It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Andromeda Strain - Michael Crichton

Oe of the earliest works of the author, written in 1969. It's about an unknown disease coming from space. Interesting thing to read in these covid times, even if the technology used in this book and shown as "cutting edge" feels rightly outdated. ut it's perfectly Crichton-esque: well written, fast-paced, gripping and with well camped characters. A very interesting read indeed.

So far in 2021: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/books_finished_in_2021/post37
xa_chan: The Andromeda Strain - Michael Crichton

Oe of the earliest works of the author, written in 1969. It's about an unknown disease coming from space. Interesting thing to read in these covid times, even if the technology used in this book and shown as "cutting edge" feels rightly outdated. ut it's perfectly Crichton-esque: well written, fast-paced, gripping and with well camped characters. A very interesting read indeed.
I think the movie is more famous.
It sounds like you are not aware of it?
★★★ The Complete Father Brown / G.K. Chesterton
★☆☆ Odd and the Frost Giants / Neil Gaiman
★★☆ Mirror / Graham Masterton
★★★ Ben Hur / Lew Wallace
★★★ Storytelling with Data / Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic
★★★ Historia życia prywatnego. T. 1, Od Cesarstwa Rzymskiego do roku tysięcznego / Paul Veyne
★★☆ The New One Minute Manager / Kenneth H. Blanchard,Spencer Johnson
★★☆ Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity / David Allen

List of all books read in 2021.
Books read in 2021:

Homeland - Book One The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
Exile - Book Two The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
Sojourn - Book Three The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
Book 2: The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, The Halflling's Gem; The Legend of Drizzt 25th Anniversary Edition by R.A. Salvatore
The Legacy by R.A. Salvatore
Winning Insurgent War Back to Basics by Geoff Demarest
Sourcery by Terry Pratchett
Men At Arms by Terry Prachett
Oath of Fealty by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
The Legacy of Heorot by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle and Steven Barnes
Darkmage by Barbara Hambly
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

2020 List
2019 List
2018 List
2017 List
2016 List
Post edited December 23, 2021 by DavidOrion93

PetrusOctavianus: I think the movie is more famous.
It sounds like you are not aware of it?
Indeed, I didn't know a movie had been done... but I'm not surprised! ^_^
DavidOrion93: ...
Welcome on board! :)
So, I just finished reading Paul Vincent's The Beginning.

I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book (Voyage of the Elysian), but found the last third (The Discovery) to be subpar when compared with the first 2/3s. however, having seen that Voyage was originally a separate volume, this makes sense.

That is a fantastic book! As a teen I happened upon it at my grandparents' house, and loved it!
The List

Ship of Magic - Robin Hobb
Mad Ship - Robin Hobb
Ship of Destiny - Robin Hobb
Reckless Sleep - Roger Levy
Dark Heavens - Roger Levy
The Paladin - C.J. Cherryh
The Dreaming Void - Peter F. Hamilton
Post edited December 31, 2021 by Thiefer
Thiefer: It's the warmth of my bed, the stillness and near absolute silence I cherish as much as the stories themselves.
I just love it means I get to put my feet up for a while, especially as I get older and circulation gets poorer.

Nothing beats reclining and relaxing in a bed with a good book, lost in some other world of thought ... escape from the horrors of reality ... though maybe not the horrors in your book ... ha ha ha.
Post edited February 19, 2021 by Timboli
Homeland - Book One The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
I haven't read this trilogy books in 20+ years. They were my first introduction to fantasy.
Drizzt's naivete throughout the book is quite self-dangerous in the chaotic matriarchal drow society that expects conformity.
Post edited February 20, 2021 by DavidOrion93
Thiefer: ...
Welcome :)

★☆☆ Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days / Jake Knapp

★☆☆ American Psycho / Bret Easton Ellis

★★☆ What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast / Laura Vanderkam
This one was quite interesting, but it does not solve the main problem – how to get up early enogh to actually have this kind of dillemas ;)

★★★ Dziecinnie prosta matematyka / M.Jaworska, M.Jędrzejewska, K.Nawrocka-Skolimowska

List of all books read in 2021.
Exile - Book Two The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
Drizzt has the courage to leave Menzoberranzan, and manages to survive in the Underdark wilds for years.
Sojourn - Book Three The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
Drizzt travels to the surface and undergoes many trials to find a place to be accepted.
I'm back to reading the Foundation series, and also my first physical book for the year - ISAAC ASIMOV - PRELUDE TO FOUNDATION (paperback).

I really should try and acquire THE CURRENTS OF SPACE, which chronologically comes before PRELUDE, and was certainly written before it ... actually written after the original trilogy in the series, though it comes earlier in the timeline. Would prefer an ebook, but might have to settle for a secondhand paperback. Been quite a while since my old favorite pastime of browsing secondhand bookshops. I have THE STARS LIKE DUST sequel to CURRENTS in the hardcover omnibus that contains the original trilogy plus the I, ROBOT collection. Probably should have read that sequel first too, but I felt in the mood to read me some ASIMOV right now, so I guess they will have to wait. The only other issue in doing what I have, is that those two earlier written novels were penned a decade or four before PRELUDE, and I have found his later writings to be much better reads, so they will no doubt suffer by comparison.

My reading list for 2021

P.S. I'll also need to get PEBBLE IN THE SKY. Damn publisher hasn't provided much ASIMOV as ebooks on Amazon or elsewhere that I can tell ... done many fruitless searches yet again. Of course I could just use a pirate copy, but I don't want to do that. Going by past experience, I bet if I went to Amazon using a VPN as an American, I would see heaps of ASIMOV ebooks available. Bloody prejudice bordering on racism I reckon ... I'm not American, so I miss out. I reckon ISAAC would be disgusted at the current state of affairs ... he would want his books to be read and spread far and wide, right across the world.
Post edited February 27, 2021 by Timboli
I did a reread of the Foundation series after seeing the trailer of the upcoming tv series (I also did this with Dune haha), tried the Chronological order this time and stopped after Second Foundation, I'm a big fan of the Original trilogy but I did not enjoy the prequels and sequels too much.
I'm still waiting for a nice edition of the robot series by asimov to reread them too, they are fantastic and I really like how they connect to Foundation.