It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Pond86: I see they have now pushed the update to the homepage. Hopefully someone will come up with something to remove the Curated collections section. And replace it with news.

I have to say even though it still had space issues, I prefered the older design.
It's amazingly bad. The amount of space wasted on huge banners is inexcusable, and placing news on the very bottom of the page is absolutely baffling.

Linko90: We're taking feedback on the new design in order to further improve it.
fronzelneekburm: Since you're the community manager, I think it's fair to ask you about this: Why exactly does gog feel the need to make the number of games a user owns public every chance they get?

It's been made abundantly clear that some people don't want that when the user profiles were introduced. And that wasn't too long ago... less than 6 months, I think.

Yet, here you are doing it again. Why? Please explain to me the purpose of displaying the number of games owned next to the reviews and how this somehow outweighs privacy concerns.
It's either incompetence or they hope this will somehow motivate people to buy more, because "X has more games than me and that makes him look like a more trustworthy reviewer".

Personally, I subscribe to the "never ascribe to ill will what you can ascribe to incompetence" school of thought, but then again the "why" of it matters little to me, I jsut want it gone.
Post edited October 02, 2018 by Breja
When it takes 6+clicks to get to the bottom of a page, it's too long. I like that we can filter the reviews, I don't like that everything is in your face LARGE. At least they haven't implemented the dire continuous scrolling scrolling scrolling until you give up trying to get the the bottom.
high rated
Breja: The amount of space wasted on huge banners is inexcusable, and placing news on the very bottom of the page is absolutely baffling.
Its not just the banners though. I run at a 1920x1080 resolution. I get massive amounts of space either side of any page on GOG, space that could be used. And as for the banners there's no reason to have the gradient and it fade at it eitherside, and to be so big. As I said yesterday it just looks like GOG said "Yep, everyone is going to be browsing us on small phone sized screens, lets just put everything down the centre."

And I agree with you. Curated collections I couldn't care less about and will never use. In an ideal would they would let us remove elements from the store ourselves, but seeing as that will most likely never happen shrink them down to just three squares and move the news up to where that is. Just dont do the whole square thing like Microsoft does in Windows, do a list for the news like we had before.
Heh, i saw that post yesterday and thought what new GoG...
I thought it was talking about some new policies that GoG implemented over the year.

Now today, after scrolling down below the sales, i see what you are talking about :(
I had to scroll back up quite fast... Those zooming in banners at the top are extremely annoying, on the verge of making me dizzy.
high rated
fronzelneekburm: Yet, here you are doing it again. Why? Please explain to me the purpose of displaying the number of games owned next to the reviews and how this somehow outweighs privacy concerns.
I second that question. It has no relevance to the review (it's credibility does not increase with the number of owned games) and it's no ones business. Please respect the privacy of you loyal customers.
Post edited October 02, 2018 by hmcpretender
Yeah, I dislike it too. In my area internet is really bad. I usually just get 100kb/s download in the evening. With that the new website is almost unusable now... hope they at least add an optional "light" version.

The other problem is the scrolling. Everything seems larger now and either I need to scroll much longer or there's simple less info (e.g. less games visible on the screen). It consequently also lacks overview.
Linko90: We're taking feedback on the new design in order to further improve it.
fronzelneekburm: Since you're the community manager, I think it's fair to ask you about this: Why exactly does gog feel the need to make the number of games a user owns public every chance they get?

It's been made abundantly clear that some people don't want that when the user profiles were introduced. And that wasn't too long ago... less than 6 months, I think.

Yet, here you are doing it again. Why? Please explain to me the purpose of displaying the number of games owned next to the reviews and how this somehow outweighs privacy concerns.
There's a fix in play that will hide your number of games owned if your privacy settings reflect it. E.g. if you have your settings on the most private, your number of games won't be reflected when leaving a review.

As said before, it's teething pains and we're constantly taking feedback and working towards improvements.
high rated
Linko90: As said before, it's teething pains and we're constantly taking feedback and working towards improvements.
That's the reason that you test things before you push them to the public. You know, something that intelligent people do.
high rated
Breja: [...] and placing news on the very bottom of the page is absolutely baffling.
Indeed, it's beyond stupid. Also no preview text, resulting in more clicks needed to sort impotant from unimportant news. I'm afraid this layout will hurt GoG's revenue in the long term. If it becomes too cumbersome for users to stay up to date, they'll stop visiting this page. Well maybe it's time to set up an independent website for this particular task. Call it GoG-Watch or something ;)
Post edited October 02, 2018 by hmcpretender
low rated
Linko90: As said before, it's teething pains and we're constantly taking feedback and working towards improvements.
mk47at: That's the reason that you test things before you push them to the public. You know, something that intelligent people do.
Throwing insults does little to nothing than just add noise. I understand the frustration, but it's not an excuse to insult people.
high rated
Breja: The amount of space wasted on huge banners is inexcusable, and placing news on the very bottom of the page is absolutely baffling.
Pond86: Its not just the banners though. I run at a 1920x1080 resolution. I get massive amounts of space either side of any page on GOG, space that could be used. And as for the banners there's no reason to have the gradient and it fade at it eitherside, and to be so big. As I said yesterday it just looks like GOG said "Yep, everyone is going to be browsing us on small phone sized screens, lets just put everything down the centre."
Absolutely. The whole "let's aim our PC GAMES store primarly at mobile phones" approach is obvious as it is idiotic. I run the same resolution as you, I just didn't immediately realise how fully awful the desing is, as I have it set to display GOG in 150% zoom. Otherwise everything here has always been way to small for me to conveniently browse. Which in turn now means that the huge ass banners take up the eintre screen when zoomed, but in normal view it's an even worse mess.
Linko90: There's a fix in play that will hide your number of games owned if your privacy settings reflect it. E.g. if you have your settings on the most private, your number of games won't be reflected when leaving a review.
Glad to hear that at least. Still, the disregard GOG has for our privacy is unsettling. This should never have happened in the first place, and now it's happened twice.
Post edited October 02, 2018 by Breja
The new layout has the feel of a bad squarespace template. The large banner, the tiles all over the place, lots of scrolling to get to any useful information. I know that this is kind of a marketing trend right now. I worked with a company that does web marketing and development and as far as I can tell the "creatives" that have training in print design and zero experience with UI design were the ones driving this trend.

The web developers all hated the layouts because of the emphasis on being pretty over being functional, but the designers don't think about a web site as a dynamic thing, they think about it like it's traditional print media, no thought goes into how it will function, they just want their mock ups to look pretty.
high rated
Linko90: There's a fix in play that will hide your number of games owned if your privacy settings reflect it. E.g. if you have your settings on the most private, your number of games won't be reflected when leaving a review.
Just tried it out and indeed it doesn't show the number of games owned any more.

But why would I have to miss out on crucial features by having to disable my profile (I'm perfectly fine with friends seeing my profile and stats, but as soon as I enable it, my stats are publically viewable) my chat and my public wishlist just so I don't have to drop my pants in front of the whole world?

If you guys are working towards improvements, cool. I'm also glad to hear that gogmixes are apparently not out of the equation for good. Are you guys also working on recovering the numerous reviews that went missing after the update went live?
high rated

As said before, it's teething pains and we're constantly taking feedback and working towards improvements.
Can confirm that it's now hidden. Thanks to you and the site design team for getting this fixed and passing on the info. It really shouldn't have happened in the first place, but it's good that you guys are listening to feedback and fixing stuff as quickly as possible.
Breja: Absolutely. The whole "let's aim our PC GAMES store primarly at mobile phones" approach is obvious as it is idiotic. I run the same resolution as you, I just didn't immediately realise how fully awful the desing is, as I have it set to display GOG in 150% zoom. Otherwise everything here has always been way to small for me to conveniently browse. Which in turn now means that the huge ass banners take up the eintre screen when zoomed, but in normal view it's an even worse mess.
I tried the zoom yesterday, and after getting over the fact that it makes everything waaay to big, (expecially the banners) it also makes the videos enter a 4:3 mode (so you get black bars at either side.)

To be honest once the store scripts get updated i'll use either the fundimentals or something as i've had it with GOG's shoddy website designs. (I was on the fence before when we got the white logo, and the silly purple bar.)

Also if you hover over the screen shot area in the new store and the game has a video (such as CrossCode) it will automatically play that video so be aware for that.