It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Navagon: Sandbox shooters might have great potential to beat corridor shooters. But there's a lot more that can go wrong and a substantial lack of scripted action to compensate for.
Well, they're using different tools to catch players attention. I see them both like subgenres to the old (dungeon-like) kind of FPS - Doom, Blood, ect.

And about sandbox shooters, it's not that bad. Stalkers, Far Cry 2, Boiling point, Xenus, precursors and just cause/gta if you don't mind merge them with TPS.

It's ok, i just need to say something about that :)
Bodkin: Well, they're using different tools to catch players attention. I see them both like subgenres to the old (dungeon-like) kind of FPS - Doom, Blood, ect.

And about sandbox shooters, it's not that bad. Stalkers, Far Cry 2, Boiling point, Xenus, precursors and just cause/gta if you don't mind merge them with TPS.

It's ok, i just need to say something about that :)
Technically FPS is already a subgenre. But yeah, open world FPS are a different breed, that's for sure.

Far Cry 2 was almost universally good - if it wasn't for the fact that the game constantly rained generic shoot-on-sight enemies down upon you. I still completed it and I liked the ending. But I can't think about that game without remembering the constant torrent of enemies pouring out of everywhere. I must have killed half the populace by myself.

Ultimately Far Cry 2 serves to highlight exactly what I was talking about when it comes to poor substitution for scripted action.

Boiling Point's flaws are the stuff of legend. The change logs are comedy gold. White Gold is pretty good overall. Some polish and a proper translation and it would be a very, very good game indeed.

Precursors has the same shortcomings, is a bit more polished but doesn't seem to have much of an ending to say the least. If those two were properly fixed up and finished then I'd actually buy them again for sure. But as it stands they just highlight the other problem common in open world FPS - unfinished buggy games.
And back on track again

Update:
VtM:B
VtM:M
Fallout 1
Dawn of War 2: Default campaign
Supreme Commander 2.
Dawn of War 1 Default campaign
Two Worlds 2
Dragon Age 2
Jade Empire SE
Venetica

And now:
WAZZAL (was ok nothing to write home about)
Driftmoon Alpha 4 (This game is great)
reaver894: How do you finish The Sims? I thought that it was like Port Royale 2 in that it never ended or Transport Tycoon which I once left running in just a 1 player till about the year 3000
My last Sim died childless. The game asked if I wanted to play another household in town, create a new Sim, or end the game. I chose end.
Post edited April 11, 2011 by Syme
reaver894: How do you finish The Sims? I thought that it was like Port Royale 2 in that it never ended or Transport Tycoon which I once left running in just a 1 player till about the year 3000
Syme: My last Sim died childless. The game asked if I wanted to play another household in town, create a new Sim, or end the game. I chose end.
I see. Though technically is that not loosing the game? :-P
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP). Started it back when I bought my PSP, then stopped just before the final battle, for some reason. Plot is second only to Planescape: Torment, by the way.

Original War (PC). An interesting concept, although I don't think I can be bothered to finish more than one campaign.
Deus Ex GOTY Edition.
I can remeber back in 2002-2003 when I first played the game, I was like: "WTF is this crap?!"
Now I think it's one of the most awsome games I've ever played.
Sam & Max 102: Situation: Comedy [PC]

Second episode feels just right as the second episode in a series. A little funnier than the first, recurring characters, and a 2-hour length that comes off as an easy-to-swallow silly adventure game. Also leaves on a point that suggests that the entire season indeed has its own theme and continuity. On to the third episode!
A few more to add to my list from the last page:

Mega Man X8
Justice League Heroes
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (effin' terrific!)
And now for something smaller: Half-Life: Blue Shift.

Pretty disappointing compared to HL and OpFor.

Games finished so far:
World of Goo, Samorost 1 and 2, Gish, Arcanum: of Steamworks & Magick Obscura, Tron 2.0, Beneath a Steel Sky, Lugaru HD, Enclave, Chrome: Specforce, Half-Life: Blue Shift.
Just Finished Fist of the North Star Kens Rage, Great game though It did drag after doing dreammode with some of the last characters (About 65hrs in). Did enjoy the story had a few twists I wasnt expecting(never watched the manga nor ever have any for that matter)

Jagi is now officially my fav bad guy in a video game his mannerisms in contrast to the rest of the characters makes it that much more entertaining.

Next in line Rango ive played for like 2 hrs and im about 40% through the game lol.

I also picked up Clive Barkers Undying for 75p! so Im going to finish that game which I didnt get to when I originally had the game all those years ago as my hard drive failed and I lost the data.
Finished Darksiders yesterday and I must say it was a wonderfull game. I greatly enjoyed it : good music & voices, great gameplay, good story...

I disliked the boss combat against the Stygian and had a few slowdowns in the later parts of the game. Except that, it was a good play.
I forgot to update my list after beating my last game, so I decided to do it right now.

1. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West- Xbox 360; 1/10/2011 8.5/10
2. God of War- PS3; 2/4/2011 8/10
3. Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 1- PS3; 2/13/2011 6.5/10
4. Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 1- PS3; 2/22/2011 8.5/10
5. Dash and the Stolen Treasure- PC; 2/26/2011 7.5/10
6. Streets of Rage Remake- PC; 2/27/2011 6/10
7. Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 2- PS3; 3/1/2011 7/10
8. Fight Night Champion- PS3; 3/7/2011 8/10
9. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi- PC; 3/9/2011 8/10
10. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare- PS3: 3/23/2011 5.5/10
11. Pokemon White (main story)- DS: 3/24/2011 9.5/10
12. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (Both Story Modes)- PS3: 4/8/2011 3.5/10- The rating is for the story mode alone not the actual gameplay (which I would give a 7/10 for overall)... I mean it was insanely boring, poorly written garbage that followed the exact same pattern over & over again (Get attacked by a Raging "friend", Knock them out, stare at their unconcious body lamenting about the attack, Get attacked by a rival, Knock them out, Brag about kicking their ass, REPEAT).
Post edited April 15, 2011 by Roberttitus
Mafia II. A very good game. Excellent in every way, save for shitty often misplaced checkpoint saves and total lack of the awesomeness of the free ride mode.
Update:
VtM:B
VtM:M
Fallout 1
Dawn of War 2: Default campaign
Supreme Commander 2.
Dawn of War 1 Default campaign
Two Worlds 2
Dragon Age 2
Jade Empire SE
Venetica
WAZZAL