It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FacundoTupac: Where should I write that? Sorry, I'm a complete Linux noob, it's my first time on the OS.
Paste the command I shared in a terminal. It should run the game, forcing it to use software rendering.

If the game does not run, it might display an error in the terminal. Then copy the error here, and we may be able to help you to understand what went wrong ;)

FacundoTupac: I should turn the .Lua back to write & read also, right?
Yes, I think it could cause issues if you keep it read-only.
FacundoTupac: Where should I write that? Sorry, I'm a complete Linux noob, it's my first time on the OS.
vv221: Paste the command I shared in a terminal. It should run the game, forcing it to use software rendering.

If the game does not run, it might display an error in the terminal. Then copy the error here, and we may be able to help you to understand what went wrong ;)

FacundoTupac: I should turn the .Lua back to write & read also, right?
vv221: Yes, I think it could cause issues if you keep it read-only.
Thanks for all your patience with this. Pasted it and got the game running without any error popping up in terminal but the results are still the same, no improvement on the fps. This is what the terminal output from that command, just in case there's something important there:

INFO: status: 0
INFO: Creating DPWrapper
INFO: Steam not found
INFO: scanning:(0) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/override
INFO: scanning:(1) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/scripts
INFO: scanning:(2) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/sounds
INFO: scanning:(3) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/lang/en_US/sounds
INFO: scanning:(4) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/portraits
INFO: scanning:(5) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/characters
INFO: scanning:(6) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/movies
INFO: scanning:(7) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/lang/en_US/movies
INFO: scanning:(8) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/override
INFO: scanning:(9) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/scripts
INFO: scanning:(10) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/sounds
INFO: scanning:(11) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/portraits
INFO: scanning:(12) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/characters
INFO: scanning:(13) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/movies
INFO: scanning:(0) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/override
INFO: scanning:(1) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/scripts
INFO: scanning:(2) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/sounds
INFO: scanning:(3) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/lang/en_US/sounds
INFO: scanning:(4) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/portraits
INFO: scanning:(5) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/characters
INFO: scanning:(6) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/movies
INFO: scanning:(7) /home/tupac/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition/lang/en_US/movies
INFO: scanning:(8) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/override
INFO: scanning:(9) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/scripts
INFO: scanning:(10) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/sounds
INFO: scanning:(11) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/portraits
INFO: scanning:(12) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/characters
INFO: scanning:(13) /home/tupac/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/movies
INFO: LUA: UI string not found: Recent events text will go here.
INFO: LUA: Initializing Quests
INFO: gl.useShaders: 1
gl.has_s3tc: 1
gl.has_pvrtc: 0
gl.has_atc: 0
gl.postprocessing: 0
gl.uploadFormat: 0x80E1
gl.uploadType: 0x8367
gl.versionstring: 3.1 Mesa 20.0.8
gl.majorVersion: 3
gl.minorVersion: 1
INFO: Font: loaded font STONESML
INFO: Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition v2.5.16.6
INFO: sAchieveID=NONE,m_sGlobalName=GameDifficulty,m_nValue=3
INFO: Font: loaded font NORMAL
INFO: Font: Added point size (7) for font STONESML
INFO: Font: Added point size (19) for font NORMAL
INFO: Font: loaded font REALMS
INFO: Font: Added point size (12) for font REALMS
INFO: Font: Added point size (9) for font STONESML
INFO: Font: Added point size (14) for font STONESML
INFO: Font: loaded font FLOATTXT
INFO: Font: Added point size (7) for font FLOATTXT
INFO: sAchieveID=NONE,m_sGlobalName=BD_DEFAI,m_nValue=1
INFO: sAchieveID=NONE,m_sGlobalName=BDAI_RESET_TIMERS,m_nValue=1
INFO: Font: loaded font POSTANTI
INFO: Font: Added point size (10) for font POSTANTI
INFO: Font: Added point size (10) for font NORMAL
AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed
FacundoTupac: (…)
I see nothing wrong here, the game itself seems to run as expected.

Sadly I do not really know what to try next… It might be worth trying the old classic version, maybe it would work better than the Enhanced Edition one.
vv221: I see nothing wrong here, the game itself seems to run as expected.

Sadly I do not really know what to try next… It might be worth trying the old classic version, maybe it would work better than the Enhanced Edition one.
It's ok, I really appreciate your help anyways! In a few days I'll try with the classic and see if there's any improvement.
vv221: I see nothing wrong here, the game itself seems to run as expected.

When running the script, I'm getting this:

Using /home/tupac/Downloads/baldur_s_gate_2_complete_gog_3_23651.sh
Computing hashsum for baldur_s_gate_2_complete_gog_3_23651.sh OK
Checking integrity of baldur_s_gate_2_complete_gog_3_23651.sh OK
Extracting data from baldur_s_gate_2_complete_gog_3_23651.sh OK
mv: cannot move '/tmp/play.it/baldurs-gate-2.QDrrE/baldurs-gate-2-l10n-en_2.5.26498-gog23651+20181028.1_all/usr/local/share/ic ons/hicolor' to '/tmp/play.it/baldurs-gate-2.QDrrE/baldurs-gate-2-data_2.5.26498-gog23651+20181028.1_all/usr/local/share/icons /hicolor': Directory not empty

Tried manually deleting that folder with root access, tried rebooting the computer but I still get that error.
Thanks for the report, the error is on our side.

It should be fixed by the following update: Game update: Baldur's Gate Ⅱ - Fix rendering issues
Test instructions are given on the linked page, but feel free to tell me if you don’t manage to use this updated script.

For convenience, here is a direct download link for the updated script: play-baldurs-gate-2.sh
Post edited August 13, 2020 by vv221
Update

Baldurʼs Gate (classic version)

• Use native windowed mode instead of WINE virtual desktop
Switching between windowed and full screen can be done through the game options, or using the Alt + Enter keyboard shortcut.

Baldurʼs Gate Ⅱ (classic version)

• Disable the multi-threaded command stream feature
This feature has a very heavy impact on the game rendering performances.

• Use native windowed mode instead of WINE virtual desktop
Switching between windowed and full screen can be done through the game options, or using the Alt + Enter keyboard shortcut.

• Add dependency on libGL.so.1
OpenGL support is required to avoid rendering issues when playing in full screen.
Post edited September 07, 2020 by vv221
lol... having native EEs but still going with the shifty garage-made cludge propping a wrapper cludge aka wine... jeez some ppl...
osm: (…)
As specified in the opening post of this thread, ./play.it supports both the classic and Enhanced Edition versions of the Baldur’s Gate games.

We are actually working on adding support for the CD/DVD versions too, cf. WIP: New Game: Baldur's Gate 2 DVD.
Post edited September 14, 2020 by vv221
osm: (…)
vv221: As specified in the opening post of this thread, ./play.it supports both the classic and Enhanced Edition versions of the Baldur’s Gate games.

We are actually working on adding support for the CD/DVD versions too, cf. WIP: New Game: Baldur's Gate 2 DVD.
yeah I get it that it does.
more useless entropy though

when will you people understand that digital entertainment generally shouldn't be treated like some work of fine art?? It's different, deal with it. I can fully understand someone collecting boxed versions of his favourite games (heck, I myself would) to grace their mantle, but supporting ancient stuff solely for the sake of completionism is a stupidly useless exercise.

what if they've released 10 incompatible versions/patches back then - you'll be huffing and puffing to support them all?
osm: what if they've released 10 incompatible versions/patches back then - you'll be huffing and puffing to support them all?
Yes. What is the issue you see with that?
osm: what if they've released 10 incompatible versions/patches back then - you'll be huffing and puffing to support them all?
vv221: Yes. What is the issue you see with that?
me? i've no issue cos I don't use the stuff you do, nor any similar cludges

it's just a pity you waste your energy on something so useless

you effectively treating versions of computer games like some versions of a painting by Van Gogh. It's not. Get over it. It's just bits and bytes. They tend to change. Rather often. If we now have a version which is superior in almost all respects why do something like this?

I could understand it in cases where say a game back then had eg an installer which itself has some entertainment value - Interstate'76 comes to mind - and the more modern version (like GOG) throws it away entirely.

But what the purpose of wasting your time on all forms of an old game which has been long turned into good shape already? Is gog_setup_baldurs_gate.exe is so much worse than an image of some value issue of BG on a DVD from 15 yrs ago??
osm: If we now have a version which is superior in almost all respects why do something like this?
I agree with you that the original Baldur’s Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast provide a nicer experience than the new Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition. But is it a reason to prevent players who enjoy the Enhanced Edition more to play it anyway, to impose our preferences on them?

I know people can have different tastes, that’s why ./play.it provides support for Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition despite Baldur’s Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast being the superior version, and support for classic Baldur’s Gate 2 despite Baldur‘s Gate 2 Enhanced Edition being better in almost every way.

osm: I could understand it in cases where say a game back then had eg an installer which itself has some entertainment value - Interstate'76 comes to mind - and the more modern version (like GOG) throws it away entirely.
So it’s OK for Interstate ’76, but not for Baldur’s Gate? That might need further explaining, as I do not get where the difference is.
Update

Baldur’s Gate (classic version)

• Add support for Polish version:
  - baldur_s_gate_the_original_saga_polish_gog_3_23532.sh
This thread will no longer be updated, see this post on the general forums for more details: End of website maintenance