It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All-new Witcher 3 gameplay trailer, pre-orders launch; GOG.com unveils GOG Galaxy, the DRM-Free Online Gaming platform!

All-new The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay footage, pre-order details, and a look at the exclusive content of the collector's edition. GOG.com unveils its upcoming new project taking a next step in the DRM-Free gaming revolution. All that and more in the CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Summer Conference. Watch it right here!
Post edited June 04, 2014 by G-Doc
IAmSinistar: It would be nice for Judas to mark this as In Progress, just to make people go apeshit. :)
Matruchus: Good one! ROFL :)

I actually voted on this long time ago :)
As the comments say, someone should just crowdsource it. That's plausible right?
OneFiercePuppy: It's kinda self-explanatory. I thought GOG would have mentioned something about it by now, but apparently not. It's been weeks.
Matruchus: So TeT left gog then? There was nothing mentioned about it anywhere.
I won't believe it until I see an announcement. He's probably just really busy with stuff and doesn't have time to post on the forums. (Plus he was on the Twitch stream like a month or less ago! [iirc])
Ahh curses, the stream starts at 6am my time and I got a lecture that day.
So many decisions!
tfishell: I won't believe it until I see an announcement. He's probably just really busy with stuff and doesn't have time to post on the forums. (Plus he was on the Twitch stream like a month or less ago! [iirc])
Yeah Im not sure about it. This is the first time I heard this and don't really believe it.

Can any gog employee clear this up?
Post edited June 04, 2014 by Matruchus
tfishell: I won't believe it until I see an announcement. He's probably just really busy with stuff and doesn't have time to post on the forums. (Plus he was on the Twitch stream like a month or less ago! [iirc])
Matruchus: Yeah Im not sure about it. This is the first time I heard this and don't really believe it.

To be fair, if I personally worked anywhere near GOG, I'd probably just be kicking it with Mike Pondsmith, rolling dice. :)
Matruchus: Yeah Im not sure about it. This is the first time I heard this and don't really believe it.

budejovice: To be fair, if I personally worked anywhere near GOG, I'd probably just be kicking it with Mike Pondsmith, rolling dice. :)
Yeah they are all probably sleeping as should I really afterall its 1.10 am here :) Good night all.
Post edited June 04, 2014 by Matruchus
GOG.com: GOG.com unveils its upcoming new project taking a next step in the DRM-Free gaming revolution.
Okay, this edit to me confirms that it is actually game-related, not a different media like BJ suggested.
Looks like he really is leaving:

http://crowdtamers.com/about/about-trevor/marketing-maestro-for-hire
jkiiskinen: Looks like he really is leaving:

The ArmA games are going to be removed, now T is leaving, dammit....

Wow. :(
Damn that sucks.
I really hoped he is just busy with other stuff.

And now my site broke down and won't even load properly. Bad signs everywhere.
KaelAlucard: Ahh curses, the stream starts at 6am my time and I got a lecture that day.
So many decisions!
I have my last exam today so I'll have to try and stay up till 0400 to watch it :)

Appreciate the confirmation link. That's sad, but hopefully not for him or the rest of the team. Best wishes on the road ahead for T.
Post edited June 05, 2014 by budejovice
Ebany: True, but the ones with a smaller budget, less renown actors, or cheaper CGI almost always remain on the fringes eating the left overs.
Actually it's often the reverse - when a big budget film crashes, it can kill its studio (just like a failed AAA game can ruin a game studio). Besides, I'm not talking about expensive effect versus cheap effects, I'm talking about films that are all effects versus films that are all story. Throwing around $250000 of computer-generated eye candy doesn't make a film automatically good, and the same principle applies to gaming.

I understand the hardware subhobby of the gaming community. There are folks who enjoy building high-horsepower rigs, and of course they want games that push those to the limit. But a lot of GOG folks are about the games rather than the tech specs. I know I derive a lot more pleasure from well-told story or a clever play mechanic than from purely visual realism.

Ebany: Don't get me wrong, there are many old titles which could hold my interest for up to 20 minutes, but I want GoG to survive and thrive ......... can you honestly say that would happen if they spend all their time on old Amiga games?
GOG would not have to devote all their time to getting Amiga games on here. Much of the work is already done for them via emulation. I'm sure GOG would devote whatever time is proportional to the return. This isn't their first rodeo. :)

Matruchus: TeT or TheEnigmaticT - Trevor Longino - gog spokeperson for ages, pr guy, Officialy Head of Marketing and PR on gog.com
Well fook. So this is the departure they hinted at a while ago. :(
Post edited June 04, 2014 by IAmSinistar
Ebany: True, but the ones with a smaller budget, less renown actors, or cheaper CGI almost always remain on the fringes eating the left overs.
IAmSinistar: Actually it's often the reverse - when a big budget film crashes, it can kill its studio (just like a failed AAA game can ruin a game studio). Besides, I'm not talking about expensive effect versus cheap effects, I'm talking about films that are all effects versus films that are all story. Throwing around $250000 of computer-generated eye candy doesn't make a film automatically good, and the same principle applies to gaming.

Ebany: Don't get me wrong, there are many old titles which could hold my interest for up to 20 minutes, but I want GoG to survive and thrive ......... can you honestly say that would happen if they spend all their time on old Amiga games?
IAmSinistar: I don't get this kind of bluster ("there are many old titles which could hold my interest for up to 20 minutes"), especially on a site largely devoted to old gaming. Is there something inherently impressive about only liking new games with high hardware requirements? Are you a more "real" gamer because you can run Crysis at 60 FPS?

And you are also missing the point that GOG would not have to devote all their time to getting Amiga games on here. Much of the work is already done for them via emulation. I'm sure GOG would devote whatever time is proportional to the return. This isn't their first rodeo. :)

Ebany: Not to mention the fact there's a ton of Indie clones on almost every old game ever made.
IAmSinistar: I suspect you just don't get what it is we love about these games, be they Amiga, DOS, or other.
While you make good points, most of this relates to our individual POV.

I might say I love Serenity because of the awesome CGI and attention to detail/physics, you might say you love The Constant Gardener because of the in-depth character development and realism. End game is they're opinions developed around our tastes.

What I'm trying to say is;

Regardless of how much we all enjoy the authentic taste of old games, it's actually GoG's DRM-Free game ethics which hold the highest appeal to the majority of consumers here. I love old games, but I love GoG's morally correct methods of retail more so I want to see them thrive.

GoG has come to an impasse. The old games which are easily acquired have dried up, and since they're a company who need to make money in order to provide services to us, trying to dredge up more archaic games is simply not economical.

To solve this GoG must evolve.

Hence my original question: Do you believe GoG can continue to grow by attempting to acquire these hard-2-get old games?

I say "no!", they will shrivel and die, become a footnote in history explaining why we should never attempt selling DRM-Free idea's. I don't know about you but I've invested far too much money into GoG's dream just to see them dissolve (or worse, get bought out by Valve\Uplay\MS\EA) because of delusions they can continue down the same retail path for ever, it's not sustainable.

What GoG need to do is expand their focus: Partner with Kickstarter ideas, retail Game/Movie OST, retail comics/ebook, retail Android software, make a Witcher MMO, basically anything which keeps them alive suits me ....... so long as they remain DRM-Free.