It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tauto:
Naw just find it funny that other countries don't have it and see people talk about what to do with hate speech or anything offensive. I truly get that this is a company and that if we all truly had freedom of speech that it will be curbed just like it is now but like I said I just find the attitudes of people from other countries that don't have freedom of speech just plain funny to me.

America- Say whatever the fuck you want (minus threats or injury cuz of your words) in the world but don't bring that shit to the work place or store.

Canada- Comedian gets an obnoxious/heckler group calls them a dyke and some other shit and gets sued for being offensive and the heckler won.
Emachine9643: Naw just find it funny that other countries don't have it
I just find the attitudes of people from other countries that don't have freedom of speech just plain funny to me.
Troll harder.

I just find the attitudes of people from other countries that don't have freedom of speech just plain funny to me.
plagren: Troll harder.
You're from 'other'... that's leaving a lot to interpretation, my friend. :p
low rated
Tauto:
Emachine9643: Naw just find it funny that other countries don't have it and see people talk about what to do with hate speech or anything offensive.
Other countries such as what?
In your example with Canada, that's disrupting a comedian in the middle of the performance. One dude who does a little here and there, maybe you can ignore if he's not too persistent, but a "group", you say? That's ruining not only the comedian, but the entire audience who paid to see the performance who's getting the whole thing disrupted. Not to mention the fact that
Just as you're free to say what you want, that doesn't mean I'm legally required to listen to you. There's also a time and a place for saying what you have to say. A lot of us Americans tend to confuse "free speech" with "I can say whatever I want whenever I want to", which simply isn't true. That's just making excuses for being a rude, loudmouthed moron. By that logic, Westboro Baptist Church protesting at the funeral of a gay soldier (and other funerals) would be okay, despite the trauma it would put on the grieving friends and family.
Mind you, you still DO have the right to say whatever you want. Not happy with the government? You can protest. Don't like Snickers? You can petition your store to stop selling them. Heck, if you just want to be offensive for the sake of being offensive, you know what? You can. You could sign on as a comedian and tell obscene jokes on stage for an hour. There are some places in this country where you can even walk around buck naked as a means of free expression. The difference is, again, time and place.

On top of ALL OF THAT, regardless of where people are from, why should they not have an opinion on free speech? The laws of the area they live in don't necessarily reflect their own values.
zeogold: sniiiip
I enjoy your many words. Please enjoy my alcohol driven comment :D

HI FAB LES THIS IS ME DRUNK... I LOVE BEING RINEDS WITHS PEOPLE.
low rated
micktiegs_8: HI FAB LES THIS IS ME DRUNK... I LOVE BEING RINEDS WITHS PEOPLE.
Could be drunker.
I give it a 7.5 out of fFHOAhdaht31tfsz
micktiegs_8: HI FAB LES THIS IS ME DRUNK... I LOVE BEING RINEDS WITHS PEOPLE.
zeogold: Could be drunker.
I give it a 7.5 out of fFHOAhdaht31tfsz
so much smiles! i don't want to derail an important topic so yes... i guess i can leave it there :D
zeogold: By that logic, Westboro Baptist Church protesting at the funeral of a gay soldier (and other funerals) would be okay, despite the trauma it would put on the grieving friends and family.
That's a weird example considering their right to do exactly that was upheld by the supreme court.
zeogold: On top of ALL OF THAT, regardless of where people are from, why should they not have an opinion on free speech? The laws of the area they live in don't necessarily reflect their own values.
Here are the countries, read up but notice not alot of countries guarantee that you have the right of freedom of speech like here in America.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country

Re-Read the comedian thing- Theres a show. People pay to get in. Hecklers heckle. Comedian makes fun of them and goes in on there sexuality. Hecklers get butt hurt, they sue. They win. OH! CANADA!.....

I'm not saying they shouldn't have an opinion just that I find it funny on how they view things like offensive speech.

Westboro Baptist Church- Yup they have the right to do that and you should defend it. Is it fucked up that they hold signs saying God hates Fags or protesting funerals from soldiers and children. Yup. But you have to honor their right and respect it. If you allow them to be silence because of some bullshit new age moral code then what is to say that you won't be next? Another example forgot which state the KKK wanted to hold a rally. OK. Cops came out publicly and said they won't be there to make sure nothing happens because they didn't agree with their views. Okay and neither do I but again you know that their views are polarizing and will attract people that might want to fight so in effect your silencing them if they get scared off. So now it might be the KKK but what happens if I stand up and say "hey I don't care that trans people use the same bathroom and who cares who sticking what in where?" but they don't agree knowing that I might be attacked.
low rated
zeogold: By that logic, Westboro Baptist Church protesting at the funeral of a gay soldier (and other funerals) would be okay, despite the trauma it would put on the grieving friends and family.
227: That's a weird example considering their right to do exactly that was upheld by the supreme court.
I was talking more in terms of morals, but I was actually not aware that the original decision had been overturned. Huh. Well, the more you know.
Emachine9643: Here are the countries, read up but notice not alot of countries guarantee that you have the right of freedom of speech like here in America.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country
I was more wondering what countries in this thread in particular, but alright.
Emachine9643: Re-Read the comedian thing- Theres a show. People pay to get in. Hecklers heckle. Comedian makes fun of them and goes in on there sexuality. Hecklers get butt hurt, they sue. They win. OH! CANADA!.....
I get the feeling I'm not having the full story on this, although I'm not sure if it'd be too much of a derailment to go into it.
Post edited March 25, 2017 by zeogold
low rated
Emachine9643: Westboro Baptist Church- Yup they have the right to do that and you should defend it. Is it fucked up that they hold signs saying God hates Fags or protesting funerals from soldiers and children. Yup. But you have to honor their right and respect it.
He should respect how cultists infringe on other people's right to freedom of speech, freedom of expression, the right to peacefully assemble and the right to practice their religion?

How delightfully paradox.
low rated
Emachine9643: *snip*
Protesting a funeral or holding a KKK rally is one thing, but protesting a funeral AT the funeral or holding the rally in some private area such as, say, a grocery store or something, is entirely different.
Wasn't aware of the funeral decision being overturned, so I won't use that argument, but my position here is basically that if you're in another person's house, you play by their rules. Your right to free speech is not being infringed upon if you're being told to take it elsewhere.
Post edited March 25, 2017 by zeogold
zeogold:
Here-
http://www.nerve.com/news/current-events/comedian-harasses-lesbian-couple-sued-for-22500

zeogold: Protesting a funeral or holding a KKK rally is one thing, but protesting a funeral AT the funeral or holding the rally in some private area such as, say, a grocery store or something, is entirely different.
Wasn't aware of the funeral decision being overturned, so I won't use that argument, but my position here is basically that if you're in another person's house, you play by their rules. Your right to free speech is not being infringed upon if you're being told to take it elsewhere.
Calm your trousers. Again I think its fucked up that they do that (Westboro Church). With the KKK it wasn't private land they went through the right channels and told the cops of their rally and that was the police response. If your talking about GoG when you say store then yes I agree no one in America wants to hear your shit when your in line at Walmart trying to buy family sized bag of cheetos. On top of that its a company and they have their rights too. Just like when we're working nobody wants to hear your shit about proper gender pronouns unless thats the environment of that workplace.
Post edited March 25, 2017 by Emachine9643
low rated
Here-
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lesbian-wins-22-500-over-comedian-s-insults-1.1060726

It was a clear cut case of assault, the comedian made prolonged false statements on youtube afterwards to boot, and he got away with only 15,000$ to pay.
Post edited March 25, 2017 by Vainamoinen
Vainamoinen: Here-
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lesbian-wins-22-500-over-comedian-s-insults-1.1060726

It was assault, and the "comedian" got away with only 15,000 pretty cheaply.
Going with the moral code that Zeo is talking about. Then why didn't they get up and leave if they didn't like the show? Thats why a lot of comedians won't do college shows anymore here in the States. "BOOOO! I didn't like you using the word fag! its offensive!" Hey genius its a comedy show! Its someone else's perspective of life its not tailored for you if you don't like it then leave.