It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When we started our journey 15 years ago, one of our most important goals was to do our best to preserve games and make them last forever. Allowing video games history, once-loved gems, to be lost in time, is something we cannot just stand and watch – we fight, for current and future generations to be able to enjoy games; all games, not just the newest, popular releases. Today, we stand proudly by our mission, and we’re extremely happy to announce the re-release of a cherished classic that, thanks to our efforts, has been successfully archived in the GOG catalog, to enjoy anew.

Alpha Protocol is back – better than ever, with a -10% launch discount until April 3rd, 2 PM UTC!

That’s right, this Alpha Protocol, the Espionage RPG, is making a grand return 14 years after its initial premiere. With conjoined forces of GOG, Obsidian Entertainment and SEGA, we’ve made sure to make it better than ever; compatible with modern PCs, with licensed soundtrack and performance improvements that are sure to make this timeless classic, yet again, your favorite spy story.

But that’s not all we have up our sleeves, of course! For this incredibly special occasion, we’ve prepared a one-of-a-kind documentary video, where the process of bringing back Alpha Protocol is extensively explained – including interviews with its creators, as well as our own team members. You can watch it below!
This type of release at that price gets an instant purchase from me. No waiting for a sale. Thanks GOG.
with you, GOG, there's always hope

and it's not an empty hope!
WOUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
New best site ever.
Oh wow. Amazing.

You guys are actually awesome.
SuperTiso: If I own this on Steam, do I need this GOG version? Is the GOG version essentially a remaster?
My steam version runs just fine since 2012, win 11 cheap 2021 nvidia laptop. Install and test first, 'optimized' is a very relative term when you have no access to source code.
high rated
SuperTiso: If I own this on Steam, do I need this GOG version? Is the GOG version essentially a remaster?
Stiffkittin: My steam version runs just fine since 2012, win 11 cheap 2021 nvidia laptop. Install and test first, 'optimized' is a very relative term when you have no access to source code.
The documentary explicitly stated they have access to source code, that's how they enabled the achievements.
high rated
Proper move by all involved and congrats for bringing this title back. I too had never heard of it before, but watched the mentioned documentary and I'm super curious now. Good going GOG.
Sarang: So you can buy it there? I am super confused why we should want it on Steam. Having it on GOG is a statement of how they are dedicated to seeing these games preserved, made available to a new generation. Steam doesn't care about that one bit.
LunaRosalie: because thats where i prefer to buy all my games; I love gog and DRM free and have always sent my friends here because they want DRM free copies.
But me personally am A steam user, if its not on steam then I don't really care; Disappointing to me but at least i can send my friends this way who missed this classic.

The one thing that I hate is exclusivity and just want to use my platform of choice, if its not there then my wallet doesn't open easy as that. just like ive supported wanting multiple new release games to come to gog but businesses are so warpped by Deneuvo etc.

I'm not like the modern gamer itching to play a game to inject it into my veins like a drug i can just wait or just not play it 1000000 of games exist to today and I can fill time with others.
Is competition bad in this case because it means you have to buy outside of Steam? Or is this not true competition since the game is exclusive to GOG currently?
Post edited March 20, 2024 by tfishell
LunaRosalie: Nice to see this game relisted and alive hope it comes to steam
Sarang: So you can buy it there? I am super confused why we should want it on Steam. Having it on GOG is a statement of how they are dedicated to seeing these games preserved, made available to a new generation. Steam doesn't care about that one bit.
Just for yout information, the version that was on Steam before was DRM free as well. I still have an archived version of it on around here somewhere. It is just as preserved as this version is.
GOG.com: When we started our journey 15 years ago, one of our most important goals was to do our best to preserve games and make them last forever. Allowing video games history, once-loved gems, to be lost in time, is something we cannot just stand and watch – we fight, for current and future generations to be able to enjoy games; all games, not just the newest, popular releases. Today, we stand proudly by our mission, and we’re extremely happy to announce the re-release of a cherished classic that, thanks to our efforts, has been successfully archived in the GOG catalog, to enjoy anew.

Alpha Protocol is back – better than ever, with a -10% launch discount until April 3rd, 2 PM UTC!

That’s right, this Alpha Protocol, the Espionage RPG, is making a grand return 14 years after its initial premiere. With conjoined forces of GOG, Obsidian Entertainment and SEGA, we’ve made sure to make it better than ever; compatible with modern PCs, with licensed soundtrack and performance improvements that are sure to make this timeless classic, yet again, your favorite spy story.

But that’s not all we have up our sleeves, of course! For this incredibly special occasion, we’ve prepared a one-of-a-kind documentary video, where the process of bringing back Alpha Protocol is extensively explained – including interviews with its creators, as well as our own team members. You can watch it below!
And... You do the best job in game industry. GOG, CDP prove it many times the Right to Repair, FreeDRM is most important part in technology industry. GOG, WebArchive, Fairphone... there is no too many companies which going forward to people (not because of being forced by government). Happy to buying 90% purchases on GOG.

I wish GOG Galaxy will be released on Linux with support for proton...
I have LEGIT DVD, with the box.
Stiffkittin: My steam version runs just fine since 2012, win 11 cheap 2021 nvidia laptop. Install and test first, 'optimized' is a very relative term when you have no access to source code.
krikun_98: The documentary explicitly stated they have access to source code, that's how they enabled the achievements.
I stand corrected; misheard that section of the video. Achievements patched in from xbox code. I stand by my refutation of the explicit claim that the game probably doesn't work on modern systems, It totally can and does flawlessly, which was my point. None of which denies this is certainly the 'superior' version of the game, for what that's worth if you already own it.
Awesome news - and even more awesome video. If you guys did more of these, showcasing the work you do for digital preservation, your public image would be sooo much better, and your reach would also increase a lot.

Either way, THANK YOU!
high rated
LunaRosalie: snip
KvellertaK: snip
gibbeynator: snip
If you want it on Steam, ask Valve to do the same game preservation efforts that GOG does. They have like 2000x the revenue to do so, so it's not a matter of being financially strained. Too bad they don't care about it at all.

This is like bothering the mom and pop shop to release a previously discontinued item (that they worked really hard to get back online) at Walmart...
Post edited March 20, 2024 by UnashamedWeeb
amok: Just for yout information, the version that was on Steam before was DRM free as well. I still have an archived version of it on around here somewhere. It is just as preserved as this version is.
Great but why give money to support a site which ACTIVELY makes it harder to get games I will be able to still play should said site go completely out of business?