

I'm rephrasing myself:
I will watch someone else play it first or instead of playing it myself, because, frankly, I rarely have the time to(and during the next months even less). That's why I rather "watch", while I deal with real world problems and all that stuff. If that somebody is on YouTube or my sister sitting right next to me, playing on the second monitor, I don't know, yet. However, all I'm saying is, I have better things to do than playing that particular video game, not because I don't want to, simply because it isn't that high on my priority list at the moment.
On top of that, I'm currently still completing everything in The Witcher 3, so apart from strategy games or games that play themselves in a way, I'd rather continue doing that first. Backlog is big enough already, but who am I talking to.
And yes, may be that I am waiting for a discount. There are games which I need to play at release and buy right away, but this just isn't one of them. A game has to convince me first. Too much question marks at the moment.

Regarding the puzzle thing:
I can still think about a possible solution to a puzzle and engage in conspiracy theories, while I am not actively playing, just watching. Clicking on something doesn't give me much, gameplay-wise. Problematic only, if the person you are watching is very easily distracted and doesn't click half the things.

Remains to be seen.

Heyho.

Midoryu

Added 3 minutes later:
To end the initial confusion, if the game's good, I will buy it, even if I'll never play it myself. I will have someone play it for me and it has to turn out really disappointing, to not reward the experimental nature of the developers, meaning me buying it. Full price or discount though depends on if I consider the experiment to sit well with me, later on.
Guys and ladies, look what you've done! I explained myself yet another time, but maybe that's just because I am bad at explaining.

“Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.”
André Gide(1869-1951), French author

Edited 1 hour later: Formatting, spelling.
Post edited March 14, 2017 by Midoryu
Very glad this will be on GOG. Day 1 purchase for me :)
low rated
Eight days to go. GOTY! :)
Vainamoinen: Eight days to go. GOTY! :)
Btw., planned release time on 30th of March 2017 is 9am to 10am PDT! (16:00 to 17:00 UTC)
Source: This grumpy but sexy lady on Twitter
low rated
Vainamoinen: Eight days to go. GOTY! :)
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Btw., planned release time on 30th of March 2017 is 9am to 10am PDT! (16:00 to 17:00 UTC)
That at least is the time that keys are supposedly sent to backers. Which, I think, Steam can do before the game is uploaded, but GOG can't? I really don't know. But I'll assume that "keys are going out" indeed does mean that the game has released already. :)

Ah well! About 189 hours to go then.
Post edited March 22, 2017 by Vainamoinen
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Btw., planned release time on 30th of March 2017 is 9am to 10am PDT! (16:00 to 17:00 UTC)
Vainamoinen: That at least is the time that keys are supposedly sent to backers. Which, I think, Steam can do before the game is uploaded, but GOG can't? I really don't know. But I'll assume that "keys are going out" indeed does mean that the game has released already. :)

Ah well! About 189 hours to go then.
You are right, the question was about keys. But maybe the answer was still about the release :-)
Backers should get an email beforehand asking for GOG or Steam. So I wonder if this needs to be done even earlier and if the key distribution will be an automated process or manual?

Btw. reviewers already got Steam codes for TWP!

Regarding early GOG codes: I remember once where this was the case. We got keys for a game beforehand but they couldn't be redeemed before it was officially released (unlike Steam).

10774 minutes to go!
low rated
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Regarding early GOG codes: I remember once where this was the case. We got keys for a game beforehand but they couldn't be redeemed before it was officially released (unlike Steam).
I remember once when developers got it really wrong and I only started playing 48+ hours after the Steamites... god I kicked their nuts! But I really like them and their game, and this forum is outragey enough as it is, so no naming and shaming. :P

So then. Clock says five days and a bit. DAMN I have too much other stuff to do next weekend. Then again... I'll probably won't race through the game because of that.