It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Escape to the fantastic lands!

Two Worlds 2 Epic Edition, a vast fantasy realm full of danger and adventure for you to explore and conquer, is available 50% off on GOG.com. That's only $9.99 for the first week!

[url=http://www.gog.com/gamecard/two_worlds_2_epic_edition][/url]Reality--it can be such a drag, right? Just how many times you think you'd love to escape to some imaginary land when everything is simpler and more exciting? Thanks to the modern magic of computer games, you can do just that. Among the fantastic realms created by game developers, the one you'll get to explore in Two Worlds 2 Epic Edition stands out thanks to its size, complexity, and the number of different things you can do as your digital heroic alternate self. If you're the escapist type this one will most certainly live up to your expectations.

In Two Worlds 2 you can ride on horseback, craft items, forge weapons and armor, and even brew potions.The game offers a diverse landscape of forests, deserts, swamps, seashores, cities, and fields, venturing deep into forgotten caverns and dungeons. The way you develop your character is entirely left to your decision. Combine the skills of a ranger, a mage, and a warrior, balancing the focus and creating your own perfect build. The Epic Edition offered on GOG.com includes the original Two Worlds II, the Pirates of the Flying Fortress expansion, and Two Worlds II: Castle Defense.

A whole new life in a fantastic realm far, far away is now well within your reach. Get Two Worlds 2 Epic Edition, for only $9.99 on GOG.com! The release promo offer lasts until Thursday, May 2, at 9:59AM GMT.
anjohl: No, I don't. I live in THE world where the artists original intent trumps any fan tinkering. Patches which fix glitches, IE, basic utilitarian ones are fine, but any fan mod/patch which adds content is inherently worse than the original content.
ShaolinsKunk: Yeah, one of the greatest strengths of PC gaming is actually not a strength at all, in fact it detracts from the experience.

Let me tell you, when my brother modded GTA4 he could do nothing but lament that the driving was actually bearable for once. Oh, and all those mods I had for Unreal Tournament? You know, the ones that made the game insanely more fun? Yeah I was obviously having "inferior" fun since it wasn't "the artist's intent" for me to have that much fun.

Playing only the vanilla versions of games is fine but judging everyone else because they're willing to try something different with their game? That just strikes me as sour grapes through and through.
This insatiable need to tinker with another artists work is telling of the disfunctional nature of the average PC gamer. Console gamers never lament not being able to mod. You don't complain that movie theaters don't have video editting software to let you put in your own Team Fortress 2-esque sounds and artifacts.

Art consumption and art creation and almost diametrically opposed. You are on one side of the exhibit rope, or the other.
anjohl: Art consumption and art creation and almost diametrically opposed. You are on one side of the exhibit rope, or the other.
Yeah, you're right, it's really too bad there hasn't been a medium which would turn the passive consumer into an active participant. That certainly doesn't fundamentally change anything at all. It's not like you'd have to cross some sort of figurative 'exhibit rope' in order to even experience said hypothetical rope-straddling art-form. It's also inconceivable that any creator would even want his creation to be toyed with by the community and grow in this newfangled way of doing things. I mean something like that would be downright awesome but I guess we'll just have to stick with passively consuming the media given to us.

Dang.
ShaolinsKunk: I mean something like that would be downright awesome but I guess we'll just have to stick with passively consuming the media given to us.

Dang.
But it's not awesome, it's dilution and cheapens the medium. If the developer wanted you to have a lightsaber in a high fantasy game, they would have included it.

I could MAYBE allow for mods for those who have put 3-400 hours into the canonical game (What many of you call the "vanilla" version, which is a telling term). Everytime I see some newcomer to a game make a post like: "I want to get Moutn and Blade Warband, which mods are essential?" I throw up.

What sickness do you people have that your FIRST IMPULSE is to alter the game before playing it?! I find the whole concept sickening.
anjohl: But it's not awesome, it's dilution and cheapens the medium. If the developer wanted you to have a lightsaber in a high fantasy game, they would have included it.

I could MAYBE allow for mods for those who have put 3-400 hours into the canonical game (What many of you call the "vanilla" version, which is a telling term). Everytime I see some newcomer to a game make a post like: "I want to get Moutn and Blade Warband, which mods are essential?" I throw up.

What sickness do you people have that your FIRST IMPULSE is to alter the game before playing it?! I find the whole concept sickening.
Well, myself would actually somewhat agree with you. I don't mod a game until I've finished the game or until I am "finished with" the game, unless it's bug-fixes, but really man, to be physically ill because someone wants to get what he perceives to be the best possible version from the get-go? That's a bit over-the-top. Maybe you should go read some international news and get some perspective before blowing chunks because a 5-year-old wants to beat Dagoth Ur pretending to be Luke Skywalker.
anjohl: But it's not awesome, it's dilution and cheapens the medium. If the developer wanted you to have a lightsaber in a high fantasy game, they would have included it.
What if the developer wanted you to have a hot cup of coffee after your date, but while all the assets and code was already included, they decided to remove the trigger, so they would be able to get an M rating instead of an AO one? Which version is the pure, the M or the AO?

I do agree with trying the game as is first before applying mods, but you claim that each and every mod that is doing anything other than bugfixing is diluting the game. I call bullshit on that. If there is even 1 mod that continues, enhances, or enables the developers vision, then your statement is false, no matter how much you don't want it to be.
Replace "all" with "some", and I want argue further.
I don't care what the developers want; if I'm paying for a game, I'll play it in the way that maximizes my enjoyment. That makes you sick? Sorry, but I can live with that--maybe you should reconsider getting upset over other people's gaming habits.
Post edited May 03, 2013 by BadDecissions
Also, some games are just really bad without mods. TES is the prime example of vanilla games that are just boring and almost unplayable in their unmodded form. In fact, the entire series seems to be based around the developer giving you only the bare minimum of a game, and you have to mod everything you want in yourself.
To be fair, Fallout 3 and Skyrim are not as bad in this regard as Morrowind and Oblivion.
JMich: What if the developer wanted you to have a hot cup of coffee after your date, but while all the assets and code was already included, they decided to remove the trigger, so they would be able to get an M rating instead of an AO one? Which version is the pure, the M or the AO?

I do agree with trying the game as is first before applying mods, but you claim that each and every mod that is doing anything other than bugfixing is diluting the game. I call bullshit on that. If there is even 1 mod that continues, enhances, or enables the developers vision, then your statement is false, no matter how much you don't want it to be.
Replace "all" with "some", and I want argue further.
Incorrect. The published product is the definitive version, unless a third party patch fixes technical errors.
Fesin: Also, some games are just really bad without mods. TES is the prime example of vanilla games that are just boring and almost unplayable in their unmodded form. In fact, the entire series seems to be based around the developer giving you only the bare minimum of a game, and you have to mod everything you want in yourself.
To be fair, Fallout 3 and Skyrim are not as bad in this regard as Morrowind and Oblivion.
Lol, this is *exactly* what I am talking about. I am sorry, but if you cannot enjoy Morrowind or Oblivion without content mods, I can state unequivocally and objectively that you are not a fan of video games. Perhaps you are a tinkerer or a wannabe programmer, but you certainly aren't a gamer.
Post edited May 05, 2013 by anjohl
anjohl: Incorrect. The published product is the definitive version, unless a third party patch fixes technical errors.
Yet another example (I can do this all day).
XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Vanilla version included in the code the so called "Second Wave" options, which should be enabled after winning the game once. Modders found it, and added the enable flag. Official patch 1 (or was it official patch 2?) also enabled the "Second Wave" for non-modded game.
So, developers (and publisher) had the intent to add it, but it wasn't polished up to their standards. It was included in the vanilla game, but was enabled after polishing it. So the mod just pre-patched the game, for a gameplay mechanic, not a technical error. Is this mod also doing something the developers didn't want to?
anjohl: if you cannot enjoy Morrowind or Oblivion without content mods, I can state unequivocally and objectively that you are not a fan of video games
If you cannot accept another viewpoint than that of your own, I can unequivocally and objectively state that you are an idiot.

edit: Also:
anjohl: I am just sick of people being contrary just for the sake of it. If you are not willing to wager something on an argument, than your point is irrelevant.
Post edited May 05, 2013 by Fenixp
anjohl: Perhaps you are a tinkerer or a wannabe programmer, but you certainly aren't a gamer.
Not being a gamer is not a bad thing if it means being less elitist than you.

anjohl: If the developer wanted you to have a lightsaber in a high fantasy game, they would have included it
No. If the developer didn't want you to have a lightsaber in a high fantasy game, they wouldn't include tools to let you do that.

I can think of so many communities for games that would be completely dead right now if not for user-created content. Mods are the user's way of giving back to the developer and the community by attracting new players and keeping current players. Suggesting that modding is a bad thing is the stupidest thing I have ever heard regarding PC gaming.

anjohl: You don't complain that movie theaters don't have video editting software to let you put in your own Team Fortress 2-esque sounds and artifacts.
That's a horrible example. Film has never been an open medium like video games, and even though that is the case, fan edits exist. The only reason console gamers don't "complain about modding," as you put it, is that they have never been able to. If PC games were as restricted as console games from the beginning, PC gamers wouldn't be complaining, either.
Post edited May 05, 2013 by AlCapowned
anjohl: Lol, this is *exactly* what I am talking about. I am sorry, but if you cannot enjoy Morrowind or Oblivion without content mods, I can state unequivocally and objectively that you are not a fan of video games. Perhaps you are a tinkerer or a wannabe programmer, but you certainly aren't a gamer.
Interesting, I though playing video games is what made me a gamer. Because that is literally what the word "gamer" means. Mhhh...
And you know what else? The reason I play video games is because I'm a fan of video games - If I wasn't, I wouldn't do it.

But I guess it would be fair to say I'm not a fan of TES, because the basic games just aren't very good.

EDIT:
AlCapowned: That's a horrible example. Film has never been an open medium like video games, and even though that is the case, fan edits exist.
Which reminds me that I've always wanted to watch the supposedly superior "The Phantom Edit" - anybody seen it?
Post edited May 05, 2013 by Fesin
Fesin: But I guess it would be fair to say I'm not a fan of TES, because the basic games just aren't very good.
It's nice how you're criticizing anjohl for bringing down your subjectivity, and then act as if TES games were objectively bad.
FraggingBard: Didn't release for Mac, they must be EA.

If you're going to make nonsense arguments, at least try and make it funny. I'm partial to ducks but meese would work too. If you use the word "meese" mind, "moose" isn't as funny by itself.
dirtyharry50: You'd do well to keep your day job as comedy doesn't seem to be your forte either.
Nah, I just make injokes so in that no-one gets the link between duck and nonsense argument. It's okay, not many get those jokes these days.
Fesin: But I guess it would be fair to say I'm not a fan of TES, because the basic games just aren't very good.
Fenixp: It's nice how you're criticizing anjohl for bringing down your subjectivity, and then act as if TES games were objectively bad.
1. You're the one who cirtized anjohl for this, I've never said anything in this regard.
2. While I could easily start an argument why I'm not a fan of the series right now, do I really have put "in my opinion" in front of anything I say, just to make it clear that I don't mean it objectively?