It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Let's do the time warp again*!

Welcome to our [url=http://www.gog.com]DRM-Free Time Machine Sale! Fasten your seatbelts and prepare for a fascinating ride to the early days of PC gaming and back again, with 30 excellent titles selected from the years 1983-2013, available up to 90% off (that is for as little as $0.59!). You'll find amazing games in amazing prices featured one by one on GOG.com main page, and before the sale is done you'll be able to complete your very own display of gaming history on a budget below $65 (because this would be the cost to get every single game in the sale). Are you ready?

<iframe width="590" height="322" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6_uC01QztBg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's more than just buying games incredibly cheap to our DRM-Free Time Machine Sale! We're ready to pass its steering wheel (or rather the control console) to YOU. Each game in the sale is offered for a limited time only, and how long we stay in its year is up to you! Each time you see a new game on sale you can vote to either add or subtract 1 second from the timer. Each time you buy a game, you add 3 seconds to the time of it being on sale. We begin with 1983's Zork, bundled with the rest of the Zork Anthology of 6 games in total, for only $1.79. How long will it last on the front page? You'll be the judge. What comes next, as the game of 1984? Let's find out!

Let's take a trip in GOG.com's DRM-Free Time Machine Sale! 30 great games from 1983-2013 will be available up to 90% off, and you get to decide how long each game is on sale. Ready? The technomagical gateway to 1983 opens NOW!

* "Again?", you might ask, "when did they ever do the time warp?". Well, once you embark on a journey through time, all becomes relevant and there's absolutely no guarantee that what you are doing, you are doing for the first time. In fact, that's highly improbable. After all, time isn't linear. It's more like a giant wobbly-bobbly goggy-boggy ball of gaming awesome!
Post edited January 28, 2014 by G-Doc
flanner: 1000 points question for all:

have you ever bought any gog game for normal (full) price? :-)
Yes. Lots of them, actually. I tend to look for deals during sales, but I usually avoid the general "oh, I don't really want this game, but I might as well buy it at this price" sentiment that drives most people during sales and promos. I'd be lying if I said I didn't buy some games during sales or even that I didn't get some titles for free, whenever the chance presented itself, but I always did so when they were titles I really wanted to play.

I have 79 games on GOG, as of now, and though it isn't much, more than 70% of those were bought for normal/full price. I also gifted some games I really love, and I more than gladly payed the same full price, because I think the usual $5 or $10 are more than fair for the quality of the games. Some of the games I payed full price for were Arcanum, Anachronox, Tiny & Big, Nox, Planecsape: Torment, The Cat Lady, Beyond Good & Evil, Sanitarium, Broken Sword 5, both Guilty Gears (even though, sadly, X2 #Reload was just removed from the GOG catalog due to legal issues), all three Oddworld titles I own (Abe's Oddysee, Abe's Exoddus and Stranger's Wrath), Earthworm Jim 1+2, MDK and MDK 2, Gabriel Knight, Deadly Premonition and a few others. And, yes, do mind I gifted a lot of these at full price.

groze: Yes. Lots of them, actually. I tend to look for deals during sales, but I usually avoid the general "oh, I don't really want this game, but I might as well buy it at this price" sentiment that drives most people during sales and promos. I'd be lying if I said I didn't buy some games during sales or even that I didn't get some titles for free, whenever the chance presented itself, but I always did so when they were titles I really wanted to play.

I have 79 games on GOG, as of now, and though it isn't much, more than 70% of those were bought for normal/full price. I also gifted some games I really love, and I more than gladly payed the same full price, because I think the usual $5 or $10 are more than fair for the quality of the games. Some of the games I payed full price for were Arcanum, Anachronox, Tiny & Big, Nox, Planecsape: Torment, The Cat Lady, Beyond Good & Evil, Sanitarium, Broken Sword 5, both Guilty Gears (even though, sadly, X2 #Reload was just removed from the GOG catalog due to legal issues), all three Oddworld titles I own (Abe's Oddysee, Abe's Exoddus and Stranger's Wrath), Earthworm Jim 1+2, MDK and MDK 2, Gabriel Knight, Deadly Premonition and a few others. And, yes, do mind I gifted a lot of these at full price.
I typically maintain the "wishlist" in my head, and when something comes up on a sale, it gets officially added to my backlog. I'm still behind, but at least the pressure on the backlog pipe isn't lacking.

I'm always wondering though, how the royalty structure is working on the older games. Clearly for the new games it's evident the original dev team is reaping the benefits. But for those titles "out of print" for years now - what's the royalty structure like? Is making a purchase during a sale really going to hurt the barely-scraping-by t-shirt wearing dev if you consider i might be swayed to purchase full price if i knew there'd be a royalty check hitting someone's lightly lined pocket (rather than some publishing house which might care more about copies sold vs. total revenue).

I suggest an experiment: Included with all the information on the game card/pages, toss in the money trail on the games, on a percentage basis, per unit (or some creative way if it's a tiered structure), so we can see what the publishers and devs get (or don't get). Even if GOG calculated the figures after taking into account their distribution fee (in case that's a CD-PROJEKT political no-no), it'd still be interesting. And i might be swayed to pull a trigger sooner rather than thinking "nice to see that one pop up on GOG! that'll be on sale in 3 months or so, and i can wait".
Post edited January 31, 2014 by petegall79
Sure, e.g. Fallout, Legend of Grimrock and Don't Starve.

GRID because it was for my son's birthday. The day after it went on sale during xmas sale and I was kind of miffed but no regrets. He loves everything I have gotten him from here and I have an excuse to buy myself something in turn. Just picked up DX GOTY in the Time Machine for myself and Outlast for my kid.
Arghmage: I have to confess that most games that I'm buying are sales prices, because some normal prices are IMHO too high and I don't like that game THAT much. But some games did I buy for full price.
Nothing wrong with that, a purchase is profit rendered whether it is full price or a sale except for loss leads and special promos but they too are designed to increase profit one way or another. Also, the entire gaming industry including developers, publishers, distributors, marketers know that they can make more money from games by artificially inflating the regular prices normally and then putting things on sale every so often because it triggers an emotional response in people to think you're getting a special deal. Some retailers mark up their prices very significantly normally. Search for prices for the Logitech G27 steering wheel system for example and you'll find the official recommended price is $299 from Logitech, but you'll see retailers offering it for anywhere from $210 to $399 regular, with the ones selling it for $399 sometimes putting it on sale for $299 to give the illusion of a good deal from people who only shop there and never venture to other retailers or sites like pricegrabber, pricematch or shopbot.ca.

I'm of the opinion that one should never pay a cent more than they have to unless they feel some other motivation for doing so (whatever it might be), and as a result I almost never pay full retail price for anything except perhaps food. Sales, price negotiation, pricematching, coupons, barter, whatever works. The less of an absolute immediate necessity something is and the more whimsical desire it is, the less likely I am to pay a high upfront price as it's easy to just wait until it shows up somewhere on discount and get it then. When it comes to games, I have a good sized back catalogue of stuff that'll keep me entertained for eons, so I've no huge motivation to pay full price for much of anything, especially when almost everything goes on sale 8 times a month and in bundles, etc. nowadays.

Having said all of that.... The Witcher 3. Ok... I very well may pay full price for that, or close to it when it comes out. They've got me hanging in anticipation, wallet open and pointed upside down with cash falling out and landing in the pool of spit drool on the floor... Sorry for the visual there, but I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking too. :)

Sure, last one was Silent Service 1+2.
It happens less often now than when I joined but it's mostly because I have less money and a huge backlog.
low rated
Poor sale, no encore, no repeats and time slots were not fixed, I missed out on 2 games and nobody coughed up and said hey we can get that for you while you sleep. GOG can do way better than this...
eupawel: YES... my 1st GOG game - Duke Nukem 3D... :| ...

I'M also curious... ?
Marci87: 2012: Legend of Grimrock - $2.24 (85% off)
2013: Spelunky - $3.74 (75% off)
Thanks =]
CelestialBunny: Poor sale, no encore, no repeats and time slots were not fixed, I missed out on 2 games and nobody coughed up and said hey we can get that for you while you sleep. GOG can do way better than this...
Did you ask "pretty please"? :P
CelestialBunny: Poor sale, no encore, no repeats and time slots were not fixed, I missed out on 2 games and nobody coughed up and said hey we can get that for you while you sleep. GOG can do way better than this...
You snooze you lose.

The sale was a cool and novel idea in my opinion. There are some games I missed out on that I would've liked, but I also picked up some new games for great prices so can't complain :).

One of the best things about the sale is that it puts the spotlight on one game. Other sales might put like 30 things on sale and you don't know what to get but when there's just one game you can check it out and say yea/nay. Interesting sale dynamic anyway that I found more engaging that your average "here's a bunch of stuff you can buy" sale.
Akalabeth: One of the best things about the sale is that it puts the spotlight on one game. Other sales might put like 30 things on sale and you don't know what to get but when there's just one game you can check it out and say yea/nay. Interesting sale dynamic anyway that I found more engaging that your average "here's a bunch of stuff you can buy" sale.
Now this I wholeheartedly agree with!
We had a better system in place for covering each other's wishlists during Insomnia, though that became less of an issue once the sale hit its third repetition. I would like to do something like that again should we have another "Big Event" sale of this nature.
I think the sale was a nice idea but badly implemented. IMO, it should had happened during the weekend. I only got the games I really wanted (TR and DX) because I got sick and was at home, otherwise I'd had missed the sale almost entirely (and those 2 games) because I only have internet access when I'm at home. Maybe this is not an issue for most of GOG customers but I wish I could had gotten another games like S&M, Unepic. Oh, well,...c'est la vie. I won't die if I don't get another game :)
flambeau: I think the sale was a nice idea but badly implemented. IMO, it should had happened during the weekend. I only got the games I really wanted (TR and DX) because I got sick and was at home, otherwise I'd had missed the sale almost entirely (and those 2 games) because I only have internet access when I'm at home. Maybe this is not an issue for most of GOG customers but I wish I could had gotten another games like S&M, Unepic. Oh, well,...c'est la vie. I won't die if I don't get another game :)
I initially misread the statement above :
and before the sale is done you'll be able to complete your very own display of gaming history on a budget below $65
to mean that there was going to be a final sale where all the titles from the sale would be up simultaneously, but that never happened. If it helps any, I only picked up Serious Sam 1 for $.59. There were some titles that went by (Zork Anthology, Space Quest, SimCity 2000, etc) that I already owned as well.
Akalabeth: One of the best things about the sale is that it puts the spotlight on one game. Other sales might put like 30 things on sale and you don't know what to get but when there's just one game you can check it out and say yea/nay. Interesting sale dynamic anyway that I found more engaging that your average "here's a bunch of stuff you can buy" sale.
Especially with the thread chatter solely focused on each game as it comes up. It's like a hundred mini-reviews all at the same time. :D