It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our Autumn Sale is up and about – with a golden variety of amazing discounts and fresh offers! While we fall into the new season though, dark and gloomy as can be, we should pause for a moment, and remember of the importance of our mental health.

Earlier this year, we partnered up with Safe In Our World, to raise the subject of mental health awareness within the gaming industry and video games enthusiasts’ community. Safe In Our World is a charity with the main goal of creating and fostering mental health awareness within these areas, to eliminate the stigma surrounding mental health, make it a natural topic of discussion, and promote the dialogue surrounding mental health so that people are not afraid to reach out for help if they need it; and we want to support just that. 

Together, we teamed up to create a special collection of games – we strongly believe that what we experience in the fictional worlds can often reflect real-world issues and feelings. The Safe In Our World curated collection includes a range of games that were created tackling subjects such as loss, depression, identity, and can help gamers cope with or understand their mental health better; as well as generally challenge how we think about it. Moreover, we’ve had the pleasure to talk with Rosie Taylor – Safe In Our World’s Content & Community Manager, who agreed to answer some of our questions and shed light on the matter of mental health within the gaming industry and the gaming community; you can find the interview HERE.

This time, for the occasion of our Autumn Sale, we’re teaming up again: to give away Safe In Our World’s Sidekick: The Video Games Mental Health Journal!

Sidekick: The Video Games Mental Health Journal is both a journal and a resource focused on improving the mental health of those in the games community (and anyone who needs it). By connecting you to the games you love so much, Sidekick will feel like a familiar friend who’s there for you when you need it; whether you need some time to free write and color or want some targeted help for what you’re going through in the form of breathing exercises and journaling prompts, Sidekick will be with you! The journal includes 140 pages filled with video game and mental health related activities, prompts, and free journaling pages, resources and advice on how to manage your own wellbeing; all that, printed by Standart Impressa on 110gsm uncoated paper, with the dot grid that will let you journal and doodle to your heart’s content without getting in the way.

Take part in our contest until September 4th, 6 PM UTC, and get a chance to win your copy of Sidekick HERE – good luck!
mrkgnao: It's hard to imagine something more oxymoronic than an entity advocating mental health while promoting itself on social media.
On the one hand I agree with you, but on the other I don't.

Social media for sure, is full of folk with mental issues, just as there are many there also who have very little true understanding (or any) of mental issues. So it is likely a good place to reach out, and to try and make a difference.

It's a complex beast.

For many with a mental issue, social media is somewhere to connect with others. At the same time, the place is very often not healthy, certainly with all the cretins on there too. It is a double edged sword in all reality.

Me, I have been avoiding Facebook for a few years now, but not just because of some of the people on there, but mostly because Facebook has too much power etc. I still believe it is a good place to reconnect with people, if you remove the negatives, but alas it seems you cannot ... hence my avoidance for now. Never bothered with Twitter or any others.

In all reality though, where else would you reach out to make a difference? A huge number of folk use social media, and it is an easy choice for connecting with lots of folk. In many regards, Facebook for instance is a snapshot of society ... the good and the bad.
Post edited August 31, 2023 by Timboli
Timboli: In all reality though, where else would you reach out to make a difference?
I am no expert, but some ideas:
1) Online video game stores
2) Game review websites
3) Mental health websites
4) Online and offline periodicals and newspapers
Post edited September 01, 2023 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: I am no expert, but some ideas:
1) Online video game stores
2) Game review websites
3) Mental health websites
4) Online and offline periodicals and newspapers
5) International Mental Health Organizations under the branches of the United Nations.
6) A link to 988.
7) Maybe even a link to a mental health services and resource locator, like the one United Way has.
8) A bit of a stretch, but NPR, PBS, and other public funded stations.
Yep, but I imagine they are already doing all those or other folk are.

I can understand them going to where it might extend the range of impact ... where many folk are, that particularly need to be educated.