It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Bottom line for me: If gog will ram this pricing lunacy (for only an handfull of greedy publishers filth) through my throat; no more gog for me....And I advise other customers to do the same.....
LosT_SouL_VL: Bottom line for me: If gog will ram this pricing lunacy (for only an handfull of greedy publishers filth) through my throat; no more gog for me....And I advise other customers to do the same.....
And if no more gog for you, may I ask where you'll buy your games from?
From "alternate channels"
low rated
Yes! Regional pricing! Keep those eurofags in their places!!
LosT_SouL_VL: Bottom line for me: If gog will ram this pricing lunacy (for only an handfull of greedy publishers filth) through my throat; no more gog for me....And I advise other customers to do the same.....
Ganni1987: And if no more gog for you, may I ask where you'll buy your games from?
This is how competition works. If GoG loses their place in this niche, someone else will take it.

And on the other side of things, GoG's entire marketing has rested on DRM free, no strings attached, no bullshit, fair sale video games. If they get rid of that, then what's to stop people from buying games from steam or amazon? No difference. Obviously it hasn't come that far yet, but this is just one step in that direction.
Are there any good numbers out there for the percentage of global web retailers that use one-world pricing versus regional pricing?
HGiles: Not needing to pay shipping or staff warehouses cuts down on some costs, but by no means all of them.
Where did I say all of them?

HGiles: Doing any business is much, much more than just shipping things.
International business becomes much worse because of various legal jurisdictions and needing to comply with multiple legal systems that are often conflicting or contradictory.
Chacranajxy: legal issues suck.
And in the case of a storefront like GOG, I imagine the issues are about as bad as you get
Im looking at gog storefront and I see seven hundred games all selling legally with one worldwide price and without drm. So if it's possible for 700 games, why not for more?
Only greed drives regional pricing. I'm not saying that all is fine and dandy from a legally jurisdictions point of view but for sure is not that hell that you're trying to picture. Best proof for that? 700 games and rising.
Ganni1987: And if no more gog for you, may I ask where you'll buy your games from?
yoyolll: This is how competition works. If GoG loses their place in this niche, someone else will take it.

And on the other side of things, GoG's entire marketing has rested on DRM free, no strings attached, no bullshit, fair sale video games. If they get rid of that, then what's to stop people from buying games from steam or amazon? No difference. Obviously it hasn't come that far yet, but this is just one step in that direction.
I'm even affraid that this pricing lunacy is a step on the way to something that sounds like "GoGplay"....
Post edited February 24, 2014 by LosT_SouL_VL
HGiles: Not needing to pay shipping or staff warehouses cuts down on some costs, but by no means all of them.
mobutu: Where did I say all of them?

HGiles: Doing any business is much, much more than just shipping things.
International business becomes much worse because of various legal jurisdictions and needing to comply with multiple legal systems that are often conflicting or contradictory.
mobutu:
Chacranajxy: legal issues suck.
And in the case of a storefront like GOG, I imagine the issues are about as bad as you get
mobutu: Im looking at gog storefront and I see seven hundred games all selling legally with one worldwide price and without drm. So if it's possible for 700 games, why not for more?
Only greed drives regional pricing. I'm not saying that all is fine and dandy from a legally jurisdictions point of view but for sure is not that hell that you're trying to picture. Best proof for that? 700 games and rising.
Well, I'm looking at Steam's storefront, and I see more than 3000 games. Clearly, there's a gap in what GOG's able to offer with their policies as they are. Will ditching the "no regional pricing" policy get them to 3000? No, probably not... but I imagine it'll get them a hell of a lot closer, and it'll probably allow them to get a lot of the games from the last 5-10 years that are sorely missing from the store. I'm not saying that region pricing isn't something that's being abused, all I'm saying is that it is an obstacle, legally.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Chacranajxy
haleisback: So a severed male torso would be fine? if so then your sexist...
I think a severed phallus would be a more 'appropriate' equivalent in taste. ;)

Lodium: Hope you dont drag it too far though.
Some females dont want sexy woman at all in games.
I do agree that there is too much sexism in games, but i also think women and men if your the opposite sex shoud be allowed to be seen as sexy.
If that made any sense.
I don't think that sexiness is actually a problem for women (and men voicing similar criticisms), it's more about the imbalance, the one-sided perspective that's mostly catering to male gamers, and also with a very clichéd and limited idea of what is sexy, by trying to appeal to the most trivial common denominator: "Men like tits and ass, duh! So let's focus on these first, and then maybe attach a shallow character to it (although not in this case)". ;)
rodrolliv: 2-I've said this before, I'll say it again: if a game that is being released on Steam is also coming to GOG, PUT IT ON THE COMING SOON SECTION. Even if the release date is not final yet. If you have the agreement with the publisher to release it, put it there. Day one release should be there. Seriously, use that section.
That would be a good idea. I don't know how many times I've bought a game on Steam only to find out it was getting a GOG release at the same time.

mobutu: what costs for digital distribution?

That is implied, goes without saying. Dont tell me gog didnt knew that, they knew we wanted games with customerLove
HGiles: You're kidding, right? Doing any business is much, much more than just shipping things. International business becomes much worse because of various legal jurisdictions and needing to comply with multiple legal systems that are often conflicting or contradictory. Not needing to pay shipping or staff warehouses cuts down on some costs, but by no means all of them.

It's really, really easy for a business to misunderstand the market signals they're getting. Your post makes me think you haven't worked for very long, if at all, so it may be hard to understand that. But when your customers don't mention something, it's easy to think they don't value it.
I'm hoping this whole situation is like when President Ronald Reagan said, "If you got seventy-five or eighty percent of what you were asking for, I say, you take it and fight for the rest later.” I would like to believe that GOG traded flat pricing for DRM-free and will return to the pricing models fight when it has a victory on DRM.

The thing that worries me is people dropping GOG. GOG has been able to get the concessions it has gotten because of the size and dedication of its community. If people move over to other stores with DRM or leave gaming, then GOG will shrink and Steam will grow leading to a worse bargaining position for GOG and PC gaming worse off.
mobutu: Im looking at gog storefront and I see seven hundred games all selling legally with one worldwide price and without drm. So if it's possible for 700 games, why not for more?
Perhaps because of those 700 games, none of them are big titles from major publishers that were released here at launch simultaneously with other digital stores and physical retail releases worldwide? That they're mostly older games (that even the publishers themselves probably care little about) and indie titles that only have digital releases?

As to why it's extremely difficult for such big releases to get worldwide pricing, see here
IAmSinistar: Are there any good numbers out there for the percentage of global web retailers that use one-world pricing versus regional pricing?
Right there is no a single store known to me that offers flat prices. Few weeks ago Green Man Gaming switched to region based prices and few days ago Humble Store did the same.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Aver
Can we please stop with all the "sexist" argument stuff. It's off topic and annoying. Make a new thread.
rodrolliv: 2-I've said this before, I'll say it again: if a game that is being released on Steam is also coming to GOG, PUT IT ON THE COMING SOON SECTION. Even if the release date is not final yet. If you have the agreement with the publisher to release it, put it there. Day one release should be there. Seriously, use that section.
kwerboom: That would be a good idea. I don't know how many times I've bought a game on Steam only to find out it was getting a GOG release at the same time.

HGiles: You're kidding, right? Doing any business is much, much more than just shipping things. International business becomes much worse because of various legal jurisdictions and needing to comply with multiple legal systems that are often conflicting or contradictory. Not needing to pay shipping or staff warehouses cuts down on some costs, but by no means all of them.

It's really, really easy for a business to misunderstand the market signals they're getting. Your post makes me think you haven't worked for very long, if at all, so it may be hard to understand that. But when your customers don't mention something, it's easy to think they don't value it.
kwerboom: I'm hoping this whole situation is like when President Ronald Reagan said, "If you got seventy-five or eighty percent of what you were asking for, I say, you take it and fight for the rest later.” I would like to believe that GOG traded flat pricing for DRM-free and will return to the pricing models fight when it has a victory on DRM.

The thing that worries me is people dropping GOG. GOG has been able to get the concessions it has gotten because of the size and dedication of its community. If people move over to other stores with DRM or leave gaming, then GOG will shrink and Steam will grow leading to a worse bargaining position for GOG and PC gaming worse off.
That worries me as well. GOG is dropping one of the things that makes it unique. We'll have to see if the tradeoff is worth it.