It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ugh.....seems like my decision to get the game via GOG was not a good one.
I should have gone Steam because they seem to have priority when it comes to patches.
They now have 1.0.81 version and we still don't have 1.0.78 yet.
I guess that the big corporation will always win over the small guy. Very disappointing because I thought Larian itself is really just a small guy and would give priority to similar others. :(
stubbie: Ugh.....seems like my decision to get the game via GOG was not a good one.
I should have gone Steam because they seem to have priority when it comes to patches.
I guess that the big corporation will always win over the small guy. Very disappointing because I thought Larian itself is really just a small guy and would give priority to similar others. :(
Erm, sorry but you're going a bit way off there if you ask me.

Updating games on Steam is much easier compared to manual patches. Also GOG already stated that they're waiting for the next version since 1.0.78 had some issues with savegames, which I find it to be a reasonable decision.

Judging from the Steam user response here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/230230/announcements/detail/246887604909204997 Looks like the Mac version has issues with savegames still.

If there's something I learned about patches, the latest version doesn't necessarily mean it's the best.
stubbie: Ugh.....seems like my decision to get the game via GOG was not a good one.
1. Getting the game on Steam is a bad idea if you think it isn't good that they are favored by devs.

2. It's not Larian's fault. Steam doesn't have "priority". The "problem" is how patching works on both platforms:
Steam - Dev uploads the patch. Done. That's it.
GOG - Dev gives the patch to GOG, GOG tests the patch, GOG decides if the patch should be available to its users or if it breaks more than it's fixing.

The way it is on Steam doesn't take any time. The patch is up as soon as the dev is ready. The way GOG is doing it, takes time. Is it better the way it works on Steam? I don't know... Broken savegames suck. GOG tries to prevent such situations (that's the developers job normally, but... yeah). And on Steam you can't go back to an older game version if something breaks your game. On GOG, I can always reinstall my old installer and patch the game to the latest working patch.

You want always the latest patch, as soon as possible? There's Steam for you.
You want someone to check if the developer introduced some savegame killing bugs AND you want to have control over patching? Welcome to GOG.
Post edited July 17, 2014 by real.geizterfahr
The way I see this is that we are actually the ones that are better off with the patches at least for this game. The patches seem to come rather quickly on GOG after they are on Steam. Complaining about not having the latest patch the second it arrives on Steam is just complaining for the sake complaining. And that espcially true when GOG is holding it back on purpose because there obviously seems to be savegame breaking bugs with that version of the patch. What you doing here is complaining that GOG is not giving you a patch that might break your savegame and in the worst case set you back several hours in the game. Maybe I am missing something here but that does not make a lot of sense for me. I rather wait a couple of hours or 1 or 2 days and get a patch that is save to apply rather than having always the latest and greatest with the risk of loosing several hours of game progress.

Now if this situation would be like with Omerta, where you had to wait not days but weeks and month from what I can recall, than by all means get your pitchforks and torches out and start rioting. Because than you at least would have a very valid reason to get upset. But in a situation like this its seems uncalled for imho.
Post edited July 17, 2014 by Cifer29
Cifer29: The way I see this is that we are actually the ones that are better off with the patches at least for this game. The patches seem to come rather quickly on GOG after they are on Steam. Complaining about not having the latest patch the second it arrives on Steam is just complaining for the sake complaining. And that espcially true when GOG is holding it back on purpose because there obviously seems to be savegame breaking bugs with that version of the patch. What you doing here is complaining that GOG is not giving you a patch that might break your savegame and in the worst case set you back several hours in the game. Maybe I am missing something here but that does not make a lot of sense for me. I rather wait a couple of hours or 1 or 2 days and get a patch that is save to apply rather than having always the latest and greatest with the risk of loosing several hours of game progress.

Now if this situation would be like with Omerta, where you had to wait not days but weeks and month from what I can recall, than by all means get your pitchforks and torches out and start rioting. Because than you at least would have a very valid reason to get upset. But in a situation like this its seems uncalled for imho.
Version 1.0.81 is here btw :) See the sticky :)
AlienMind: .. e.g. Planet's Edge by New World Computing ..
LordCrash: ..Just because one other game did it better..
LOL? It was the norm on PC back then. I just picked this example because it's as complex a game as D:OS. Please research when the game came out. You couldn't exactly drive to your customer's house and patch the game. I agree it's like it is today. But in my optinion it's because they get away with it, and not because it's cool like that. Having that attitude IMHO brutally disrespects producers of the games back then.

real.geizterfahr: . It's not Larian's fault. Steam doesn't have "priority". The "problem" is how patching works on both platforms:
Steam - Dev uploads the patch. Done. That's it.
GOG - Dev gives the patch to GOG, GOG tests the patch, GOG decides if the patch should be available to its users or if it breaks more than it's fixing.
Sorry, and you are? Are you sure there is no checkbox in the GOG interface for developers to set so when the GOG team has reviewed the patch, that the dev itself can put it live via a button? And in the Steam interface too? And that one person could jolly well sit down and push the two buttons.. wait for it... at the same time! *mindblown*
Post edited July 17, 2014 by AlienMind
Another patch well done. Thank you GOG.

"Update 2.6.0.13 - Game installation not found, please reinstall"

Edit: Sorry, my error. please ignore this.
Post edited July 17, 2014 by asimon
AlienMind: Sorry, and you are?
Someone who's able to start a normal discussion without being aggressive in the first four words.

AlienMind: Are you sure there is no checkbox in the GOG interface for developers to set so when the GOG team has reviewed the patch, that the dev itself can put it live via a button?
Have I said something like this? No. All I said is that GOG is testing the patches, while Steam doesn't. Steam = dev presses button, patch is online. GOG = dev sends patch, GOG does testing. Simple. You don't really expect the devs to wait until GOG is finished with testing before they "push two buttons at the same time", do you? They publish the patch on Steam as soon as the patch is ready, no matter how long GOG is going to test it.

And by the way: It's pretty common knowledge that GOG staff puts the patches on our shelves and not the developers. But this just as a side note.

And now take your attitude back to GameStar or any other of our glorious, German "communities" where your tone is surely much appreciated. It's people like you who made me use English forums instead of the ones in my native language... Can't stand the "Shoot first, don't ask questions later" attitude anymore. Honestly... I didn't attack you and I wasn't aggressive in any way. I didn't even talk to you! No need to be aggressive, dude -.-
AlienMind: Sorry, and you are?
real.geizterfahr: Someone who's able to start a normal discussion without being aggressive in the first four words.
Thought as much. If you're not actually a developer who uses both systems to release patches, why then propagate the theses that it's not possible to sync a crossplatform patch release at the same time? Do you like to sound smart or something? Interesting that my normal question of about who you are in the sense what authority you have to give info like on steam stuff would not be moderated and the likes is coming through like an attack to you.

Yes, I expect for the devs to wait until the patch is moderated by the respective digital platform. If you're that desperate to release patches you've got something wrong in the first place (see the "discussion" above).
Post edited July 17, 2014 by AlienMind
AlienMind: Thought as much. If you're not actually a developer who uses both systems to release patches, why then propagate the theses that it's not possible to sync a crossplatform patch release at the same time?
I didn't "propagate" any thesis... I just repeated what's "common knowledge", confirmed several times by various devs.

Of course it would be somehow possible to sync patches. But... Honestly: Would you sit there and wait for GOG to give you a call, before you upload your patch to Steam? No way. And what would you do if GOG says "We skip this patch, because..." (happened here, just read this thread)? Don't upload it at all? Yeah, sure...

AlienMind: Do you like to sound smart or something?
Do you like to sound like an aggressive prick or something? :rolleyes:

AlienMind: Interesting that my normal question of about who you are in the sense what authority you have to give info like on steam stuff would not be moderated and the likes is coming through like an attack to you.
*lol* Go, register on some other English speaking communities and start an answer with "Sorry, and you are?". You'll see how people react to you.

Next time you want to ask someone if his information is first hand information, try something like "Do you know this first hand, or is it just something you heard somewhere?" That's a clear question that'll give you a clear answer and doesn't come off as aggressive in any way. A "Sorry, and you are?"`comes off pretty arrogant. More like a "Sorry, but who are you to allow yourself to open your worthless mouth?" Honestly, try it on other forums. You'll see what I mean ;)

And now let's just end this sophisticated discussion of ours...