It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
thornton_s: Could someone quickly clarify, sorry if its been asked before there's just too much to look through.

Is this Regional rip-off only going to be for selected new AAA titles or will all future oldies & indie titles as well as the ones already being sold here be changed to this setup ?
HGiles: Only 3 new releases so far. As contracts come up for renegotiation that could change.
Thanks.
mangamuscle: Strawmen where? if you do not have anything worthy to read as a reply then just dont.
HGiles: OK, obviously the ignorance goes deeper than I thought. Or maybe we're having translation issues.

'Strawman' is a term used to describe when a person makes assumptions about the person their arguing with (sets up a straw man) and then proceeds to knock down the assumptions they've made, but doesn't actually respond to the person they're arguing with.

Your statement of "You seem to think that business do not need to adapt to grow, if gog had not included new games and indies and kept selling just oldies they would NOT have seen the increase in sales reported in this thread." is a strawman argument. It makes assumptions that are not actually supported by what I said, and then knocks those assumptions down.
That as no stawman, I answered to what you said, you are calling strawman as a surefiure way to undermine any arguments you have no answer to.
thornton_s: Could someone quickly clarify, sorry if its been asked before there's just too much to look through.

Is this Regional rip-off only going to be for selected new AAA titles or will all future oldies & indie titles as well as the ones already being sold here be changed to this setup ?
Based on the announcement I had originally thought it would be just the AAA titles. It was later revealed that when contracts on older games expire, they might be regionally priced as part of their continued existence on the site depending on the publisher.
HGiles: I changed it to Russia while already logged in and it didn't work. Someone want to try changing it, logging out and logging back in?
Wurzelkraft: I did and nothing has changed. :(
So they are either locating your IP, or storing location information in your cache/cookies.

I guess it's VPN time for people who really care. I've already got all the other AoW games though, so I'm set. May pick it up at the Xmas sale.
HGiles: I changed it to Russia while already logged in and it didn't work. Someone want to try changing it, logging out and logging back in?
Wurzelkraft: I did and nothing has changed. :(
So it's IP-based then I guess.
Age of wonders? AGE OF WONDERS??!

WHO FUCKING GIVES A SHIT THOSE GAMES FUCKING SUCK

*ahem* uhh whoops.

But I mean seriously...

"We do, actually, have some games that I'm pretty sure will have people giddy with glee once they show up on GOG that will be available thanks to this change."

Age of wonders ffs....
Nicole28: I'm temporarily changing my country over to the United States to test things out.
Sanjuro: Temporary change it to Russia. If that works, please don't be mad at us. :-)
My offer is open to you and all other Russians as well. Specifically, to do a gift trade of the Deluxe Edition key bought in Russia for the equivalent in other games bought by me here in the States. I want to do this in order to determine if the gifting keys work across country lines. If they do, then our Comrades may be a lifeline. :)
HGiles: OK, obviously the ignorance goes deeper than I thought. Or maybe we're having translation issues.

'Strawman' is a term used to describe when a person makes assumptions about the person their arguing with (sets up a straw man) and then proceeds to knock down the assumptions they've made, but doesn't actually respond to the person they're arguing with.

Your statement of "You seem to think that business do not need to adapt to grow, if gog had not included new games and indies and kept selling just oldies they would NOT have seen the increase in sales reported in this thread." is a strawman argument. It makes assumptions that are not actually supported by what I said, and then knocks those assumptions down.
mangamuscle: That as no stawman, I answered to what you said, you are calling strawman as a surefiure way to undermine any arguments you have no answer to.
My argument was this: "GOG's business was built on selling games that had been on sale for *decades*. The long tail works as a selling strategy."

You responded with a completely irrelevant statement, that also contains sheer guessing: "You seem to think that business do not need to adapt to grow, if gog had not included new games and indies and kept selling just oldies they would NOT have seen the increase in sales reported in this thread."

Instead of responding to my argument, you pretended that my argument was 'businesses don't need to grow' and responded to that red herring / strawman. You also tried to use a sheer, unsupported assumption as fact.

TL:DR Go read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoratio_elenchi#Red_herring and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies.
Post edited February 25, 2014 by HGiles
groze: To be fair, they charge €39.99 in my game page and specifically state above the pre-order button that «We'll bill the equivalent in USD: $54.99», so I don't think they're adopting the $1=€1 approach. Either that, or Age of Wonders III isn't one of the three AAA titles.
DukeNukemForever: They do, for the states it costs 39.99$. As far as I remember they can only bill you in dollars right now, which means you will pay the 55$ with the extra-fees and the exchange-rate of your bank, not the 40€.
I'm not making this up. I don't speak Economish nor Lawese, so I'm not getting into this discussion, but I'll leave a screenshot for you guys more in the know than me to analyse and scrutinize at your own leisure.

Happy complaining. :)
Attachments:
AoW III

55$

*MASSIVE FACEPALM*

-_-'
Post edited February 25, 2014 by phaolo
Sanjuro: So it's IP-based then I guess.
It sure looks like that. Just used a free vpn server and did get different prices.
mangamuscle: You seem to think that business do not need to adapt to grow, if gog had not included new games and indies and kept selling just oldies they would NOT have seen the increase in sales reported in this thread. Of course if you are so brilliant you can go and open your own gog store with said mercantile tenants, talk is cheap.
Trajhenkhetlive: Businesses might need change, but what change is needed to be profitable? How many came here to buy the AAA titles on pre-order? Not me. Probably not a lot of people buying from this site. Had GOG built themselves up like Steam it would be a different story. Since GOG built their business largely on people looking for oldies and didn't mind the indies showing up and buying those too as well as having DRM free installers, we have a different setup here for success. If they want to make exceptions to get AAA titles on the site that's fine but I think regionally pricing older games is very bad form and not finding a way to negotiate that it stays that way before going this route is also a bad idea (it's like revealing your hand in poker or trying to negotiate an athletes contract after saying "money is no object")
First and foremost, thanks for a sensible answer. IMO the people at GOG have sale statistics that made them come to the conclusion that this new policy is in the best interest of the company. As you say they might be wrong, but I do not believe this has been a well thought change, so far their biggest error was thinking there would not have been an uproar by a vocal minority, they probably focused too much in the number crunching/legal side of the policy change.
high rated
mangamuscle: You people insist in not looking at the BIG PICTURE, this is one of many more titles that would have never shown or shown too late (when most interested people have already bought it).
No, you're the one not looking at the big picture. As I've already said in this thread and another:

This will fatally undermine GOG's unique selling point. The reason GOG was able to become the second-biggest online games vendor in the world is that a large number (a minority, but a significant one) of gamers were so fed up with the unfair practices of its competitors such as Steam, particular DRM and international price discrimination, that they wouldn't buy from them or at least would much rather buy from GOG, and that number was and is growing - slowly, but still growing. By not letting their games be sold here because they insisted upon DRM and/or regional pricing, publishers were missing out on a large amount of money. The way for GOG to get them to release their games on consumer-friendly terms was to hold out, refuse to abandon their principles and wait for more and more publishers to get fed up with not being able to sell their games at all to a large and growing number of gamers, so they decided they'd rather sell them on terms they don't like (i.e. fair, ethical ones) than not at all.

Now GOG has made that much less likely to happen. You know that Regional Rip-Off video, the old "fair price" bit on the site banner, the old news announcement where GOG declares it will have failed if it ever abandons any of its principles including the "one world, one price" policy, and all the other embarrassing reminders that people keep posting in this thread? Well, we, the customers, aren't the only ones to remember all that - publishers do so too. And now they've seen that GOG is willing to abandon at least one of those hitherto inviolable principles. After this decision - even if GOG does attract more publishers and more games by allowing regional pricing - in future, if someone says, "You can sell this game, but only with [some sort of DRM, probably one of the less awful ones like a one-time verification - at least the first time]", and GOG says, "Never - DRM-free and that's not negotiable," do you think the publisher will take them seriously now that they've already given up on one 'core value'?
groze: I'm not making this up. I don't speak Economish nor Lawese, so I'm not getting into this discussion, but I'll leave a screenshot for you guys more in the know than me to analyse and scrutinize at your own leisure.

You think of this the wrong way around. In the US they only have to pay 39 _Dollar_ and we 39€ which is way more.
Post edited February 25, 2014 by Fakum12
groze: I'm not making this up. I don't speak Economish nor Lawese, so I'm not getting into this discussion, but I'll leave a screenshot for you guys more in the know than me to analyse and scrutinize at your own leisure.

Fakum12: You think of this the wrong way around. In the US they only have to pay 39 _Dollar_ and we 39€ which is way more.
I'm not thinking about anything, actually, I just posted a screenshot. I left this discussion a long time ago.