It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
HGiles: That's not exactly a boycott. I think it is the right reaction to this, though. Why buy something that's not attractive, or from a company that's not trustworthy?
Whether the game is good or not, is another question. That's totally irrelevant to the issue we're facing here.

And yeah, your second statement is spot on.
I wanted to try Monkey Island remakes, just to give an example here.

As those have never been available DRM-free, and for all practical purposes they are available on Steam only, I have decided to not buy them. To this date, Steam has not received a single cent from me. And neither did now defunct LucasArts, even though I have bought almost all of their old games.

They lost my business from the moment they put those games on sale.

And this coming from a Monkey Island fan, who owns several copies of the original (both PC and Amiga).
TheEnigmaticT: What stops people from going to pirate bay and getting everything for free forever?
Rolodzeo: You were.
That seems to have escaped GOG.com's notice.
graspee: They didn't even ease into this regional pricing with only a slight difference, they just came right out with a one dollar = one euro joke. And some people claimed their regional pricing would be fair haha. Like I said, the whole concept of regional pricing is unfair. Having said that though I didn't think their first item would be THIS unfair.
groze: To be fair, they charge €39.99 in my game page and specifically state above the pre-order button that «We'll bill the equivalent in USD: $54.99», so I don't think they're adopting the $1=€1 approach. Either that, or Age of Wonders III isn't one of the three AAA titles.
They do, for the states it costs 39.99$. As far as I remember they can only bill you in dollars right now, which means you will pay the 55$ with the extra-fees and the exchange-rate of your bank, not the 40€.
Post edited February 25, 2014 by DukeNukemForever
I'm temporarily changing my country over to the United States to test things out.
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: What stops people from going to pirate bay and getting everything for free forever?
Principle! See what i did there :P
haradan7: I suspect a lot of lurkers are doing the same, even if they don't post.
Pretty much what I have been doing so far. I didn't want to repeat the same concepts other already expressed, so I was just watching the debate unfold, I am certainly not happy about this at all.
I'm feeling all GOGmix-y about it.
Reaper9988: Principle! See what i did there :P
And trojan...
IAmSinistar: I'm feeling all GOGmix-y about it.
You should add witcher 2.
nansounet: And trojan...
Well and that.
HGiles: You keep bringing these strawmen into the discussion.

Seriously. Go educate yourself on how different business models work, read through the thread, and actually make a relevant comment. I look forward to talking with you when you know what you're talking about.
mangamuscle: Strawmen where? if you do not have anything worthy to read as a reply then just dont.
OK, obviously the ignorance goes deeper than I thought. Or maybe we're having translation issues.

'Strawman' is a term used to describe when a person makes assumptions about the person their arguing with (sets up a straw man) and then proceeds to knock down the assumptions they've made, but doesn't actually respond to the person they're arguing with.

Your statement of "You seem to think that business do not need to adapt to grow, if gog had not included new games and indies and kept selling just oldies they would NOT have seen the increase in sales reported in this thread." is a strawman argument. It makes assumptions that are not actually supported by what I said, and then knocks those assumptions down.
IAmSinistar: I'm feeling all GOGmix-y about it.
graspee: You should add witcher 2.
Witcher 2 no longer has regional pricing. Not for me, anyway. It used to be 26$, but now it's 20$.
TeT is going to have a hard time living that quote down.
Post edited February 25, 2014 by HGiles
But that isn't the industry standard!
HGiles: Kid, we've been over this a bazillion times on GOG before. GOG's business was built on selling games that had been on sale for *decades*. The long tail works as a selling strategy. Go educate yourself.
mangamuscle: You seem to think that business do not need to adapt to grow, if gog had not included new games and indies and kept selling just oldies they would NOT have seen the increase in sales reported in this thread. Of course if you are so brilliant you can go and open your own gog store with said mercantile tenants, talk is cheap.
Businesses might need change, but what change is needed to be profitable? How many came here to buy the AAA titles on pre-order? Not me. Probably not a lot of people buying from this site. Had GOG built themselves up like Steam it would be a different story. Since GOG built their business largely on people looking for oldies and didn't mind the indies showing up and buying those too as well as having DRM free installers, we have a different setup here for success. If they want to make exceptions to get AAA titles on the site that's fine but I think regionally pricing older games is very bad form and not finding a way to negotiate that it stays that way before going this route is also a bad idea (it's like revealing your hand in poker or trying to negotiate an athletes contract after saying "money is no object")