It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Damn, i have deleted a link to a good & cheap VPN/Proxy site month ago, what a shame, will google it.t :)
I don\t understand why some people are upset about regional pricing. When I buy a product I weigh up price for me and subjective product value. I don't say "It's a bargin because US citizens pay more for it" or "It's overpriced because Canadians pay 75% less".

Concerning this specific situation I guess regional pricing will be introduced only on new, AAA titles - so I don't care ...On the other hand if they would apply it to the incoming LA's classic titles - I wouldn't care even less :-)
TheEnigmaticT: We honestly don't know what's going to happen with our classic games (who knows what happens when lawyers get involved?)
IAmSinistar: Apology for the very select quoting, and I hope I'm not reading too much into this out of context. But does this mean that lawyers are involved right now? Is GOG's whole business model under scrutiny and you are being pressured to implement these broad changes in an extended version of what happened during The Witcher 2?

I can understand if you can't comment on this. Speech is to lawyers what sunlight is to vampires.
In the business world, lawyers are always involved. :)
hedwards: But, isn't Poland in the EU?
For better or worse (worse, like outlawing smoked meat... measuring curve of a banana... making snails into fishes) it is.
high rated
Let’s see how this plays out before condemnation ensues, for the sky is not yet falling...

It seems regional pricing is a concession GoG has to make in order to bring a larger selection of Titles to their (our) catalog. While I don’t like the idea, I support the decision, if that is what it takes to get the big Publishers and Developers to be more comfortable with distributing DRM free releases.

Overall, I see this as a positive, expanding DRM free is important for all digital distribution, not just for Gaming. It now seems more a possibility that our favorite Steam games and Valve exclusive Titles might find their way into being released on GoG sooner rather than later. Perhaps Ubisoft might free some UPLay Titles, and those GFWL Titles floating about could land here as well. The Door is open, let's see what the cat drags in.

One thing Team GoG should stand firm on, regardless of Regional restrictions, is our community tradition, our ability to gift games to other users. Publishers have to be supportive of gifting without restrictions, which will help to ease the tensions of pricing. After all, a sale is a sale, and GoG is GoG.

I suppose it’s also time to modernize the Forums as well Team GoG, be creative and try to keep a nostalgic feel, but let’s move on from this antiquated system in 2014. Team GoG..? nudge, nudge...
HypersomniacLive: Honest question - wouldn't that also apply to US users regarding Sales Taxes?
hedwards: I doubt that GOG collects and remits sales tax to the US.But, isn't Poland in the EU?
For that matter, so is the Republic of Cyprus.
hedwards: Except that you're ignoring the fact that GOG has been slipping for some time now and there's no sign that they're going to stop. Apart from the DRM-free core value, they've given up pretty much all the other ones.
Vestin: Let me give you an example, OK? Not GOG-related, but principle-related.
Imagine two couples where, in a moment of disagreement, people decide to stop talking to each other. In the first couple (after, say, a month) a few words suddenly get exchanged, people decide "Well, fuck - so much for not talking to each other" and they live happily ever after. In the second couple, after a similar time, a few words get exchanged... and that's it. They still avoid talking to each other, and even if a word or two slip - nothing much follows.

Principles are not an all-or-nothing sort of deal. That's the easiest sort to shatter. That's how we get the "Paragon always rebels" trope - if you bring things to their very extreme, they usually become absurd and unwieldy. If you think in absolutes, you discard your beliefs after a single failing - "I can't claim to HAVE ALWAYS, so it doesn't matter". That's AS SILLY AS IT SOUNDS.

I'm not exactly happy with regional pricing, but if that's what it takes to have some day-one DRM-free non-indie releases, then it may be worth the trade... MAY.
Let's be a bit more cynical here, shall we? Let's see if this benefits us more than it annoys us.
QFT.

Regional pricing is a huge pain. But it's not the end of the world. I'm concerned, but so long as it's new AAA releases that's understandable for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes being flexible is key. GOG seems to be trying to strike the best balance they can. I'm willing to take a wait and see approach.
woosad: Damn, i have deleted a link to a good & cheap VPN/Proxy site month ago, what a shame, will google it.t :)
I think you can benefit from regional pricing :) Non-Euro EU countries will probably get the biggest hit.
TheEnigmaticT: In the business world, lawyers are always involved. :)
Fair enough. Otherwise it'd be like black magic without the devils. :)

EDIT: And frankly I'm surprised that GOG, or any web company, has been able to stick with one-world pricing for this long. Usually anywhere there is an extra penny to be squeezed out of folks, economists and legislators are there.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by IAmSinistar
Dunno what to think.

I won't be affected since I'm US, and for some reason game companies seem to hate people not from the US by charging them buckets more in money (presumably to promote piracy?).

I guess I'll have to see how it's implemented, but will this be a thing that's kept exclusive the AAA giga-company releases, or will it spread to everything else?
stoicsentry: Why can't we keep it "one fair price" all around the world and then just charge the Europeans and Australians the taxes they're supposed to pay? I think that would still be cheaper for them.
HypersomniacLive: Honest question - wouldn't that also apply to US users regarding Sales Taxes?
I'm not sure, honestly. I can't remember ever paying taxes (or being told that a company was paying taxes for me) on digital goods. The U.S. doesn't have a VAT or a federal sales tax so that's different. There are some smaller state and local sales taxes but apparently they aren't applicable.
IAmSinistar: As someone in the States I'm interested in how regional pricing will affect gifting. Will I have to restructure my giveaways in order to buy the right region version for the winner? And how the heck will gifting keys work, will they be tied to regions as well?
That's a superb question. Surely all this bookkeeping who is in which region and what were the prices there must have a meaning.

I would also recommend to have sales at different times and for different discounts in each region. Maybe even releases at different times for different regions. And different languages. Someone from the US surely doesn't need to pay for Italian translation.
ShadowWulfe: Dunno what to think.

I won't be affected since I'm US, and for some reason game companies seem to hate people not from the US by charging them buckets more in money (presumably to promote piracy?).

I guess I'll have to see how it's implemented, but will this be a thing that's kept exclusive the AAA giga-company releases, or will it spread to everything else?
TeT said that so far it's only 3 games.

Logically, all the games already here have their pricing structure locked into the contract. We can't know when those contracts come up for renegotiation, but it's probably not any time soon.
Also I'm sorry because I think I misspoke. The way I understand VAT, it's supposed to be included in the price and not passed on to the consumer. Though we all know that it comes back to the consumer in the end.
Given the Risen 1&2 deal plus the fact that Risen3 was just announced in a German mag, I'm betting that Risen 3 is one of the pre-orders. Too much of a coincidence otherwise.