It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
crazy_dave: Those are not unreasonable.
Ichwillnichtmehr: Living in Germany, I would pay 37,5% more for D:OS over US price.

UK would be 25% over US price.

Wasteland 2 is about equal though.
You Are WRONG! it's NOT AUD $59.99 it's USD we Aussies pay to them in United States Dollars it works out that it costs us in Australia $66.90 plus with the GST that none of us ever wanted add 50% $66.90 that is $33.45 so $66.90 + $33.45 = $100.35

So what's your Form, WE ARE THE ONES MOST AFFECTED! plus our games are MUCH MUCH MORE CENSORED then yours! because our tittywank Censorshit board has problems with DRUGS and TITTIES and anything that looks like it might lead to FUCKING! and PUSSIES! we get double shafted! understand now!
Post edited February 24, 2014 by fr33kSh0w2012
OldFatGuy: Past behavior is a valid indicator of future acts
It's not just that gog abandoning the core principle of one world - fair price makes it more likely they will abandon drm-free in future, it's that publishers will see gog capitulating on the regional pricing and push them harder to abandon drm-free in the future.

Gog words this embracing of regional pricing as if it's something that's out of their hands, which has lead to many people claiming gog would have to have changed in this way or become stagnant and die. It's very easy therefore to see exactly the same thing happen with drm-free.
Ichwillnichtmehr: Living in Germany, I would pay 37,5% more for D:OS over US price.

fr33kSh0w2012: You Are WRONG! it's NOT AUD $59.99 it's USD we Aussies pay to them in United States Dollars it works out that it costs us in Australia $66.90 plus with the GST that none of us ever wanted add 50% $66.90 that is $33.45 so $66.90 + $33.45 = $100.35
Thanks for the correction. Forgot about that LOL.

fr33kSh0w2012: You Are WRONG! it's NOT AUD $59.99 it's USD we Aussies pay to them in United States Dollars it works out that it costs us in Australia $66.90 plus with the GST that none of us ever wanted add 50% $66.90 that is $33.45 so $66.90 + $33.45 = $100.35

So what's your Form, WE ARE THE ONES MOST AFFECTED! plus our games are MUCH MUCH MORE CENSORED then yours! because our tittywank Censorshit board has problems with DRUGS and TITTIES and anything that looks like it might lead to FUCKING! and PUSSIES! we get double shafted! understand now!
I'm not the one who wrote "Those are not unreasonable."(If that is what all the capslock is about)

I was simply talking from my perspective as a German, 37.5% more $ vs. € on D:OS, about equal $ vs. € on Wasteland 2.

I don't really know about Australian currency/taxes/etc., so I didn't comment on that.

I wasn't trying to make light of your situation, which by your calculation, is 66% more USD vs. AUD, is even more severe.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Ichwillnichtmehr
OldFatGuy: I didn't read all of this slippery slope stuff, but want to comment because a lot of folks say or hear that "the slippery slope is a logical fallacy" and assume that means that one can never connect the dots, and that's absolutely untrue.

If one step may lead to another, the fallacy part of the slippery slope fallacy is to suggest it WILL happen. That is a fallacy. But it's not a fallacy to say one step MAY be followed by this other step, but it's not absolutely certain it will.

I assume this discussion is based on (again I didn't read it sorry) the "Since gog ended one world one price, DRM free will end."

Said like that, it is indeed a fallacy. However, there is nothing logically wrong in saying "Because gog compromised once on a core value, it does mean future compromises are possible and more likely."

Past behavior is a valid indicator of future acts, and we fairly use that all the time. In our jobs, in our relationships, etc. If a person lies once, for example, it is indeed fair to suggest that may lie again, because they've shown a willingness to do it. gog has now shown a willingness to break a core value, to go to the trouble of changing their main page and even trying to hide it on youtube. It is indeed absolutely a fair indicator that the chances of them someday ending their DRM-free policy is higher than it was before they showed a willingness to break a core value. But it's a fallacy to say they absolutely WILL break another core value.
Good point about past behaviour. Credibility of testimony is contextually relevant to the likelihood of someone lying, though totally irrelevant to the truth value of their statement. So, while GOG going back on its stated values does not imply anything about the future, it does make their future claims (staying DRM free) less likely to be true if those claims are similarly context-sensitive.

I think that everybody in the thread that is afraid of further changes is quite justified in that fear. The credibility of GOG's statements has been diminished, and the likelihood of future changes has now increased. That's not to say it's *likely* that more changes will come, just that it is more likely than it was a week ago. It's perfectly reasonable to be uncomfortable with that newly increased risk.

One thing that may or may not have been mentioned, is that GOG's decision to renege on it's previous statements has removed them from the "flat world pricing" market. It's almost a certainty that another company will seize upon this niche. Suitable alternatives may not exist right now, but GOG has proven there is a market for this ideal, and someone will rise to service that demand sooner rather than later.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by sivartwoa
sivartwoa: One thing that may or may not have been mentioned, is that GOG's decision to renege on it's previous statements has removed them from the "flat world pricing" market. It's almost a certainty that another company will seize upon this niche. Suitable alternatives may not exist right now, but GOG has proven there is a market for this ideal, and someone will rise to service that demand sooner rather than later.
Umm what makes u think any other new business trying the same thing will actually succeed AND grow??.As been mentioned GOG has been hamstrung by a slowing availability of older games & to get new ones AAA at launch etc drm free they needed to compromise on worldwide flat pricing. I give GOG for at least being upfront about this instead of people say "WTF!" when they slip it in quietly... (or try to)
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Niggles
I don't think a debate over what is a logical fallacy really matters. Whichever side is right or wrong, it doesn't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things. Think about it. GOG aren't going to base their decisions off of which side won the logical fallacy debate.

As far as the prospect of GOG abandoning DRM-free goes, I don't worry about it. It's not that I have this strong faith in GOG, it's just that I don't worry about it. I don't have control over the decision, so why worry about it? If I could control it then that would be different. I can voice an opinion and vote with my wallet in either direction, but I'm not going to sweat over something that's out of my hands.

I would rather see members brainstorming about what the 3 new launches will be, and the fact that brand new AAA games are coming, but given the current mood that's too much to expect.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by JohnnyDollar

I thought Australia now has a mature rating now, passed recently by your ratings board - censorship shouldn't be affecting you anymore. I haven't kept up with that, but did something happen to the mature rating or is it not being used?

Ich and I wrote what we wrote before the edit where he changed the price from AUD to USD. Which yes I agree, changes those prices and makes it a worse deal for AU and presumably NZ customers.

However, keep in mind, paying $59.99 USD is what you would get charged in the 1 world flat rate model with USD base GOG had. In other words, under GOG's flat-rate model, they would be selling the game to you for $66.90 AUD and to me for $59.99 USD.

What is this GST of 50%?
Post edited February 24, 2014 by crazy_dave
sivartwoa: That's not to say it's *likely* that more changes will come, just that it is more likely than it was a week ago. It's perfectly reasonable to be uncomfortable with that newly increased risk.
Exactly. It may be that before this weekend, it was reasonable to assign perhaps a 5% chance that one day gog would end their DRM-free policy (or whatever one may assign). After this weekend, it is entirely fair to adjust that to a higher number, but it doesn't mean that it should be over 50%, it just means it's a bigger number than it was. And it's entirely fair for people to be upset or uncomfortable with that new reality.

I think instead of arguing over the "slippery slope fallacy" a better debate would be over just how much of increase in likelihood it is. If some are arguing that now it's a 75% (by their choice of words or whatever) I would think it's completely fair for someone to respond "Wait a minute, you're overdoing it a bit. I'll agree the likelihood increased, but I disagree it increased that much" instead of this "the slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy, you don't know what you're talking about."
Post edited February 24, 2014 by OldFatGuy

crazy_dave: I thought Australia now has a mature rating now, passed recently by your ratings board - censorship shouldn't be affecting you anymore. I haven't kept up with that, but did something happen to the mature rating or is it not being used?

And I thought those prices aren't bad because that was before the edit where he changed the price from AUD to USD. Which yes I agree, changes those prices dramatically and makes it a worse deal for AU and presumably NZ customers (and Ich of Germany wrote his post before the edit too). However, keep in mind, paying $59.99 USD is what you would get charged in the 1 world flat rate model with USD base GOG had. What is this GST of 50%?
He was being sarcastic about 50% --- many here call it the 'Australia Tax' --- tax we get charged for just being in australia and buying a game here.
We do have a mature rating now - but that took longer than a change of government or two - basically there is a dude/dudette from each of the states who need to ALL agree to a new or change in ratings.ONE ****er didnt agree with the rest.... and declined and declined.....--- not sure what happened (cant remember details) but that got fixed and other issues cropped up......

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/01/14/australia-has-its-first-r18-video-game/

from what i remember changes are not retrospective - so games declined in the past need to reapply ie Left4Dead series or Manhunt...(i think)
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Niggles
JohnnyDollar: It could be ones that haven't been released to manufacturing yet, or ones that may be known about in some circles but not publicized, or ones where a release date has never been officially announced.

Just a thought. If no one here can come up with a few strong candidates after doing a little research, then what does that mean? GOG members are poor researchers? I haven't researched it, but I can't think of anything.
If we are talking about "Big" titles to be released in the next couple of months (GOG's words, not mine), I'm pretty sure the games would have to be among the ones revealed. Why? To be available for preorders on sites like Steam and GamersGate.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Grargar

Quoting the USD price and saying they are the same is completely correct. Your argument is all backwards. If we were changed AUD and they were the same number then the cost is different. If we are charged USD and a different number the cost is different. $1USD = $1USD. That is a pretty simple conversion.

GST is 10% and is NOT included. The seller (GOG/steam) pays tax in their country, you do not.

As for censorship, drugs are pretty much the only issue now.

All very well to rant, but try to at least get something correct.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by _Bruce_

_Bruce_: Quoting the USD price and saying they are the same is completely correct. Your argument is all backwards. If we were changed AUD and they were the same number then the cost is different. If we are charged USD and a different number the cost is different. $1USD = $1USD. That is a pretty simple conversion.

GST is 10% and is NOT included. The seller (GOG/steam) pays tax in their country, you do not.

As for censorship, drugs are pretty much the only issue now.

All very well to rant, but try to at least get something correct.
To be fair there was a change in the post : originally Niggles had $59.99 USD and $59.99 AUD for the US and Australian prices respectively.

But in other respects you are right, this is what GOG would've charged under the flat rate model for Australians with Australians being charged in USD.
crazy_dave: I thought Australia now has a mature rating now, passed recently by your ratings board - censorship shouldn't be affecting you anymore. I haven't kept up with that, but did something happen to the mature rating or is it not being used?

And I thought those prices aren't bad because that was before the edit where he changed the price from AUD to USD. Which yes I agree, changes those prices dramatically and makes it a worse deal for AU and presumably NZ customers (and Ich of Germany wrote his post before the edit too). However, keep in mind, paying $59.99 USD is what you would get charged in the 1 world flat rate model with USD base GOG had. What is this GST of 50%?
Niggles: He was being sarcastic about 50% --- many here call it the 'Australia Tax' --- tax we get charged for just being in australia and buying a game here.
We do have a mature rating now - but that took longer than a change of government or two - basically there is a dude/dudette from each of the states who need to ALL agree to a new or change in ratings.ONE ****er didnt agree with the rest.... and declined and declined.....--- not sure what happened (cant remember details) but that got fixed and other issues cropped up......

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/01/14/australia-has-its-first-r18-video-game/

from what i remember changes are not retrospective - so games declined in the past need to reapply ie Left4Dead series or Manhunt...(i think)
Got it

If I remember right, I think it can be retroactive, but it is on the onus of the publisher: if the publisher resubmits, they can get rerated, but few are going to spend the time and money to do that for old titles.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by crazy_dave

And I thought those prices aren't bad because that was before the edit where he changed the price from AUD to USD. Which yes I agree, changes those prices dramatically and makes it a really bad deal for AU and presumably NZ customers (and Ich of Germany wrote his post before the edit too). What is this GST of 50%?
yes it was first at 10% then that along with bracket creep and other hidden taxes and inflation jacked it up to double every three years so in reality we are paying since 2000 10% then in 2003 20% then in 2006 30% then in 2009 40% then 2012 50% and next in 2015 it will be 60% thats how the Goods and Serives tax works will someone else that gets the GST like New zealanders please tell crazy_dave that's how it works! oh and dave the R18+ hasn't fixed anything it's just made it harder for 15 year olds to get games that are actually targeted at their age group! we 18+ year olds still have to have like very censored games!

Here!

READ THIS!

Paul said on June 25, 2013
The Australian people wanted an R18+ rating for games because as adults, WE wanted to be able to view what content WE wanted, and play what games WE wanted (without restriction). The R18+ rating has obviously done nothing to change this, this is once again proof that the Classification board treats Australian adults like irresponsible children, and it proves that the R18+ rating is NOT working the way it should at all. The Classification board is headed by a bunch of dinosaurs who cannot grasp modern day themes and how they affect adults. This is a complete and utter outrage.

another said!

Yet adult Australians are not being allowed to access adult games. (As Paul's comment above said), this is another example of the IGEA treating us like children.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by fr33kSh0w2012
JohnnyDollar: It could be ones that haven't been released to manufacturing yet, or ones that may be known about in some circles but not publicized, or ones where a release date has never been officially announced.

Just a thought. If no one here can come up with a few strong candidates after doing a little research, then what does that mean? GOG members are poor researchers? I haven't researched it, but I can't think of anything.
Grargar: If we are talking about "Big" titles to be released in the next couple of months (GOG's words, not mine), I'm pretty sure the games would have to be among the ones revealed. Why? To make room for preorders on sites like Steam and GamersGate.
If they are indeed "big", then some of the gamers here that keep up with the latest news should come up with something I would think.

It depends on how far out they are, though. They said preorders and coming months. Is the first one a month + away with the others to following over the next several months?

The only explanation that I have if they are indeed these big AAA games, is that the tentative release dates are still a ways off. That still doesn't sound right. If we take the announcement literally, then we should have an idea or short list of a few of the big games in development that are projected to be released Q1-Q2 of this year. I haven't gotten around to researching myself.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by JohnnyDollar