It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
Niggles: Aside from Silver are any of the other games in the promo not available anywhere else drm free?
MulderYuffie: Not that I can recall thankfully. Sadly Silver may be lost forever in obscurity at this point. It was such a good game too I would gladly recommend it to anyone.
Even worse I never will get the German version of silver. In a review on youtube it sounds like Silver has the German voice of Nicolas Cage, so sad. :P
MulderYuffie: Not that I can recall thankfully. Sadly Silver may be lost forever in obscurity at this point. It was such a good game too I would gladly recommend it to anyone.
eiii: Even worse I never will get the German version of silver. In a review on youtube it sounds like Silver has the German voice of Nicolas Cage, so sad. :P
How sad. If you google "game silver", the GOG page for Silver is the third result.
http://www.gog.com/game/silver
low rated
Nordic's stance doesn't even remotely make sense.

They remove their games from GOG, due to GOG offering credit out of their own pocket to their users, when regionally priced games are more costly than the US pricing.

So if Nordic don't regionally price their games. There's no difference.

Fuck Nordic. Everyone scrambling to buy their games when they do something like this?

How about not buy any of their games. Period.
CrashNBrn: Nordic's stance doesn't even remotely make sense.

They remove their games from GOG, due to GOG offering credit out of their own pocket to their users, when regionally priced games are more costly than the US pricing.

So if Nordic don't regionally price their games. There's no difference.

Fuck Nordic. Everyone scrambling to buy their games when they do something like this?

How about not buy any of their games. Period.
You seem to have misread this topic completely.
It's not about regional pricing but about the new currency system.
I don't consider GamersGate too DRM friendly, though.

What bother me the most on GamersGate is:
1. If a game is available for Steam, they offer the Steam version instead of the DRM-free one most of the time.
2. Even if they offer both the Steam version and DRM-free version there is nothing to indicate that (it will just say: DRM - Steamworks).
3. Their DRM-free filter isn't very reliable. While it really only shows DRM-free games when applied, it also filters several other DRM-free games at the same time, so you will generally only be seeing a part of them. Very easy to miss some.
4. Games are often never updated after their first release. So if there are patches later on, you usually won't get them. I have several games that have been updated on Steam and HumbleBundle but not on GamersGate.

But if you just consider GamersGate to get Titan Quest DRM-free then I can recommend it. Works just fine!

Regarding "I didn't know there are other DRM-free stores", I would personally recommend Humble Store instead. Unlike GG, it's 100% reliable. When it says DRM-free it always offers a direct download and when you filter for DRM-free it really shows you exactly all the games that have a direct download available. Plus it almost always offers a DRM-free version of a game if it's available DRM-free at all.

But I still prefer GoG above all, even if it wasn't cheaper. It's simply even more reliable than HumbleStore and you only see DRM-free games by default. Plus the support here is much better (HS doesn't have any forums, only way to contact support is by mail which often takes weeks until it is replied to).

I stopped buying on GG ever since I was able to buy on GoG without credit card. I use HumbleStore for games I really want and which are not available on GoG (like Freedom Planet).
IAmSinistar: Some of the last known stockpiles of the lost games are being assembled here. Though frankly I'd rather these games return to GOG than personally be one of the few sources for them.
aye, gents, thar real. y'never see un' if s'much as blink! but thar there for the attentive, lads. they travel on whispers and float in the ether. but no goglodyte with a penny of sense would deny the feel of their awesome weight on these dim, grey seas. they say that if yer lucky, and it be holiday time when the world is chock full o magic, the skies may smile upon yah and ye'll catch one! but just as likely it'll just be an empty whisper, a promise unfulfilled of a treasure beyond any's ability to comprehend. just flashin' on past in the dim an greyin' light. and what flash be that? what whisper? what nameless, formless, precious and secret mysticals be they eh? the golden keys of the lost games.
Why are some of you guys blaming GOG? They are holding the principle. Shouldn't we all support them after they got rid their Same Price Everywhere principle instead of (at least some of us) blaming GOG for that? If the price of maintaining that very principle is to lose some games then so be it - it's a sacrifice for greater good.

I really can't understand this community.
zeroxxx: Why are some of you guys blaming GOG? They are holding the principle. Shouldn't we all support them after they got rid their Same Price Everywhere principle instead of (at least some of us) blaming GOG for that? If the price of maintaining that very principle is to lose some games then so be it - it's a sacrifice for greater good.

I really can't understand this community.
because gOg have implemented regional pricing, but calculating it in a very roundabout way which do not make sense and not fit in with what others do, so the prices between stores are not the same. If gOg had implemented regional pricing the same way as the others, but still had the store credits or whatnots, this may not have been an issue. The issue here is not whether gOg have regional pricing or not (they now have), but the way it is implemented.
Post edited September 03, 2014 by amok
IronArcturus: What's going on? Why is GOG losing so many games? :(
G-Doc: The original news post is not that detailed, so I suppose some further explanation is needed. Our aim was to give you - as always - best possible DRM-Free digital distribution platform, focused on the people who use it. We believe in freedom of choice and fair treatment for all. For that reason, as we're introducing local currency payments, we're following the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, in other words, that 1:1 currency exchange rate for digital goods prices make absolutely no sense and are not fair to the buyers.

For that reason, along with the local currency payment option, we're starting to use our own pricing scheme that brings the value of non-US Dollar prices as close to their actual equivalents as we can help it. A game with $5.99 price tag - for example - will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 Pounds Sterling, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively.

Now, this is not your standard approach to pricing - just like our DRM-Free policy is not a standard approach to digital goods ownership. We did our best - and so did all of our partners, to keep all of the games in our catalog and offer them in the pricing scheme we've figured out, that we think is fair to all of you guys. Unfortunately, some of our developer and publisher friends had other obligations that made it impossible to reach a common ground. So, despite our combined efforts, the only sensible thing left to do, was to withdraw the problematic titles from our offer for the time being.

We know this is quite a radical step, and we're sorry if this causes you any concern. We do hope, that we'll figure this out in the future and will be able to re-introduce all these games to the GOG.com offer. There's definitely the will to do that on both ours, and our partners' side. For the time being, they've been kind enough to offer you a last chance to get the games we're removing from sales with a nice discount, so they can remain in your collections regardless of their future fate on GOG.com.

I hope this puts things into proper perspective, and clears out at least most of your questions.
Well, I'm glad we have a more detailed explanation to understand what's going on. Still sucks to be losing so many games though.
ThomNG: Dear GOG Community,

first of all I have to say that it is so great to see that "grown-up" attitude and how objectively the whole topic was discussed. It is a pleasure being part of the GOG.com community (both as a gamer and as a publisher's representative). Here is our statement on this matter:

At Nordic Games, we treasure all the strong and long-dated partnerships with our offline- and online retail partners equally. We believe and aim for an equal treatment between the digital, and the boxed versions of all our games and among said partners.

The decision to remove certain games from the gog.com platform was not an easy one. Gog.com and Nordic simply were not able to reach a mutual agreement at the moment. We considered several aspects and implications thereof, while also staying true to our equal treatment principles towards all of our partners worldwide.

However, this decision does not affect our company’s viewpoint on the following subject areas:
- We like the gog.com folks and we will continue to work together with gog.com on selected games
- We unrestrictedly share gog.com’s stance on DRM-free versions and we will keep releasing DRM-free and/or widely accepted DRM versions of our games.
- Our own equal treatment principles remain coherent; we do not want to put one of our partners in a special place and cause a stir with other partners

What do we mean with the last point exactly?
Given gog.com’s decision to aim for an exchange-rate orientated pricing would leave us in the unenviable position of constantly having to adapt our pricings in all territories on- and offline to ensure an equal treatment. As exchange rates are very dynamic in nature with the potential of shifting rapidly, and given our network of more than 100 off- and online partners, this will result in a significant amount of extra time and work. For a company of our size, this can result in a non-manageable effort and will heavily impact our work hours, which we would like to dedicate to all the great games in our pipeline (such as The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, SpellForce 3, The Guild 3, MX vs. ATV Supercross and many more), rather than constantly adapting our global pricing structure.

We are aware that this decision might lead to raised eyebrows amongst certain members of the gaming community, but it had to be made and we as a company adhere to it.

With playful and gaming regards,

Nordic Games
Glad we have an explanation about what happened so we understand better. Still sucks to be losing so many games. I didn't realize Nordic Games have a DRM-Free policy. Where else might I be able to find their games? I tried their website, but it seems to be European only store.
Post edited September 03, 2014 by Catmancer
amok: ...so the prices between stores are not the same.
I thought the whole point of free market and competition is to have different prices.
amok: ...so the prices between stores are not the same.
mobutu: I thought the whole point of free market and competition is to have different prices.
It works when shops buy stock and then re-sell it. Digital distribution do not work like this as there is no stock. Instrad each retailer sell on behalf of the publisher, taking % of the cut of the sale. In this scenario, it is in the publishers interest to be on as many retailers as possible for increased visibility. If one retailer messes up things on the publishers bahalf and undercut the others, it makes sense for other retailers to no longer deal with that publisher (it do not bring them any income). .. if that makes any sense.

Nordic want to have an equal partnership with all it's partners, so when gOg shifts as it does they have to make that choice.
Catmancer: Glad we have an explanation about what happened so we understand better. Still sucks to be losing so many games. I didn't realize Nordic Games have a DRM-Free policy. Where else might I be able to find their games? I tried their website, but it seems to be European only store.
You can find most of their games on ShinyLoot. You don't need a client to download them, almost all of them are DRM-free (but there are some exceptions, Red Faction Armageddon for example is just a Steam key) and some of them are even cheaper then they were on GOG (e.g. Dark Fall 1 + 2, Summoner, Desperados, Chaser).

amok: Nordic want to have an equal partnership with all it's partners, so when gOg shifts as it does they have to make that choice.
That's why many of their games are cheaper on ShinyLoot ($4.99 or 4.95 instead of $5.99)? The whole thing still doesn't make very much sense to me.
Post edited September 03, 2014 by PaterAlf
amok: Nordic want to have an equal partnership with all it's partners, so when gOg shifts as it does they have to make that choice.
PaterAlf: That's why many of their games are cheaper on ShinyLoot ($4.99 or 4.95 instead of $5.99)? The whole thing still doesn't make very much sense to me.
and maybe that's part of the problem? gOg do not want those price points?
amok: because gOg have implemented regional pricing, but calculating it in a very roundabout way which do not make sense and not fit in with what others do, so the prices between stores are not the same. If gOg had implemented regional pricing the same way as the others, but still had the store credits or whatnots, this may not have been an issue. The issue here is not whether gOg have regional pricing or not (they now have), but the way it is implemented.
But GoG really hasn't implemented regional pricing. It looks like regional pricing to the developers and other online retailers, so makes them happy and prevents more of them from pulling games out of the catalog. But since GoG is giving store credit back to you to make up the difference, for the consumer, i.e. us, there is no regional pricing after the store credit is counted. It really is a win for everybody.

And the reason GoG can't implement it in the traditional way is us! We complained loudly when GoG said they were going to regionally price for new releases, and GoG ended up promising us store credit for the difference.
RWarehall: But GoG really hasn't implemented regional pricing.
no they didnt, but they prepared the website to implement it if they want. i see no other reason for offering different currencies.