It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
VoxDeNube: ...'GoG' is out there to make money and make DRM-Free a common practice in video-game industry and market. If it means more great DRM-Free games, regional pricing is fair enough. ...
I was nodding the whole time I read your post until this little paragraph. I wondered, are they here for the money or for their mission? And I would actually say that both things, DRM-free games and worldwide equal pricing are virtues of its own. Somehow it's sad to see them being played out against each other. Surely DRM free might be a bit more important (wait until you see the prices for your region though), but one could still wish for both.
Chacranajxy: ... They're still getting a DRM-free product with bonuses and a few niceties like GOG's customer service. ...
gozer: But for how long?

Fair prices. Flat prices. Worldwide.

That was one of the main themes of GOG ... they even made a promotional video about that ... [url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos[/url]

So, today they announced that in order to have more bussiness they are ready to throw away one of the "core principles of GOG". Not exactly something that would make their customers happy. And one has to wonder, if they were willing to throw away this core principle, why wouldn't they throw away the rest too? Should we start backing up our games in case they decide adding DRM would be good idea?
As I said a few posts up, abandoning flat pricing suggests, more than anything else, that they can't abandon DRM-free. The DRM-free policy is the one major advantage they have that sets them apart from the competition. They get rid of that, and *poof* -- it's game over for GOG. They know this. Even the most incompetent businessman would know that they can't get rid of their one remaining unique selling proposition and hope to be successful.

And, before anyone tries to sneak in a snarky comment, GOG, even with their occasional baubles, is not particularly incompetent. They wouldn't have gotten this far trying to push their policies otherwise.
VoxDeNube: It's sad really how many people are bashing 'GoG' for this one.

I understand that worldwide fair prices is something that made 'GoG' even better for some users. I'm not really a rich man's son myself, I have just enough resources to make it through and even afford a little bit of extras sometimes.

It is sad that in some regions average wage is a lot more higher and things costs a lot less than in other regions. Common people are being robbed legally everyday on almost every step, that's a fact. There is no such thing as equality in this world, that's a fact. Even from the beginning, mother nature didn't make people equal, some are born with physical problems for example, which often steals a chance of happy life away from them, that's a fact. While other's being blessed with something else which makes them superior to other's, that's a fact. People are being oppressed all over the world, in many different way's. No one is equal, that's a fact. That's how this world goes, toughen up, because luckily for most of you it's just such a worthless thing as money in this matter. You can buy sleeping pills, but you can't buy sleep.

DRM-Free is an extra nowadays, 'GoG' is out there to make money and make DRM-Free a common practice in video-game industry and market. If it means more great DRM-Free games, regional pricing is fair enough.

You can't really put a price on those few happy moments I had playing games I bought from your web-site. From childhood memories to new amazing experiences.

For me 'GoG', you always will be the best. Thank you that you are.
Nope i don't see DRM free as a excuse for regional pricing. And i made my comment on the backer forum of divinity original sin:

"Please Larian, don't stand for regional pricing with a product i backed.
1€ ~ 1.30$ = 30%
VAT's in germany = 19%
thats a difference of 11% which we useally pay more cause of "regional pricing" cause basically it alway's leads to a 1$=1€ translation for game prices.
Please stop this nonesens."

Just stop selling your brand and reputation for a few AAA titles. Like humble bundle gog has (had?) my trust for treating me fair as a customer. Like humble bundle they drop one of this fairness points. It's the first step. What will they drop next if a publisher or game dev comes around and ask them ... oh thats not how we wanna sell our product ?

If they don't wanna sell the product with the brand gog they should stay with other stores. People fought for gog releases on kickstarter. Exactly those people got now screwed. (sacasm ... thanx ....)
high rated
yoyolll: ... This is how competition works. If GoG loses their place in this niche, someone else will take it. ...
Trilarion: But the million dollar question is, who will this be? Maybe this time the niche stays empty.
Just how capitalism works.

1. New company starts with great ideas, usually geared towards empowering the consumer
2. People support it (even if it is a little more expensive)
3. Company realizes they can make more money following a business model similar to competitors
4. Promises? Values? Customers? Fuck that, we're making money
5. There is a pseudo-monopoly where the niche is empty cause everyone loves money and consumers have no alternative
6. New company starts with great ideas, usually geared towards empowering the consumer

Like I said, GoG is still far from this, regional pricing is only a small step in the wrong direction.

There are plenty of exceptions, and maybe GoG will be one of them, but in most cases this is just the way it works.

That's capitalism, bitch :D
VoxDeNube: ...'GoG' is out there to make money and make DRM-Free a common practice in video-game industry and market. If it means more great DRM-Free games, regional pricing is fair enough. ...
Trilarion: I was nodding the whole time I read your post until this little paragraph. I wondered, are they here for the money or for their mission? And I would actually say that both things, DRM-free games and worldwide equal pricing are virtues of its own. Somehow it's sad to see them being played out against each other. Surely DRM free might be a bit more important (wait until you see the prices for your region though), but one could still wish for both.
They make money by selling only DRM-Free games, it's a business. You can't really do one without the other. To keep the business you have to adapt, sometimes making hard decisions to survive and to try being something more than you are right now.

As is for the prices, money is the least important thing this life can steal away from me. Wouldn't it be good to wish ourselves away? Dreams are dreams, in reality it's different.

They are here to make money, we are here to buy.

It's not like all of the games will have regional pricing anyways, just some.
VoxDeNube: It's sad really how many people are bashing 'GoG' for this one.

I understand that worldwide fair prices is something that made 'GoG' even better for some users. I'm not really a rich man's son myself, I have just enough resources to make it through and even afford a little bit of extras sometimes.

It is sad that in some regions average wage is a lot more higher and things costs a lot less than in other regions. Common people are being robbed legally everyday on almost every step, that's a fact. There is no such thing as equality in this world, that's a fact. Even from the beginning, mother nature didn't make people equal, some are born with physical problems for example, which often steals a chance of happy life away from them, that's a fact. While other's being blessed with something else which makes them superior to other's, that's a fact. People are being oppressed all over the world, in many different way's. No one is equal, that's a fact. That's how this world goes, toughen up, because luckily for most of you it's just such a worthless thing as money in this matter. You can buy sleeping pills, but you can't buy sleep.

DRM-Free is an extra nowadays, 'GoG' is out there to make money and make DRM-Free a common practice in video-game industry and market. If it means more great DRM-Free games, regional pricing is fair enough.

You can't really put a price on those few happy moments I had playing games I bought from your web-site. From childhood memories to new amazing experiences.

For me 'GoG', you always will be the best. Thank you that you are.
unknown78: Nope i don't see DRM free as a excuse for regional pricing. And i made my comment on the backer forum of divinity original sin:

1€ ~ 1.30$ = 30%
VAT's in germany = 19%
thats a difference of 11% which we useally pay more cause of "regional pricing" cause basically it alway's leads to a 1$=1€ translation for game prices.

Just stop selling your brand and reputation for a few AAA titles. Like humble bundle gog has (had?) my trust for treating me fair as a customer. Like humble bundle they drop one of this fairness points. It's the first step. What will they drop next if a publisher or game dev comes around and ask them ... oh thats not how we wanna sell our product ?

If they don't wanna sell the product with the brand gog they should stay with other stores. People fought for gog releases on kickstarter. Exactly those people got now screwed. (sacasm ... thanx ....)
When DRM-Free is an extra, it is fair enough. It's better to pay a little bit more and have a DRM-Free game than not having a game at all. It's not like it will cost more than example on 'Steam'.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by VoxDeNube
Trilarion: I was nodding the whole time I read your post until this little paragraph. I wondered, are they here for the money or for their mission? And I would actually say that both things, DRM-free games and worldwide equal pricing are virtues of its own. Somehow it's sad to see them being played out against each other. Surely DRM free might be a bit more important (wait until you see the prices for your region though), but one could still wish for both.
VoxDeNube: They make money by selling only DRM-Free games, it's a business. You can't really do one without the other. To keep the business you have to adapt, sometimes making hard decisions to survive and to try being something more than you are right now.

As is for the prices, money is the least important thing this life can steal away from me. Wouldn't it be good to wish ourselves away? Dreams are dreams, in reality it's different.

unknown78: Nope i don't see DRM free as a excuse for regional pricing. And i made my comment on the backer forum of divinity original sin:

1€ ~ 1.30$ = 30%
VAT's in germany = 19%

VoxDeNube: When DRM-Free is an extra, it is fair enough. It's better to pay a little bit more and have a DRM-Free game than not having a game at all. It's not like it will cost more than example on 'Steam'.
The DRM is as much extra as it is for an american guy. Why should i pay on top what the american guy pay another 11% or depending on the store the full 30%+19%vats cause not all stores include german vat's ???

Thats exactly what they want you to believe ... and what exactly is wrong. You don't pay more for drm free cause it can be offered more cheap everywhere else ): .. you pay more cause you are living in europe / UK or Australia....

(edited added other lands where it is useally the same or more extrem)
Post edited February 24, 2014 by unknown78
VoxDeNube: They make money by selling only DRM-Free games, it's a business. You can't really do one without the other. To keep the business you have to adapt, sometimes making hard decisions to survive and to try being something more than you are right now.

When DRM-Free is an extra, it is fair enough. It's better to pay a little bit more and have a DRM-Free game than not having a game at all. It's not like it will cost more than example on 'Steam'.
unknown78: The DRM is as much extra as it is for an american guy. Why should i pay on top what the american guy pay another 11% or depending on the store the full 30%+19%vats cause not all stores include german vat's ???

Thats exactly what they want you to believe ... and what exactly is wrong. You don't pay more for drm free cause it can be offered more cheap everywhere else) .. you pay more cause you are living in europe....
I agree, it is not fair, but that's already politics and economics. Talking here about that won't change anything, so it doesn't really matter in the end. Life isn't fair, that's how it is.
I honestly think people are overreacting on this,

This doesn't mean that every other game will be regional priced. GOG isn't trying to deviate from their original intentions, They may have went back from their word a step or two but doesn't mean they'll become "Just another store".

I don't like regional pricing, but am I grateful that they want to bring more AAA games DRM Free? I am.

I'm curious to see if those games will be DRM'ed or not on Steam. Only time will tell.
unknown78: The DRM is as much extra as it is for an american guy. Why should i pay on top what the american guy pay another 11% or depending on the store the full 30%+19%vats cause not all stores include german vat's ???

Thats exactly what they want you to believe ... and what exactly is wrong. You don't pay more for drm free cause it can be offered more cheap everywhere else) .. you pay more cause you are living in europe....
VoxDeNube: I agree, it is not fair, but that's already politics and economics. Talking here about that won't change anything, so it doesn't really matter in the end. Life isn't fair, that's how it is.
If thats the stand of GOG i will take the same stand ... Life isn't fair -> heads over to https://www.gameolith.com/news/2014/2/21/introducing-gameolith-fair-price/ ... it sucks doesn't it? And only support fair prices.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by unknown78
RABBLERABBLERABBLERABBLERABBLE, GOG!!!! OMG!

(Actually, I'm just going to wait and see what the pay off is before I fly off the handle. Especially, if they're giving away free games and stuff to help offset the increased expense for peoples in Euroland.)
Bloodygoodgames: LOL, don't forget the people who run GOG are the same people who thought shutting down the website and telling their customers that the service was being closed was a "good marketing strategy" to help launch a new version of the site.

I'd say, if the latest news is anything to go by, they haven't learned much :)
+1
I really do wonder how some people manage to get to a position where their ideas are taken seriously.
I always think I have good ideas, but not even the guinea-pigs stick about to listen to me. :(

Elmofongo: Well that is what Jim Sterling said in one of his vids.
Anyone e-mailed him yet? He is always pointing out where things are wrong and unjust for the consumer, and has even pushed the idea of single pricing before IIRC.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by 011284mm

VoxDeNube: I agree, it is not fair, but that's already politics and economics. Talking here about that won't change anything, so it doesn't really matter in the end. Life isn't fair, that's how it is.
Not totally true.
Some of the consumer laws have come out as a result of people talking.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Lodium
Ganni1987: I honestly think people are overreacting on this,

This doesn't mean that every other game will be regional priced. GOG isn't trying to deviate from their original intentions, They may have went back from their word a step or two but doesn't mean they'll become "Just another store".

I don't like regional pricing, but am I grateful that they want to bring more AAA games DRM Free? I am.

I'm curious to see if those games will be DRM'ed or not on Steam. Only time will tell.
I realy don't overact ... remember when vavle introduced DRM. (is for the best of the customers)..... Basically thats why a side like GOG could start.

It's so sad that so many people have given up to fight for what they believe in. But i totally can understand it's more relaxing this way ... isn't it ?
unknown78: If thats the stand of GOG i will take the same stand ... Life isn't fair -> heads over to https://www.gameolith.com/news/2014/2/21/introducing-gameolith-fair-price/ ... it sucks doesn't it? And only support fair prices.
The timing of that scheme amuses me greatly. :D
unknown78: If thats the stand of GOG i will take the same stand ... Life isn't fair -> heads over to https://www.gameolith.com/news/2014/2/21/introducing-gameolith-fair-price/ ... it sucks doesn't it?
It's a dull point of view, but true. > If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's a video game, it's an extra. For example, some people don't even get warm water, or any water. I suggest you think over a little bit about simple things that matter and be grateful for what you have.
Lodium: Not totally true.
Some of the consumer laws have come out as a result of people talking.
Yes, also sometimes people get a little hole in their head for talking. We both know that things are more complicated in this world, so don't even start about 'rights' and wrongs.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by VoxDeNube