It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Saints row - gat[kinzie] out of hell

same as sr4, shame I can't dress kinzie up ^^
timppu: Damn this mission to hell. And fuck all those online walkthroughs giving completely bogus advices that don't work in practise. Or maybe they do, if you play in the Easy level.
You are just going to ADORE the last mission of the expansion!
Seems I have dug my teeth into Rebel Galaxy for good. I have now reached the second system. I'm now considering what I do with my ship. Buy something bigger and badder or not. I've made a lot of easy money by doing blockade runs, which worked probably to well because I didn't upgrade after the first time. So I still have a "very fast" ship and I mostly just avoid battle with the blockade ships.

There are of course some big and fast ships - but those are complete unaffordable at the current stage of the game.
coryrj1995: Just started Morrowind... again :P
Oh my... I tried playing that as an Argonian and it felt like he was JarJar Binks walking around. Very expansive and immersive environment though!
Post edited February 15, 2016 by GeneticsLuke
I am getting my azz kicked in NWN2 Mask Of The Betrayer. I finished NWN1 with all expansions. NWN2 OC and dont remember having that kind of challenge except instant kill spells in NWN1. Almost every fight is a challenge in MotB with every monster being "impossible" . How am I supposed to kill 8 impossible creature? Oh well I will figure it out. That reminds me some tough fights in Baldur's Gate Series.
Been on a Mount & Blade kick lately. I played it (the original) for about seven hours straight on Sunday. Kinda one of those things where, after the fact, you're partly amazed, partly impressed, and mostly disgusted with yourself later. Like when you eat an entire pizza by yourself in one sitting. :P

I've also played a bit of Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup and Spelunky (freeware version) lately, mostly while I'm listening to music or a podcast and can't think of anything I want to read or look at on the web while I do so. Both are great for that.

I've also made some definite progress in Terraria v1.2.4.1 lately, inching closer to hardmode with my secondary (mediumcore) character (and actually doing a little construction, and even some much-needed (and much-dreaded) organizing of stuff in my chests.

I feel like I should get back to Morrowind, or at least make a little more progress in Unreal, but...meh.
timppu: Damn this mission to hell. And fuck all those online walkthroughs giving completely bogus advices that don't work in practise. Or maybe they do, if you play in the Easy level.
Bookwyrm627: You are just going to ADORE the last mission of the expansion!
I just checked what a walkthrough says about that mission, and while they do rate the difficulty as 10/10, it seems manageable as long as the trick mentioned in the walkthrough really works, ie. there is a spot near Hades hull where you are safe from both Hades turrets and enemy fighters, and can kill it slowly from there, providing you have first disabled Hades.

In fact that sounds a lot what I am trying to do to Lucifer, ie. hoping to be able to kill its two engines, and then find a safe hiding spot near its hull to destroy it. However, maybe my main gripes about the mission at this point are (not sure if these are applicable also to the Hades mission?):

- You have no shields whatsoever, meaning that every hit from enemy fighters or autoturrets will severely lower your chances of winning. You can't try to eat up the damage and let your shields recharge. The autoturrets are damn precise so I have no idea how I am supposed to destroy e.g. the engines with Harbingers, without getting hit myself constantly. Oh and those rocket launchers, I run out of countermeasures very fast while trying to avoid them.

- The last mission depends on the earlier mission, so if you want to change any of your ships or weapons for a different strategy, you have to replay the earlier mission too. And any wingmen you lose in that mission, are lost also in the last mission.

As I now learned that the last mission isn't really doable without you doing the bombing run yourself with Harbingers (in an Ursa bomber), I am replaying now the earlier mission, once again. Getting to the jump point in an Ursa seems very difficult though, in case you want your wingmen to survice too (I can get there with the Delta bomber wing but all the other wingmen dead, but this makes the last mission impossible. The enemy fighters will kill both the Delta bombers and my Ursa long before we have chance to concentrate on doing anything against Lucifer. We really need all the wingmen to fend off those pesky enemy fighters, in order to buy us some time for bombing).

I'm not quite sure how to approach that second last mission in an Ursa, as trying to fight all the enemies seems undoable (I lose all wingmen to the Dragons, three of them can easily decimate all of Epsilon, Alpha and Beta wings). Two approaches I am trying:

1. From the second or third enemy fighter wave, leave one enemy alive (tell wingmen not to attack it) in order to get closer to the jump point. This way no new fighters come as long as that one enemy is alive.

Problem with this approach: telling my wingmen to ignore that one enemy gives it free hands to do whatever it wants. I once got it to follow me by hitting it a few times, and then just tried to avoid its shots while moving towards the jump point. But then suddenly he had a change of heart, and decided to go after my passive wingmen instead. In a short period of time it alone destroyed two of my wingmen, at which point I said phuck it and had to restart the mission.

2. While the game keeps insisting you have a time limit to get to the jump point, it seems there i no real limit, right? I have sometimes reached the jump point long after the limit, and still seem to teleport fine to the last mission. So I presume the whole time limit thing in the second last mission is bogus, or does missing it bring some negative effects to the last mission?

With that assumption, I try to stay near or behind the friendly Bastion ship. Especially when the enemy Thoths and Dragons attack, it seems important that they target Bastion instead of you or your wingmen, then you and your wingmen have a much better chance of killing them by surprise (as said, in free fight three Dragons seem to easily kill the whole Alpha, Beta and Epsilon wings, even if they are flying Hercules with twin-Prometheus). So, try to kill all enemy fighters near Bastion (tell all fighters to form on your wing between enemy waves so that they don't wander off from safety), and only after that rush towards the jump point. The time limit will have elapsed long before that, but the mission doesn't seem to be failed regardless.

Note though, I just read the Freespace walkthrough in GameFaqs, and it suggested that in the last mission I should order a Gamma wing to disable Lucifer. Gamma wing? I don't even recall seeing such wing in the last mission, these are the wings I have with me there:

Alpha (including me, and three wingmen)
Beta
Delta (the Ursa bombers who are supposed to destroy Lucifer's reactors)
Epsilon (the friendly Vasudian fighters)

How do I even get this Gamma wing, or have i just missed it?
Post edited February 16, 2016 by timppu
docbear1975: Inquisitor.
Let me know if you want any tips as you go through (not expert at it or anything, but I've figured some things about it that are useful.) What difficulty are you playing on? Class?
timppu: 1. From the second or third enemy fighter wave, leave one enemy alive (tell wingmen not to attack it) in order to get closer to the jump point. This way no new fighters come as long as that one enemy is alive.

Problem with this approach: telling my wingmen to ignore that one enemy gives it free hands to do whatever it wants. I once got it to follow me by hitting it a few times, and then just tried to avoid its shots while moving towards the jump point. But then suddenly he had a change of heart, and decided to go after my passive wingmen instead. In a short period of time it alone destroyed two of my wingmen, at which point I said phuck it and had to restart the mission.
I've played this a long time ago, and not on the highest difficulty. I think I had the last fighter disabled.
Rimworld. I have a lady settler named Rebecca who has a 'problem.' She runs around naked until she gets sick, goes to lay down, starts to feel better, then gets up and runs around naked until she's sick again. Then she lays down and sleeps until she feels better, then gets up and repeats it over again. Rebecca has not worked, ate, or done anything remotely productive in over a week. All she does is run around without clothes on like some kind of mental patient on a planet sized hamster wheel. LulZ.

Computers. Silly AI gonna silly AI. I feel like maybe having the other settlers wall in her in Sims style, but I can't bring myself to do it. Watching her flip out and be angry against food and clothing is very entertaining to watch.
toxicTom: I've played this a long time ago, and not on the highest difficulty. I think I had the last fighter disabled.
Yeah... I guess I could play it on e.g. Normal difficulty, and some walkthroughs suggest that you don't really have to play then, your wingmen will finish the mission for you even if you just stand there. Just keep yourself alive maybe fighting enemy fighters for 10 minutes, and you should be golden.

It seems none of that is applicable if playing the game in the hardest difficulty, it is like a totally different game then. Your wingmen will die, the bombers will fail, etc. It is all up to you.

When I check various youtube walkthroughs for that mission (most of them are for the SCP port though, not the original game), I'm surprised how passive the enemy autoturrets are in those videos. When I am playing, the damn autoturrets are constantly firing at me, very accurately too, and Lucifer is launching lots of missiles at me every 10 seconds or so. Maybe those videos are playing it on Normal or Easy, that's why it seems so easy.

Also, that one damn walkthough claims I should order Gamma wing to disable Lucifer... but there is no Gamma wing. Right. Maybe it is a typo he meant some other wing. No matter, which ever wing I order to disable Lucifer (or even all of them), they will always fail without causing much of harm to Lucifer's engines. Same if I order them to disarm Lucifer, at best they manage to do only minor damage to the weapons subsystem, or none at all.
Post edited February 16, 2016 by timppu
timppu: ...
Can you disable that last fighter, so no new ones spawn and it can't shoot up your wingmen?
timppu: ...
toxicTom: Can you disable that last fighter, so no new ones spawn and it can't shoot up your wingmen?
By "disable", do you mean killing its (Lucifer's) two engines, or destroying its two fighter bays?

The first one (killing engines) is supposed to switch off mission timer as then Lucifer can't escape anymore, so you have all the time to try to figure out how to destroy it (you don't necessarily have to destroy the five reactors then, you can simply pound its hull with your lasers then, but that will take a looooong time, which is why you need to prevent it from escaping by destroying the engines).

But, I presume enemy fighters will still appear from its innards then, even if the Lucifer is disabled. I saw a comment on some youtube video that by someone's count Lucifer will launch about 100 fighters one after another, if you really intend to fight them all off. To me that sounds undoable as you have no shields, unless you can come up with a way to fight 100 enemy fighters without ever getting hit yourself. It _might_ work with an Ursa bomber I guess, somehow flying in circles avoiding enemy shots, and letting your autoturret damage enemy fighters slowly but surely.

I didn't consider destroying the fighter bays, not sure how easy (nor useful) that is. I guess that would take care of the pesky enemy fighters, but they aren't the biggest threat anyway, as long as there are some wingmen who keep them busy for awhile. I think destroying either Lucifer's weapon subsystem (so that Delta bombers can destroy the reactors with Harbinger bombs), or the two engines (to prevent Lucifer from escaping), should be prioritized. Or, if you have six harbinger bombs, trying to destroy five reactors yourself right away, without caring about engines or weapons subsystems.

However, the problem destroying any of Lucifer's subsystems (be it engines, weapons, reactors...) is that:

- On Insane difficulty, your wingmen + the Delta bombers seem almost completely useless if you thought they'd kill any of the subsystems for you. They just can't do it. So you have to destroy any subsystems yourself. The Delta wing is occasionally able to destroy one or three (out of five) reactors, but that happens rarely, out of sheer luck I guess.

- But then, in order to do that, you really need to use harbinger bombs to destroy them, as it takes far too long to do it either with laser weapons or non-harbinger missiles/bombs. And you can't have Harbingers unless you fly a slow-ass Ursa bomber.

And if you want to fly an Ursa bomber, then you need to replay the earlier mission also in an Ursa bomber, which is very hard as you can't outrun any of the enemy fighters in one (and fighting them with a slow-ass Ursa is quite hard and taxing too, the autoturret helps a bit). Especially those Toths or was it Dragons who have some sort of weapons that seem to disable your Ursa bomber (your speed drops to 0) and you get direct damage to hull even from full shields, it seems.

That's where I am now, trying to survive the previous mission with my wingmen in that Ursa bomber. If I don't die myself, then at least I have usually lost all my wingmen, except the Delta bomber wing for some reason, before reaching the jump point, even if the wingmen were flying Hercules which is supposed to be the most powerful and most capable fighter craft in the game.

I still intend to crack this one. If everything else fails, I guess I will just play those two last missions in the easiest difficulty level. Phuck it, I could just as well cheat through them then.
timppu: <snip>
Note: All of my experience is from playing on Normal difficulty. I didn't have to resort to the AI manipulation that seems necessary, and I'm not a great dog fighter.

I've read that your performance/actions in some of the missions have an effect on events in later missions (like the Galatea's starting hull strength in a later mission after you are assigned to protect it while traveling through the asteroid field, and this mission where your wingmen status carries over). Maybe the Lucifer has a larger head start depending on how long you take to get through the second to last mission; I don't know.

I recall enjoying the last OC mission, with the various visual effects in space. I've seen someone else mention that no one has shields (you or them), and the enemy fighters are pretty easy prey without their shields (and I concur). I disabled the Lucifer so it couldn't escape, and ultimately I think I took out its 5 engines (in between wiping out enemy fighters). Have you tried using the Valkyrie and focusing on taking out enemy fighters in the last mission while your allied ships go for Lucifer? The Valkyrie isn't very durable, but it IS fast and maneuverable.

Have you checked whether you can call in reinforcements during either one of the two missions? It has been a while since I finished this game, so I don't remember if you can or not. Maybe that's how you get Gamma in there.
toxicTom: Can you disable that last fighter, so no new ones spawn and it can't shoot up your wingmen?
Or did you mean leaving one enemy fighter alive so that no new ones appear? Do you mean in the last mission, or the one before it?

I have tried that in the the earlier mission, but as I said, then that last fighter is free to cause harm e.g. to my passive wingmen (which I've told not to attack it), in case it turns its attention from me to them.

Not sure how to "disable" a fighter, do you need some specific weapon for that? At the moment I have two Prometheus, they do medium shield damage and high hull damage. They are not meant for disabling fighters, is there even such weapon in the game? I thought e.g. Distruptor and D-Advanced are for disabling (destroying) capital ship subsystems, not fighters.