It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

There is no need to rattle your bones to join our spine-chilling Halloween contest and celebrate this spooky season. This time, you can win 1 of 15 horror game bundles by simply recommending a horror game in the comments!

The bundle includes the following games: Blair Witch, Observer: System Redux, Remothered: Tormented Fathers, CARRION, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, SOMA, Outlast, Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut and WORLD OF HORROR.

The contest ends on November 3rd, 2 PM UTC.
Screen flickering as the Sega Genesis fires up, breathing life or mayhaps unlife into the electronics. The SEGA symbol comes up as the eerie night continues on outside. Looking at the screen the name comes up Splatterhouse 2.

I remember reading about it in EGM.and was curious. Friend was more Nintendo Power at the time and I was interested in more options out there.

It fit the bill as a horrorish and unsettling game to play that October. I enjoyed it immensely and especially the opening level as it gives that creepy dark atmosphere to the start.

My pick I say you can't go wrong with Splatterhouse 2.
Alien Isloation, because few games have managed to scare me, especially with a known and visible enemy. The save system helped a lot to increase the fear because it makes noise and attracts the xenomorph.
i live ... again
and I recommend Blood
Eternal Darkness.

The game constantly messes with you psychologically, has absolutely stellar voice acting and is still one of the best Lovecraftian games ever made, both aesthetically and narratively.
low rated
just nothing... I'm Chuck Norris... ahahha
I remember some pretty good jump scares the first time I played Clive Barker's Undying. Good times.
SOMA
scary on so many levels
Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Turn the lights off and put your headphones on - there's nothing quite like it!
It's difficult for me to choose one game to recommend, there are great titles out there that I have played and so many other that are unkown for me, but if I have to choose one it must be SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM. Silent Hill is one of my favourite series in general, not just speaking of horror games, because the work of Team Silent is masterful, the level of detail their games is astounding.
I think SH4 The Room is the best in the series, still remember when I played the game for the first time so many years ago on the PS2, from the moment they show me that intro it scared the s**t out of me, that sequence of blurry videos that scares you without jumpscares, just relying on the creepy sequences, the atmosphere, a sad song (Room of Angel) and disturbing sounds that set the tone for what is to come, an exponent of Japanese Horror.
You start the game as Henry Townshend, you are locked in a filthy apartment cover in rust and a nightmare creature attacks you, then you wake up in a not so better reality, you are traped in your own apartment, isolated from the exterior world, your home that it should be your safe place, is your prision. You will have to find the way to escape, while you progress to the story and discover what is the mystery behind Room 302.
The game is very well written, with a cast of characters that are Dr. Freud's wet dream, easily the best villan of the series and outstanding atmosphere characteristic of the Silent Hill games.
The game also have and incredible soundtrack from the master Akira Yamaoka, that fits perfect with the game and even unveil more of the story through the lyrics.
You will feel a great amalgam of emotions throughout the game, loneliness, sadness, fear, discomfort, repulsion and even happiness, it's and incredible journey and that is why my recommendation is Silent Hill 4 (https://www.gog.com/game/silent_hill_4_the_room).

BONUS: I want to recommend other games if your budget is constrain, you don't need to much money to have a bad time :V

- Penunbra Collection: The first game of Frictional Games, developers of Amnesia The Dark Descent, and in my opinion, their best game. Currently on sale for $2 (https://www.gog.com/game/the_penumbra_collection).

- Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth: The best adaptation of the Cthulhu Mythos. Currently on sale for $2.50 (https://www.gog.com/game/call_of_cthulhu_dark_corners_of_the_earth).

- The Cat Lady: Disturbing adventure game, you have to kill a bunch of parasites (https://www.gog.com/game/the_cat_lady).

- Doki Doki Literature Club: Disturbing Dating Simulator, the game destroy the 4th wall to give you a great horror experience. The Basic Game is free and really good, you will have a great experience and hopefully one day we will see the extended remastered version here on GOG.

- Total Chaos: A Total Conversion Stand-alone mod for Doom 2, it's creepy as hell and you will get it without spend a cent.

Thanks for this contest and happy Halloween to all of you!!!!
Amnesia :DD Even just the music when the grunts are chasing is super scarry.. :(
I'm going to essentially "recommend it forward" by recommending Song of Horror. I had asked another forumgoer about this game who happened to be playing it, and their playthrough really piqued my interest. https://www.gog.com/game/song_of_horror
Highly recommend the point & click sci-fi horror STASIS. The setup is familiar – a seemingly abandoned space station, signs of a hostile takeover, reading through the messages of the dead crew, etc. Where it gets crazy is the Cronenberg stuff. I've never seen another game to utilize body horror so effectively, and from a detached isometric view to boot.
It's about as far from the GOG demographic as you can get, being exclusive to a $200-$400 plastic box, but I'll take every chance I can to say how much I love Bloodborne.
It does so much right on the horror front, starting by not explicitly branding itself as a horror title to set expectations. By just letting the setting be what it is, it lets the player become increasingly uncomfortable and worried in a way that's organic. It channels the existential nightmare that Lovecraft wrote about better than anything directly based on his works, in my opinion. A lot of this comes from how well known Lovecraft's lore is to the public at this point, so evoking its terror of the unknown requires a great deal of effort, if if not a new spin on it.
The player character is arguably stronger and more capable than any action horror protagonist, like Leon Kennedy or Isaac Clarke, but the sheer oppressive power of the enemies can make you feel like some average Joe/Jolene trying to fend off death itself with a 2x4.

On the note of genres, I'll also push Umineko. It's easy to enter the realm of pseudo-spoilers by saying too much about what it does with its themes, but it simply is itself, regardless of labels.
When it's horrifying, it's because the events are horrible, and not because it wants to be a big spooky ride.
Probably been mentioned a million times before, but Eternal Darkness. A story that spans thousands of years and offers a dozen characters? A series of sanity effects that make Psycho Mantis seem tame? Cockroaches across your screen? Randomly exploding heads? Canadian firefighter with a machine gun against eldritch abominations led by a Roman Centurion? The game was ahead of its time, letting you experience everything from survival horror to psychological and action horror in one playthrough. Or, rather, in three playthroughs, as the "true" ending required you to foil the plans of three distinct abominations with their own unique monsters and strategies.

Honestly, I'd take an ED remaster over RE9 or Silent Hills.
In the tradition of good old games...

My recommendation will go back to 1994 to a (now) little-known game: Ecstatica.

Single developer (a few more added later), minimalist UI, directly plunged into an hostile background of a medieval town full of horrors... at the time, it was the equivalent of Dark Souls, move to a different screen, get slain, learn, repeat until solution is found, move on to discover more of the story.