It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

malikhis: Unfortunately this is a lie. Gaming on Linux has not been growing, gaming on Proton has been growing. As long as so called "Linux Gamers" are perfectly happy to buy a game that doesn't have a true Linux port just because it runs in wine / proton no one will care about making true Linux ports. The problem really is that too many "Linux Gamers" are buying the windows product, which only makes windows sales look better. 500k in profit is pocket change to these corporations, they need to be HURT for not supporting linux on launch.

I do agree there is no good reason to be using DirectX these days, but microsoft has the money to take freedom away from the consumer. They did after all pay for GPU companies to butcher their OpenGL drivers.
Well, the whole point of my post and the wishlist entry is to push for a native Linux version, so I think we're on the same team here. I try to support devs who are releasing native on Linux wherever possible. That is why I am not going to buy Divinity: Original SIn 2, because Larian have stopped supporting Linux. I also have a wishlist entry open for The Talos Principle. Croteam have already developed a Linux version, but lazily not released it on GOG. I won't be buying that game until the Linux version is released on GOG (regardless of how good it is).
delete
Post edited December 16, 2020 by zwo1risiko
malikhis: I do agree there is no good reason to be using DirectX these days, but microsoft has the money to take freedom away from the consumer. They did after all pay for GPU companies to butcher their OpenGL drivers.
Luckily that is now no longer a real issue as there's Vulkan, which is fully supported on Windows, the successor of OpenGL and way more modern and performant (e.g. fully supporting multi-threaded rendering, which OpenGL doesn't). One could argue Apple is doing worse stuff today with only supporting Metal, but since this API is almost identical to Vulkan, there's MetalVK to add a small compatibility layer on your Vulkan engine.

Still, if a game runs perfectly fine in vanilla Wine (+ dxvk if it uses DirectX for rendering), it's good enough for me. It's really to compile & test such a big game on more than one platform, so it's not just the one-time porting costs, but ongoing expenses for additional development & QA time.

I'd more importantly want to have GOG Galaxy for Linux, as it's running poorly/crashing with Wine or Proton, but since it's based on cross-platform libraries (Qt, CEF, Poco, Python etc.), it should not be THAT hard to build a Linux release. Then add support for Proton (there's no restriction on using it outside Steam) and done.