It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm thinking about buying a new laptop for a long time and this seems like a really good computer.
The model I'm talking about is the one with the 15.6 IPS screen, GTX 960m , I7 core and 16 GB RAM (I would like to hear from people with this specific model)

I've read some horror stories about it like flickering screen, easly broken hinges, squishy keyboard (you know what I mean) and keys that don't register if you press them other than the center.

Also, I shouldn't have any problem runing ANY GOG game on it, right ? (I'm a close to total computer noob).
Gonen32: ...
Also, I shouldn't have any problem runing ANY GOG game on it, right ? (I'm a close to total computer noob).
Yes. I think it is. It is a good model from Lenovo. The graphic card is a bit old (now at mid level I think). But it should be enough to play any GOG games. But don't expect it could run at ultra settings for all games though.

Edit: I don't know about some various problems with the model.. but for the graphics and the processor, it should be more than enough to play any GOG games.
Post edited November 10, 2015 by agylardi
Gonen32: ...
agylardi: Yes. I think it is. It is a good model from Lenovo. The graphic card is a bit old (now at mid level I think). But it should be enough to play any GOG games. But don't expect it could run at ultra settings for all games though.

Edit: I don't know about some various problems with the model.. but for the graphics and the processor, it should be more than enough to play any GOG games.
Yeah, I know. The most demending games I think I will play on it would be The Witcher 2 (should run it smooth even on max, right ?) And The Witcher 3 on medium-high. I will mainly use it for a bit older games as well for GOG's games.

For problems see this one for example (mute the crappy music): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQxgMxhlR0

also I can't tell from the video if the buttons are made from plastic or rubber (TV remote style)
Gonen32: Yeah, I know. The most demending games I think I will play on it would be The Witcher 2 (should run it smooth even on max, right ?) And The Witcher 3 on medium-high. I will mainly use it for a bit older games as well for GOG's games.

For problems see this one for example (mute the crappy music): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQxgMxhlR0

also I can't tell from the video if the buttons are made from plastic or rubber (TV remote style)
Hmm. Yeah. That is a problem. I don't want to have that kind of keyboard problem in my laptop (even though the keyboard backlight is kind of great to have). But I think it is not plastic... it just the same material for any other keyboard on Lenovo laptop (I don't know the name of the material).

If that is the case, have you consider another model ? Y700 series is also for gaming. But I don't know if it is available in your country or not.
Gonen32: Yeah, I know. The most demending games I think I will play on it would be The Witcher 2 (should run it smooth even on max, right ?) And The Witcher 3 on medium-high. I will mainly use it for a bit older games as well for GOG's games.

agylardi: Hmm. Yeah. That is a problem. I don't want to have that kind of keyboard problem in my laptop (even though the keyboard backlight is kind of great to have). But I think it is not plastic... it just the same material for any other keyboard on Lenovo laptop (I don't know the name of the material).

If that is the case, have you consider another model ? Y700 series is also for gaming. But I don't know if it is available in your country or not.
I think this problem can happen in any laptop where the keys are "pushed" out of the frame as oposed to laptops where the whole keyboard is pushed out (like this for example: http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200508/acer4005WLMI_kbrd.jpg )

I searched for the Y700 but seems like it's not available here yet (it would be very expensive anyway).
Gonen32: I'm thinking about buying a new laptop for a long time and this seems like a really good computer.
The model I'm talking about is the one with the 15.6 IPS screen, GTX 960m , I7 core and 16 GB RAM (I would like to hear from people with this specific model)

I've read some horror stories about it like flickering screen, easly broken hinges, squishy keyboard (you know what I mean) and keys that don't register if you press them other than the center.

I bought a Lenovo Y50 just last year (June 2014) and I have been very pleased with it so far. I did replace the screen with an equivalent because the one that came pre-installed was a bit more washed out than I'd like, and the keyboard... yeah, it's functional but nothing to write home about, as some keys do require a bit of force. I primarily use a small USB wireless keyboard combo though, so it's not a deal breaker.

Pretty fast too... Mine came with an i7, GTX 860m, and 8 GB RAM, and it's run everything I've thrown at it thus far. Hell, I crank The Witcher 3's settings up to high across the board and manage between 28 FPS and 35 FPS on average, though I'm not a huge stickler for such things.
Gonen32: I think this problem can happen in any laptop where the keys are "pushed" out of the frame as oposed to laptops where the whole keyboard is pushed out (like this for example: http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200508/acer4005WLMI_kbrd.jpg )

I searched for the Y700 but seems like it's not available here yet (it would be very expensive anyway).
I checked the price in US for Y700 is around the same range with Y50. So I thought you could just try that option if the price is around the same range.

Well, if you could accept that keyboard "problem" then one fewer problem to worry for that model. If you are still have doubts, you could just try to search other brands too (or you already did ?).

Also I don't have recommendation for other brands.. as I personally use Lenovo too (the one with AMD A10 processor -you know.. a much cheaper one than Y model). So far I am satisfied even though there are some problems too. a bit of dead pixel, a bit of frail built for the screen, etc.. but I can safely ignore them. So overall it is good for me.

So.. wait until someone with Y50-70 telling you here, search alternatives, or just go and try that Y50-70.

Edit: someone's already here ;)
Post edited November 10, 2015 by agylardi
Gonen32: I'm thinking about buying a new laptop for a long time and this seems like a really good computer.

fortune_p_dawg: I bought a Lenovo Y50 just last year (June 2014) and I have been very pleased with it so far. I did replace the screen with an equivalent because the one that came pre-installed was a bit more washed out than I'd like, and the keyboard... yeah, it's functional but nothing to write home about, as some keys do require a bit of force. I primarily use a small USB wireless keyboard combo though, so it's not a deal breaker.

Pretty fast too... Mine came with an i7, GTX 860m, and 8 GB RAM, and it's run everything I've thrown at it thus far. Hell, I crank The Witcher 3's settings up to high across the board and manage between 28 FPS and 35 FPS on average, though I'm not a huge stickler for such things.
Are the buttons solid enough (plastic, not rubber) ? is it functional enough to use only it ? Waht about the screen hinges, any problem with them ? And the area near the trackpad, I've read it's sort of rubber, it is comfortable to touch ?

Wow, if you can do it with the 860m and 8 ram so the 960m and 16 ram would be even better
Gonen32: I think this problem can happen in any laptop where the keys are "pushed" out of the frame as oposed to laptops where the whole keyboard is pushed out (like this for example: http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200508/acer4005WLMI_kbrd.jpg )

agylardi: I checked the price in US for Y700 is around the same range with Y50. So I thought you could just try that option if the price is around the same range.

Well, if you could accept that keyboard "problem" then one fewer problem to worry for that model. If you are still have doubts, you could just try to search other brands too (or you already did ?).

Also I don't have recommendation for other brands.. as I personally use Lenovo too (the one with AMD A10 processor -you know.. a much cheaper one than Y model). So far I am satisfied even though there are some problems too. a bit of dead pixel, a bit of frail built for the screen, etc.. but I can safely ignore them. So overall it is good for me.

So.. wait until someone with Y50-70 telling you here, search alternatives, or just go and try that Y50-70.

It is one of the best computers I found with my budget but I am open to suggestions.
Post edited November 10, 2015 by Gonen32
fortune_p_dawg: I bought a Lenovo Y50 just last year (June 2014) and I have been very pleased with it so far. I did replace the screen with an equivalent because the one that came pre-installed was a bit more washed out than I'd like, and the keyboard... yeah, it's functional but nothing to write home about, as some keys do require a bit of force. I primarily use a small USB wireless keyboard combo though, so it's not a deal breaker.

Gonen32: Are the buttons solid enough (plastic, not rubber) ? is it functional enough to use only it ? Waht about the screen hinges, any problem with them ? And the area near the trackpad, I've read it's sort of rubber, it is comfortable to touch ?

Wow, if you can do it with the 860m and 8 ram so the 960m and 16 ram would be even better
agylardi: I checked the price in US for Y700 is around the same range with Y50. So I thought you could just try that option if the price is around the same range.

Gonen32: It is one of the best computers I found with my budget but I am open to suggestions.
I do use the laptop keyboard on its own every now and again and it does the trick. Not going to blow anyone away though. I've never had a problem with the hinge, but I'm usually pretty gentle with my electronics (unlike some folks who treat their laptops like Fisher Price toys).

Also, when I bought my laptop I bought it for $960, so I did expect a concession or two to be made so I could have my GTX on the go affordably. I'd say the mushy keyboard and dull screen were the weakest links, but both are functional. And honestly when I began playing The Witcher 2 and Shadow Warrior 2013 (both maxed out), I didn't even care.
Post edited November 10, 2015 by fortune_p_dawg
Search: Superfish.
nightcraw1er.488: Search: Superfish.
I don't they're still shipping with that software. In fact, when I got my Y50 it was preloaded.
I've got a Lenovo. Great build quality.

However they have made a serious error by forcing their own middle ware onto users opening them up to hackers. As nightcrawler said search Superfish.

Also I was seriously annoyed they also disable Virtualisation. These are professional machines, you do not disable things like that.
You don't do a clean install for Windows after buying a new laptop? Then you deserve shi* like Superfish!

The laptop itself (have used one for testing for about 2 months), typical consumer laptop, keyboard is bad, but better than HP Pavilions (can't compare to older Thinkpads or Dell E-series). Screen IS GLOSSY and by that I mean it is GODDAMN GLOSSY unless you get by some chance the matte version, then that is one of the worst TN screens I have seen (almost as bad as my T420 screen). Hinges and keyboard and screen are meh, but the build quality feels for some reason a bit better than HP Pavilions, or Dell Inspirons. HP Envy quality is on the other hand a bit better.
dewtech: You don't do a clean install for Windows after buying a new laptop? Then you deserve shi* like Superfish!
Except If you did a clean install with supplied media/back up discs it got installed. Even if you removed all 3rd party apps after install it would reinstall itself.

You would have to have a Clean basic OS disc.
dewtech: You don't do a clean install for Windows after buying a new laptop? Then you deserve shi* like Superfish!
mechmouse: Except If you did a clean install with supplied media/back up discs it got installed. Even if you removed all 3rd party apps after install it would reinstall itself.

You would have to have a Clean basic OS disc.
Who the hell uses supplied discs?
You can even legally download different Windows ISO-s from Microsoft, you just need the key. Win 7 had the sticker, from 8 and forward i just use Produkey and write the keys down for friends/relatives (I'm kinda a luddite, I just don't trust UEFI embedded keys), before getting the ISO.
And 10 has made it even easier. Do the upgrade at start and then do a clean install by using an USB created with Media Creation Tool.

For example:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Another version is if you have Dreamspark, or Technet subscriptions, MSDN etc etc.
Post edited November 10, 2015 by dewtech