It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Crassmaster: Yep, I agree. I don't blame people at all for being disappointed with seeing a customer friendly retail outlet make a move that, at least on the surface, seems to head in the opposite direction. But when people are talking about being betrayed and what not, that's where I think some users took 'customer friendly store' to be the same as 'my buddy'. I think that sometimes we want to see a store that we frequent as more than just someone we buy things from, when in fact they really aren't.
I've seen that before over the years, and I question whether or not it is naivety or ostentatiousness. Probably a little of both.
Gandos: It depends on the country. Here, PC games are dedicated the most shelf space.
Niggles: Im surprised. Most EB Game stores here have a 1.5m x 2-2.5 m high part of the wall for PC. Rest of the shop space is covered by console and portable crap. 80% of PC games on sale are budget/casual titles...
Here in the part of the US that I live, you can't even buy PC games at stores anymore. Walmart has a tiny section, but not even Best Buy or Gamestop sell them at all anymore.
For the record since Divinity Original Sin is being mentioned, steam stores have the following prices :

AUD 39.99 (correction - this is price in USD shown for Australian buyers)
US 39.99
GBP 29.99
Euro 39.99
Brazilian real 69.99
Ukraine 19.99

Wasteland 2 (bearing this mind this is more expensive tier they have put up on early access)

AUD 59.99 (correction - this is price in USD shown for Australian buyers)
USD 59.99
GBP 34.99
Euro 44.99
Brazilian real 99.99
Ukraine 29.99

Both cases AUD/USD identical. GBP pays more for DOS, Euro pays more for W2. Brazil and Ukraine pay lot less for either..... .....
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Niggles
GOG.com: ...regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe.
Aro: Same can be said about DRM.

Prices in Canada tend to be higher on average compared to the us though they tend to be reasonable. Please try to make prices standardized for everyone in the future.
I really don't get why you Canadian's even get charged more these days. They're about the same and they have been for quite a few years!
Niggles: For the record since Divinity Original Sin is being mentioned, steam stores have the following prices :

AUD 39.99
US 39.99
GBP 29.99
Euro 39.99
Brazilian real 69.99
Ukraine 19.99

Wasteland 2 (bearing this mind this is more expensive tier they have put up on early access)

AUD 59.99
USD 59.99
GBP 34.99
Euro 44.99
Brazilian real 99.99
Ukraine 29.99

Both cases AUD/USD identical. GBP pays more for DOS, Euro pays more for W2. Brazil and Ukraine pay lot less for either..... .....
Those are not unreasonable.

Regional Pricing done right is potentially more fair than even the flat rate price - however, it all too often is not.

So I will wait and see what GOG allows :)
Post edited February 23, 2014 by crazy_dave
Niggles: For the record since Divinity Original Sin is being mentioned, steam stores have the following prices :

AUD 39.99
US 39.99
GBP 29.99
Euro 39.99
Brazilian real 69.99
Ukraine 19.99

AUD 59.99
USD 59.99
GBP 34.99
Euro 44.99
Brazilian real 99.99
Ukraine 29.99

crazy_dave: Those are not unreasonable.
Its the other end of the scale im worried about. For me anything more than 15-20% more than USD price is a bit of a price gouge. Ie COD's of this world
GaminggUy45: Also don't forget that we haven't seen a big publisher sign on to GOG in about 18 months. Does anyone else not find that worrying? Maybe their running out of a steady flow of releases?
I've noticed. I wasn't really worried, but it had me wondering how long it was going to take them to get some of these big publishers, and also the fact that there's been no new popular ones that joined in a while, like you said.

When they released all 3 games from the STALKER series the same day, then I surmised that they either had a change in policy where they wouldn't hold onto games and trot out the next one in the series a week later, or they had a sufficient number of games that they were preparing for release. Either way I felt pretty sure that they weren't running out of releases.

I knew last year that they had some goals for 2014 that they would announce in Q1 (they do that every year), but I had no idea what those goals would be.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
Guess I better learn how to use Brazilian payment methods.
Niggles: Its the other end of the scale im worried about. For me anything more than 15-20% more than USD price is a bit of a price gouge. Ie COD's of this world
:)

As I edited into my post, I think regional pricing done right *could* be more fair than the flat rate pricing - it just isn't most of the time. If GOG manages to buck the trend and have fair regional pricing, then they'll actually have done something rather remarkable. But it is not clear what is going to happen, GOG can't guarantee anything, and so I understand why so many are nervous and downright angry.

AUD 39.99
US 39.99
GBP 29.99
Euro 39.99
Brazilian real 69.99
Ukraine 19.99

AUD 59.99
USD 59.99
GBP 34.99
Euro 44.99
Brazilian real 99.99
Ukraine 29.99

Living in Germany, I would pay 37,5% more for D:OS over US price.

UK would be 25% over US price.

Wasteland 2 is about equal though.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Ichwillnichtmehr
Niggles: Its the other end of the scale im worried about. For me anything more than 15-20% more than USD price is a bit of a price gouge. Ie COD's of this world
crazy_dave: :)

As I edited into my post, I think regional pricing done right *could* be more fair than the flat rate pricing - it just isn't most of the time. If GOG manages to buck the trend and have fair regional pricing, then they'll actually have done something rather remarkable. But it is not clear what is going to happen, GOG can't guarantee anything, and so I understand why so many are nervous and downright angry.
The worrying for me is, GOG has likely no control (or very little) over what would be "reasonable' price differentiation. Thats the big bugbear for me. Price gouging one end, paying peanuts (well comparatively), its the balance which im waiting to see......I do *hope* they can either compromise in future or just say "F*ck it those prices are too ridiculous - we decline offer to sell *that* game.
Ichwillnichtmehr: Living in Germany, I would pay 37,5% more for D:OS over US price.

UK would be 25% over US price.
Not really though - exchange rate =/= purchasing power. People in Germany, France, and the UK spend Euros and pounds like dollars in their countries (that's why when you visit the US, prices are cheap to buy goods here as the dollars' exchange rate is weaker than the Euro on the international market). Regional pricing is designed to take that into account and be more reflective of domestic purchasing power. The problem is that a lot of people from poorer European countries also pay the same Euro prices and AU & NZ get jacked up prices for different reason related to retail. Some asian countries might also get shafted or treated fairly, but I don't know their pricing schemes all that well.
a final thought by way of quoting crazy_dave - "wait and see". Wise words are those, particularly in context of GOGs track record for being cool.
WhiteElk: a final thought by way of quoting crazy_dave - "wait and see". Wise words are those, particularly in context of GOGs track record for being cool.
:)
crazy_dave: :)

Niggles: The worrying for me is, GOG has likely no control (or very little) over what would be "reasonable' price differentiation. Thats the big bugbear for me. Price gouging one end, paying peanuts (well comparatively), its the balance which im waiting to see......I do *hope* they can either compromise in future or just say "F*ck it those prices are too ridiculous - we decline offer to sell *that* game.
Indeed
I didn't read all the stuff posted about this "slippery slope" thing, but since there seems to be a lot of confusion about it, here's an fyi:

There is no "slippery slope" as a formal logical fallacy, which means any interpretation of such a fallacy is purely subjective. There is no way to logically conclude definitively if someone has committed a 'slippery slope' fallacy, so arguments over whether or not someone has are absolutely moot.

Most times "slippery slope" fallacies can be converted into categorically syllogisms, or other formal fallacy that can then be proved invalid. When doing so, you should show the person you're talking to this conversion. It's much harder with inductive arguments, as most of these are. Therefore, one should aim to prove the argument unlikely (weak) rather than prove it impossible or completely wrong. In essence, when someone commits a slippery slope fallacy (S happened, which will absolutely lead to P) the common (wrong) reaction is also illogical. The correct answer to an assumed slippery slope fallacy is almost always "that is <b>unlikely</b> to be true because X piece of information does not strongly support Y conclusion".

Be aware that just because you believe someone has made a slippery slope argument does not mean that they are wrong. The best course of action in discussion is to request more information on what steps will occur between the initial event (GOG forsaking its level-pricing promise) and the conclusion (the world coming to an end). It is possible the person can provide a series of logical arguments (possibly even deductive ones) that will support their argument.