It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Part survival horror, part detective novel, part action, and part adventure--a must-have for fans of exciting thrillers and sublime story-telling.

Alan Wake, the psychological action thriller, is available now on GOG.com--and it’s on sale for 50% off for a week! That’s only $14.99 for the game and both DLCs until Tuesday, May 15th at 21.59 GMT.

From Remedy, developers of classic Death Rally and Max Payne 1 & 2, comes a third-person shooter described by its creators as combination of "the mind of a psychological thriller,” and "the body of a cinematic action game.” The player controls Alan Wake, author of popular detective fiction, who needs to find his wife in a perfect and fictional--yet nightmarish and dreadfully real--town of Bright Falls. The story is told in episodes in style similar to a mystery TV series, with each episode having its own plot but revealing new piece of the main puzzle as well. The story is filled with endless twists and cliffhangers, there are recap sequences at the beginning of a new episode, closing credits, and a lot of cinematic sequences--all of these combine to create a fantastic “film noir” atmosphere, unique to the world of PC horror games. Fans of The Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks, and Stephen King will find numerous references and inspirations while solving the mystery behind supernatural horrors that infest Bright Falls.

Mr. Wake will walk the streets, find clues, and talk to people during the day; he will fight various enemies during the night. Light is the main weapon in Alan’s fight against the town’s inhabitants who have been possessed by a darkness that transforms them into axe wielding murderers. Enemies are initially impervious to attack, and can only be harmed when exposed to light, coming from your flashlight, flare guns, flares, and environmental sources. Even if you’re not afraid of the dark, the game will keep you on your toes, and once the darkness creeps in you will not want to leave your safely lit havens.

Gripping suspense, intense action, great thriller storytelling, flawless design--yes, Alan Wake is a perfect game. Time magazine named it the best video game of the year, IGN awarded Alan Wake “Best Horror Game”, it has also received numerous nominations for “Best Narrative”, “Best Writing/Story”, and “Best Character” (for Alan Wake).

Grab Alan Wake for the next seven days for only $14.99--and get with the manual, wallpaper, and a number of videos and extra goodies (stay tuned for more extras soon) all for one great price! Expect other great games from Remedy coming in the very near future!
OneNight: Request to North American GoG users: what the hell data plan do you have that allows you to wave away an 8 Gb download with a mellow "but it's only $15, which is half price"?

I mean, sorry, but CD Projekt has competitors, but where on Earth do you get the free bandwidth that makes you stop laughing long enough to bother with the title, its relative merits, and so on? That's what I want to know.
I though Russian internet speeds and plans are usually considered to be pretty bad on a worldwide scale. 12 decimal Mbit/s for $13/month, no caps. Of course, I'm too cheap even for that, so I use an unprotected wifi for free (intermittent in the evening, picks up at night) and a $7/month 2G phone data plan for emergencies.

I use Firefox + DownThemAll! to download the games; I can switch off the PC and the download will resume next time I start Firefox.
OneNight: Request to North American GoG users: what the hell data plan do you have that allows you to wave away an 8 Gb download with a mellow "but it's only $15, which is half price"?

I mean, sorry, but CD Projekt has competitors, but where on Earth do you get the free bandwidth that makes you stop laughing long enough to bother with the title, its relative merits, and so on? That's what I want to know.
Does "free" mean "uncapped"? Do you mean most people in UK have capped internet connections?

There was this discussion in GOG what kind of internet connection and at what price people have. I still pay around 28.90€ a month which include both a 10Mbit/s ADSL connection, and a wireless (USB dongle) with 3G SIM, whose speed sometimes reached even over 10Mbit/s, or is anything below that, down to very slow 2G GPRS speeds.

Both are uncapped, no transfer limits in stone, but I'm sure there are some undocumented QoS or other parameters which may throttle downloads in some situations. For the mobile connection they even state p2p is not permitted with it, but it seems to work anyway, albeit only in "low ID" mode, ie. it is not performing quite optimally because there is no port forwarding or whatever. It would be silly to block it competely because p2p technology is used for lots of legitime purposes as well, even the Starcraft 2 BattleNet downloader seems to use it by default.

A forthnight ago I e.g. transferred Assassin's Creed (around 6.5 gigabytes I think) from GOG to my laptop over the mobile 3G connection (not using ADSL because I wasn't at home). No problems, it became quite speedily over night.
Post edited May 11, 2012 by timppu

Sounds like you need a better ISP? I live in the UK & large downloads aren't an issue for me. I currently use BE broadband (BE Unlimited)
bazilisek: You cannot turn off the notifications, but you can turn off the whole overlay.
Yeah, I know, but I like overlay - it's very useful. I turn it off for games where atmosphere is very important. It wouldn't bother me if x-fire overlay would be flawless.

I just wonder why they can't add this option. It seems that it would be easy and it would make plenty of customers happy.

Poland is behind UK in every report about quality of Internet connections, but in Poland download limits disappeared completely more than 5 years ago and I still see plenty of UK citizens that are talking about those limits.

I have Internet connections without any limits 2 GB/s for 20$ a month.
Post edited May 11, 2012 by Aver

Put it this way if you are buying digital copies of things, games music etc you need to factor in your bandwith / download quota. If it doesn't work for you buy it in a shop. I bet you will find a lot of people who don't have a download problem. I have 500GB a month before my speed gets reduced, I never hit it even if I try.

On the other hand there are costs in retail copies too. If you live a distance from the shop you have to pay for petrol, or public transport or postage for a mail order. Like all things you factor everything it in when you buy it or you just don't worry about it.

deonast: Put it this way if you are buying digital copies of things, games music etc you need to factor in your bandwith / download quota. If it doesn't work for you buy it in a shop. I bet you will find a lot of people who don't have a download problem. I have 500GB a month before my speed gets reduced, I never hit it even if I try.

On the other hand there are costs in retail copies too. If you live a distance from the shop you have to pay for petrol, or public transport or postage for a mail order. Like all things you factor everything it in when you buy it or you just don't worry about it.
And I still don't see a Retail copy of Alan Wake :) So 15$ for a game released what - 2months ago ...this is pretty sweet...

Go with Virgin Media, uncapped BB for each and every tier.
writer2036: This game reminds me of a modern day Silent Hill 1 minus the fog. Think I will be getting this one today.
This game has quite a bit of fog, actually. The fog rolling in is usually accompanied by mortal danger. ;-)

I'm really enjoying it so far. Just finished Episode 1 last night.
jalister: I really don't get the idea of achievements. I play to play, not to be told how to play. I don't mind the achievements that just come along naturally through playing, and actually provide some type of reward. However the ones that just say "You killed 1,000,000 peons" doesn't mean anything to me. And I can live without any achievements to have my games without DRM. What good are achievements if Steam goes away, or your internet is down?
Well actually I didn't buy it because of my long term unemployment and I was just seeing if someone was going to respond to the Steam thing :P
But I do actually like achievements, but the original ones. Like "Riding a turtle into a volcano" or something like that, not like that one for Dead Rising where you have to kill a gazillion zombies.
I like unlocks even more than achievements though, especially for things like shooting 100 (a lot anyway) pigeons in GTA4. For those I prefer it if it unlocks weapons and such, because I'm not going to spend fifty hours hunting them for a popup message.
I think this - together with a number of high-profile DRM free releases in recent months - is the start of the end of DRM. Alan Wake is an awesome game and my only regret is that I didn't anticipate this coming along before having broken my Steam embargo to play it.

Nonetheless, I've bought it off GOG together with American Nightmare thanks to a favourable exchange rate at the moment.
I guess I must be missing something, because I thought this game was horrible. I found it boring with zero suspense. Cheers to those who like it, because it clearly wasn't my cup of tea. =)
Post edited May 12, 2012 by Purebreed
I know this will sound like a crazy quite to many GOGites, but can you add this and American Nightmare to Steam? I'm thinking both of the achievements (which were mentioned a while ago in this thread) and also the friends leaderboards that will be in American Nightmare, which is being positioned as a big part of the appeal of the game.
Post edited May 13, 2012 by Export
Export: I know this will sound like a crazy quite to many GOGites, but can you add this and American Nightmare to Steam? I'm thinking both of the achievements (which were mentioned a while ago in this thread) and also the friends leaderboards that will be in American Nightmare, which is being positioned as a big part of the appeal of the game.
Nope you can't :) Same the other way... maybe someday when GOG buy Valve(Steam) :D
Export: I know this will sound like a crazy quite to many GOGites, but can you add this and American Nightmare to Steam? I'm thinking both of the achievements (which were mentioned a while ago in this thread) and also the friends leaderboards that will be in American Nightmare, which is being positioned as a big part of the appeal of the game.
spinefarm: Nope you can't :) Same the other way... maybe someday when GOG buy Valve(Steam) :D
Thanks for the quick reply (and I just noticed I wrote "quite" instead of "question", whoops...)
spinefarm: Nope you can't :) Same the other way... maybe someday when GOG buy Valve(Steam) :D
Export: Thanks for the quick reply (and I just noticed I wrote "quite" instead of "question", whoops...)
I can't see a reason why you couldn't add it to steam as a "non steam game". It might not work but it's worth a shot to try and see if it lets you do that.