It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Reigniting that old flame.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The sequel to Obsidian's seminal RPG, which brought back all the immersion and attention to detail we remember from the genre's classics, is finally around the corner. Introducing naval battle mechanics, a new vast open world, a relationship system that now also affects interactions between your companions, and an epic story involving the re-emergence of an old god, it's shaping up to be the one RPG you'll be replaying for all eternity.
Post edited November 13, 2017 by maladr0Id
Another backer here
EvilMonster: You can avoid battles with dragons completely. That's a true RPG for you.
dtgreene: I see this sort of thing as a characteristic of adventure games rather than RPGs.
You think being able to do something other than murder every wild creature in existence is an adventure game trope?
Post edited November 13, 2017 by Cusith
not supporting anything in anyway related to fuckin' paradox! :/

looking for a great RPG game ? checkout "Divinity: Original Sin 2". the best RPG game out there. ;)
Post edited November 14, 2017 by falloutttt
Are we getting Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition on November 15th here on GOG?
huan: I should really try PoE 1 one of these days, it's been sitting in my account for quite some time.
Same here. I've been making a valiant effort at my backlog but some of these games take so much time I feel like I'll never win.
Backer here.

...it's shaping up to be the one RPG you'll be replaying for all eternity
In my case, that means either a boss battle or a puzzle that I'm too dumb to figure out how to solve. : )
guppy44: Same here. I've been making a valiant effort at my backlog but some of these games take so much time I feel like I'll never win.
My excuse here is not having White march, and my excuse for not having White march is that I didn't start PoE yet and I don't know if I'd like it and it's not trivial amount of money. See, circular logic is useful sometimes :)
huan: My excuse here is not having White march, and my excuse for not having White march is that I didn't start PoE yet and I don't know if I'd like it and it's not trivial amount of money. See, circular logic is useful sometimes :)
If it is any consolation, I do have the White March expansions but didn't play them as the base game story seemed complete and coherent, and it seemed a bit daft for my character to wander off for a bit of a holiday elsewhere when she should have been sorting out her existing messes.
falloutttt: not supporting anything in anyway related to fuckin' paradox! :/

looking for a great RPG game ? checkout "Divinity: Original Sin 2". the best RPG game out there. ;)
This game isn't related to Paradox. They dropped them. The publishes this time is Versus Evil (but I know nothing about them).

I've backed the game and look forward to it. The first game was very good, but not great. I'd still highly recommend it, though, because these types of games are exceedingly rare, and most importantly, I had a lot of fun playing it.
falloutttt: not supporting anything in anyway related to fuckin' paradox! :/

Pangaea666: This game isn't related to Paradox. They dropped them. The publishes this time is Versus Evil (but I know nothing about them).

I've backed the game and look forward to it. The first game was very good, but not great. I'd still highly recommend it, though, because these types of games are exceedingly rare, and most importantly, I had a lot of fun playing it.
yeah, I just realized that myself. they are nolonger with paradox, good for them. Paradox is a sinking ship.

I have played the game and finished it and also finished the first DLC. game is good, but not great.

but now that they are no longer with Paradox, I take back what I said, and wish them all the best and probably will buy this game. :)
dtgreene: I see this sort of thing as a characteristic of adventure games rather than RPGs.
Cusith: You think being able to do something other than murder every wild creature in existence is an adventure game trope?
No, I was saying that being able to avoid battles and resolve encounters in non-violent ways to be more of an adventure game characteristic.

(Of course, there *is* Undertale, but I think that game isn't so easy to categorize.)
guppy44: Same here. I've been making a valiant effort at my backlog but some of these games take so much time I feel like I'll never win.
huan: My excuse here is not having White march, and my excuse for not having White march is that I didn't start PoE yet and I don't know if I'd like it and it's not trivial amount of money. See, circular logic is useful sometimes :)
I like the way you think! :)
Cusith: You think being able to do something other than murder every wild creature in existence is an adventure game trope?
dtgreene: No, I was saying that being able to avoid battles and resolve encounters in non-violent ways to be more of an adventure game characteristic.

(Of course, there *is* Undertale, but I think that game isn't so easy to categorize.)
You actually don't have a choice how to deal with "battles" and "encounters" in adventure games. They are mostly linear, and not much about player choice.

Undertale is RPG, there is no much to argue about that. But you had nonviolent solution to a combat in RPG-s at least since Ultima IV, and pretty much perfected in Fallout and it's derivatives.
dtgreene: I should probably point out that one of the major problems I had with the IE games was the real time with pause combat system (which I have described as combining the worst of turn-based and real-time combat while lacking the rhythm of turn based and the fluidity of real time), so I have a feeling I probably wouldn't like the game if it uses that system.
thuey: Oooh I'm huge on game mechanics discussions. I'd love to hear you elaborate more on this.

My personal take:

- I hate real-time combat in RPGs. Real-time is supposed to be about learning patterns, reflexes and timing. But then the "RPG"ness of it automatically makes you stronger just for playing (leveling up). So there's an inherent contradiction with itself.

- Moreover, real-time combat in RPGs tend to be of two types:

Action/combo oriented - Something like Namco's Tales series, which bores me to death due to the mashiness and juggling enemies as much as possible

"Guided" - RTS-like, where you don't have precise control over a character, but you command them to do things. These are the Diablos / Torchlights. This is even worse than the action-oriented approach, because you click and the game decides how to do it. (A click on an enemy has your character walk first to the enemy and then strike based on some AI, compared to you manually positioning your character wherever you want, and then hitting whenever you want). The other flaw of this method is that could also be down to how fast you can click on icons / hit shortcuts, making it less about the action and more about UI management.

Both types are odious to me.

- Having a real-time party-based game is awful. Usually you control one person, and the AI controls the other characters. I find the problem with this to be that you have to fight not only against the opponent, but also your allied AI because they don't do what you would have done.

- The Infinity Engine makes the vagueness of real-timeiness tolerable. The fact that you can pause means you can set up precise instructions to each of your party members, taking the Allied AI issue out of equation. It also doesn't make it a click/mashfest that action oriented RPGs tend to be.

Is it perfect? No, I still think turn based is superior. But it's definitely a decent solution to a problem it's created.
Pretty much completely incorrect but you are allowed to your opinion. Only reason why IE combat was good is in it's decent to brilliant encounters. Pure RT is superior to RTwP in any game, reason why they put it in IE games is because they wanted to show "exciting" combat which doesn't exactly works in RT do the party based nature of a game and D&D rules.
Post edited November 14, 2017 by Mafwek
I hope they won't repeat Tyranny mistakes with it. First PoE wasn't anything special but still fun to play and spend time on. Tyranny was just a messy and boring wall of text.